The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Effect list by gaff type? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NightSG
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of NightSG
Just wondering if there's something like this somewhere. Basically, I'd like to see a list of effects that can be performed with a given gaff or combination. It seems like it would be handy when deciding what to carry to maximize the effects available, and what to learn so I can make better use of the gaffs I have.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Looks like everyone is ignoring your post.

Don't feel bad - great to have you on the Café and keep engaging.

I really don't know how to answer - I have never heard of such a list. Your question is a bit of a scattershot and hence I don't think people here may not know how to respond.

There are lots of DVD's specializing in Svengali decks, stripper, and all the rest.

Keep you questions focused and hopefully it will result in more responses next round.

Take care and good luck.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Kel says poof
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Kel says poof
I think saysold1 is right, there's a tonne of gaff tricks on sites like Penguin. The best place however, would be the bricks and mortar magic shops, especially if you haven’t really got a trick in mind and you’re just seeing what's available in a certain genre.

I don't have shops near me in Australia, so I jumped at the chance recently when I was in San Francisco checking out the Misdirection’s store. The beauty of standing in the shop in front of the owner (Who I think was Joe) is he will show you a bunch of tricks you may never find on a website. Perhaps this is because of our addiction (some of us) to the latest and the greatest.

Example: I went in looking for the Blizzard card trick and Joe showed me a similar trick "White Bikes" released in 1997....it was cheaper and just as cool as blizzard imo, just released years earlier and perhaps buried deep in the website pages under the search for "Gaffed card tricks"

Hope this helps a little.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
The other issue with your question/list request is there are many effects that are marketed, in print, or on dvd that may be able to be listed as using a certain gaff, but the creators probably wouldn't want that info in the public eye.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
As saysold alluded to; that's a pretty overall encompassing question to say the least. There are literally thousands of effects that depend upon gaffs, albeit they are more often than not specific to the particular effect/trick itself.

Other than that, and just to take a stab as to what I believe you are asking, i.e. something that you could always easily have on you, I would say; TT - PK ring - gaffed wallet (there are MANY) - and as for card effects and having the ability to being versatile ; Extractor (aside from the obvious fact of always having a normal deck of cards on you) and perhaps a coin shell. The list could go on, but it obviously has to end at some point. Oh, and by ALL means, QB2 if you can afford it. Hmm... a somewhat interesting question if I'm understanding your query, and if I am, I think that perhaps it would be what ‘utility’ devices to always have on you.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Look at all the kind & generous people here trying to help NightSG!

Of course what better person to ask a question regarding GAFFED card effects then Mr. Gaffed himself Smile

After reading his post it seems like he is hoping for a listing of effects that use R&S, or Sven, or whatever... I don't know of such an animal.

Craig Petty put out a nice FREE manuscript called ROUGHED I believe a few years back that lists a lot of ideas with that principle in particular.

You may have to assemble your own list of favorites and assemble them from there as a list.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
JH5magic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of JH5magic
A book that you may already have on your shelf that you may want to revisit is Jean Hugard’s Encyclopedia of Card tricks. It has chapters of effects with double back & double face cards, as well as standard gaff decks. It is also available in PDF format.

With that said, it would be a neat resource to have a list of each gaff card along with the name of the effect/book/author/page# where each of those effects can be found.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
There are many many card tricks that use gaffed cards. I can't say I ever see a comprehensive list of effects using specific gaffs. Simon Lovell, Jay Sankey, Dan Harlan and Liam Montier all have DVDs devoted to gaffed card magic. All come with the needed gaffs.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Denis Behr has a list of gaff cards and gaff decks.

[CARDS]
Carbon Card
Card and Coin Gimmicks
Card Case Gaff
Color Change Gaffs
Divided
Double Backer
Double Facer
Eccentric Gaffs
Fake Indices
Flap to simulate full Deck
Forcing Gaff
Half Card
Rough and Smooth (not full deck)
"Step gaff"
Thick Cards
Transparent Card a la Hofzinser

[DECK]
Al Koran
Brainwave & Invisible Deck
Forcing Deck
Marked deck
Menetekel
Miscellaneous
Rough and Smooth Decks
Short Deck
Stripper
Svengali

Hideo Kato
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
My mistake. For some reason I thought that perhaps the OP was not just referring to card tricks, but using the word 'gaff' as a generic term to all types of tricks.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Effect list by gaff type? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL