The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Neilson Heinz Ketchup Bottle - Vanished for Good?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:
On 2013-01-31 20:44, mcharisse wrote:
But nothing in people's ' experience suggests coins are anything less than solid. That is increasingly less true of ketchup bottles.

Marc

...hmmmm...thinkin' like a magician who spends more time rationalizing what audiences think rather than actually performing for them.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Everything has a price LOL). No, I'm not parting with it.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:
On 2013-01-31 21:41, nonvpro wrote:
Everything has a price LOL). No, I'm not parting with it.

Good for you...I do the vanishing ketchup bottle at EVERY performance...has anyone ever called me on the fact that it is now possible to find Heinz ketchup bottles which come in plastic containers so therefore my ketchup bottle comes across as outdated and difficult to relate to...nope. Do people react with astonishment when I crumple up the paper bag with the ketchup bottle in it...yep...every time!!!
Chrishue
View Profile
New user
NYC
62 Posts

Profile of Chrishue
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 00:27, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I had one and I sold it for $500.00. A product like this really puts you in the drivers seat when someone MUST have one... Smile

If I can find a buyer for $500 I will sell the one I have in a heartbeat.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Nothing ever vanishes for good on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Nielsen-Van......94257365
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Magicgettogether,

I can't really tell if it's a fluted bottle or not! It appears not to be.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I expected to get some flak from my comments on glass versus plastic, but I agree with Jamy Ian Swiss that we ought to aim our magic at the most intelligent members of the audience, And it's always worth asking ourselves about the psychological underpinnings of any illusion. Al Baker is right that we ought not run when nobody is chasing us, but that not ought be an excuse for settling for typical, polite reactions to typical tricks. I think the bottle vanish is predicated on the assumption audience members make that glass can't be crumpled in a bag. If you doubt that, try crumpling an obviously plastic item in a bag and see what reaction you get. So it stands to reason that as ketchup bottles become more commonly plastic, the trick will lose effectiveness with more and more audience members.
That's not to say the trick wont fool some, or even most, but I think it is on the way out.
The beer bottle, on the other hand is still strong because people naturally assume they are glass. I've even worked out a presentation for kids using the beer bottle, which I will PM to anyone interested. No doubt there are skilled performers who can wow an audience with the ketchup trick, but it never hurts to think deeply about why magic works and all the evidence suggests it works because of the assumptions an audience member brings to the table. So if you use the ketchup bottle, more power to you, but if it were me, Id be thinking of ways to prove it is glass and add other layers to improve the mystery.

marc
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
While the "glass" may be part of the conviction level, a "full" bottle is part of the deception. Try crushing an actual full plastic ketchup bottle and see how collapsible it is. Granted an empty bottle will collapse (with the tell-tale "crush" sound), but a full bottle will not (without making a big mess)...
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Agreed. So how do you increase conviction that it is full?

Marc
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
I'm surprised someone hasn't made a vanishing bottle that combines the milk pitcher idea and the passe passe bottles gimmick that allows you to pour some fluid out. Ketchup wouldn't work as well as the whole point of ketchup is that is flows slowly (unless it is old and runny - "anticipation... is making you wait")...

You still have a compression issue with the trapped air (unless you create a bottle wherein the fluid chamber is vacuum sealed)...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My goodness, a ketchup bottle is see thru glass, visually the audience can see the "contents", Note: Ketchup is red color, glass is clear. Affirmation of this trick involves the sight sense as well!

No if you really need to prove what you are holding is real, just buy the blotter. Thus you can remove the lid and pour out Ketchup. Yes, it works, buy one and convenience yourself.

Then vanish with your favorite method.
lelando
View Profile
New user
has stuck his foot in his mouth in every one of his
60 Posts

Profile of lelando
Quote:
On 2013-02-10 09:49, sleightly wrote:
I'm surprised someone hasn't made a vanishing bottle that combines the milk pitcher idea and the passe passe bottles gimmick that allows you to pour some fluid out. Ketchup wouldn't work as well as the whole point of ketchup is that is flows slowly (unless it is old and runny - "anticipation... is making you wait")...

Someone has! Maybe not using the same methods you mention, but it's the same idea, conceptually. Check out the Vanishing Coke Bottle. They make full or empty versions that work like any other vanishing bottle, but they also make a 1/2-full version, which has an upper-part that can be filled with real Cola, so you can pour out (what appears to be) half the bottle, then vanish within a paper bag, as usual. And if you start your routine w/ an examinable *real* bottle, then do a switch just before you open it, pour some out, and subsequently vanish it, the factor of impossibility increases drastically!

The only real downside is that it isn't a *perfect* match to my locally-sold bottles (the gimmick is slightly smaller, with a similar-but-not-exactly-the-same shape), and it has a South American Spanish label... but it's certainly close enough for a stage show, and you could always replace the label.

Cheers!
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
As I stated previously, I have the original fluted Heinz Ketchup bottle and original static cling vinyl labels. Thinking about parting with them.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I was very lucky to buy a new Heinz Vanishing Ketchup Bottle. Yes the Original Neilson.
I was worried that since you could buy plastic ketchup bottles at the store, it may not be effective anymore.
However, I was surprised at the strong reaction I got.
It does not look like the same plastic bottles at the grocery store.
Mine has more shine to it and It looks more like glass. I think that helps a bit.
So when I crush it, they were very surprised!! I would not sell mine for $1000.00.
I have also come up with different ways to present it other than just putting it in a bag and crushing it.
It is a lot of fun to do and for the right audience with the right presentation, it still plays well. Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Neilson Heinz Ketchup Bottle - Vanished for Good?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL