The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Who's the best rubber band magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-11-18 10:25, twistedace wrote:
Self fulfilling prophecy I guess, if you don't like rubberband magic and don't think of it as a miracle yourself then neither will your audience.

Hi Bryan, I agree with you 100% that sometimes an effect doesn't play well because of self-fulfilling prophecy, but that's not why rubber band magic didn't play well for me.

I originally approached this area of magic with a positive attitude and excitement, but I discarded these effects because my audience's reactions weren't as strong as I had hoped for. That's just my experience, though, and others' experiences might differ.

Quote:
On 2003-11-23 02:12, Dynamike wrote:
Where can I find these routines, Larry?

Kenner published his version in his book "Totally Out of Control." He also published an earlier version entitled "Battle of the Bands" in the "Trap Door." "Ebony and Ivory" is a marketed item available from its originator, Anders Moden (the same guy who invented the "Healed and Sealed" soda effect), at http://www.magi.nu/ebony/EbonyIvory.html

Larry
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you, Larry. I appreciate your support.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I have an unopened copy of Chris Kenner's "Band Across the Globe" manuscript. I got out of magic for years and I think that the manuscript came in during my phase out around 1986. Anyway, in February of this year, I got back into magic and I just rediscovered this "Band Across the Globe" manuscript in my stack of stuff that had been boxed up and stored.

Is anyone familiar with this effect and, is it different from Kenner's "Missing Link" or "Totally out of Control"?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2003-11-11 06:44, HiraseMagic wrote:
I still vote for Dan Harlan. He changed the whole world of rubber band magic.

While that is probably true, that doesn't make him the "best" performer.

David Copperfield changed the world of stage illusion (and he makes the most $$). And Blaine changed the world of "street magic" (changing it into something it never was intended to be!) I certainly wouldn't consider either of them to be the "best". Neither are even particularly "good" magically, IMHO.

They are (or employ) excellent marketers, however.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Amazing that no one, but no one, has mentioned (or have I missed it) Simon Aronson's Ring on Rubber Band. There is a video presentation, I think on The Second Deal, and it is absolutely impossible looking. It is fantastically well photo-illustrated in his book “Try the Impossible”. (For me, that means trying to like him, but that is a different story.)
Marty K

Turk, I may be wrong but I think that your effect has to do with shooting a rubber band across the floor and having it boomerang return.
Marty K

Larry,
At last someone with the same experience. People just sort of look at it. The only one ever truly amazed was me, when I saw Ammar with Ring on Band, but 'Handcuffs' and even the 'linking rubber bands' seems to elicit - for me - only a big audience yawn. I had hoped for more.
Marty K
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Traveling Cash is one of my favorite rubber bands effect. Looks really weird.
I can remember Michael Weber do a killer rubber band routine on Swedish television about 10 years ago.
But I can’t remember the name of it.
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
Hmm, it is strange. When I do CMH no one understands what it supposed to be, even with patter. Smile
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Kjellstrom- Michael Weber published a killer linking band effect called "Linking Stanley" in Richard's Almanac. Perhaps that is what you saw?
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Kenner also had a neat little manuscript on the Boomerang Rubber Band. I do like his rubber band magic a lot. I think I may dig out my copy of the Trap Door again and relearn the Battle of the Bands.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have never seen any one do the boomerang band effect. If thers 'a demo floating around please advise, I have Chris Kenners manuscript.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
I'ts on the Harlan videos

Kenner taught it in a manuscript

Weber taught it in Genii for free!

I think Kenner wrote that Weber taught him.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I like Joe Rindfleisch the best.
I hesitated to add to this thread at the risk of sounding boastful, but I'd hate to be forgotten for my positive contribution to what has become a recognized genre of magic.
In 1986, an "underground" movement was started when Johnny Ace Palmer showed Daryl a rubberband trick called "Traveling Cash." Yep, my trick, shown with my blessing. The first new ungimmicked rubberband trick to be invented in many years. Up to that point there were just a handful of impromptu band effects -- The Jumping Band (Stanley Collins), Broken & Restored (origin disputed), Penetrating Bands (Arthur Setterington, CMH--Ammar), Rubber Ringer (Bill Kalush), Rising Ring (Martin Gardner), and I'll even include Boomerang Band (unknown) although very few had heard of it since it was unpublished. Many thought that rubberbands were a "dead issue" that had already been fully explored & were only suitable for puzzles (see Elastrix).
Michael Weber and others were working on applications of a cut band glued back together with SuperGlue. This inspired me to try to create an impromptu linking. I did, and then continued to create in directions that had not been explored.
This groundbreaking work can be seen on "Band-Shark" the video from A-1 MultiMedia if you can find it. This is the source that inspired others. I still think my Original Linking Bands is the best. It is a miracle in my audience's eyes. I'll be happy to show it to you personally, anytime. Others have built upon the concepts I originated. I prefer impromptu, direct and visual. That's why I like what Joe Rindfleisch has done the best.
Regarding "Pinnacle": Yes, it's very good. Russ has cleaned up much of Kalush's and my work. I am uncredited, but it was just an oversight. You can see the similarities to "Another Ringer" from Band-Shark. The best part of Russ's routine (IMO) is the gimmicked phase. Something I probably will never do since I prefer my bands ungimmicked.
I think the entire idea of "who's best" to be flawed. I know what I like, and I know what plays. Other magicians may not like me, or my style, but I find that what I do plays strongly for audiences. That's what matters.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well thanks Dan, for reviving this long lost thread, and hopefully their will be more contributions to it, but even with the flawed concept, you still get my vote.

I'm still working on what I have learned from your tapes, and it may take a lifetime, at that!
]
My question is this: How do you possibly learn and perfect so many effects? You know more things with a simple rubberband than I could ever have guessed could possibly exist!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
Thank You Dan I'm flattered!!!
Your material has always been a source of inspiration. I have also appreciated your constant support through the making of elastrix vol.2

Over the summer I shot over 11 hours of video footage with L&L Publishing. One of the reasons Louis took a shot with me and my material was through the reccomendation from you Dan and I thank you for that.

Also to mention, One of those DVD's will be entirerly on rubberband magic.
here's the line up.

1. Quick drop restore
2. What Knot
3. No Knot
4. No Way Restoration
5. B.A.R. Band
6. Fingertip Restoration
7. Smarty Pans
· Variation of Pans! From “Elastrix Vol.2”Pg.1
8. Out Side break
9. The Ring
10. Grand Opening
11. Medusa Stare
12. Stretching it
13. Retention Jump
14. Hand Jump
· Variation of Stanley Collins Jumping Bands
15. Ultimate Jump
· Variation of Stanley Collins Jumping Bands
16. Bermuda Vanish
· Variation of the technique used it One T(w)O One in “Elastrix Vol.2” Pg.10
17. Telekinesis
18. Pans Link
19. Corrinda Crazy (Across the great divide)
· Similar to Stanley Collins Meets Corinda by Ken Kuroki “Five times Five Japan” Pg.48
20. Six Strand
· Is a variation of Dan Harlens Traveling Cash which first appeared in “The Minotaur” November 1988 (Sneak Preview)
21. Interlaced Vanish
22. Eat Away
23. Interweave
· variation of Michael Goldman’s twisted from Dan Harlen’s Video “BandShark”
24. Crazy penatration
25. Hollow hand
26. Speghetti up the nose flurry
27. Color Changing Bands
28. Fast and Roose
· Variation of the classic Ruse Fast and Loose
29. Safty Band
30. Delayed Bands
Elastrix Vol 2 Stuff
1. Rubber Necking
2. Jo-Dan Link
3. Remote link
4. One two one

It will take a little time to have all of the dvd's edited but it should be out soon.

Joe Rindfleisch
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
Doug Howe
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Doug Howe
Okay, I'm the first in line to get this new Rubber Band DVD! Joe RindFleisch's "Elastrix 2" is awesome, and I have all 4 of Dan Harlan's Rubberband tapes. Both of these guys are my heroes!
-=> Rubber Dougie <=-
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Look out world! Here comes Joe Rindfleisch. With the release of his DVDs he is certain to cement his reputation as a magic dynamo. I know I am looking forward to them. I have no vested interest in his success beyond the fact that I know he is exceptionally creative and deserves to be recognized for it. Good luck, Joe!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dan great to see you posting on the Café .As I stated earlier You are the rubberband king, and your videos on the bands are the very best,
Joe your new dvd on the bands sounds impressive,
can't wait for its realese.
vinny
ps my favorite effect as of this date is Chris Kenners missing link
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Who's the best rubber band magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL