The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WHAT??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
This is the most extraordinary science article I've ever read. Hoax? If not, why isn't this on the front page of every newspaper?

"Their finding suggests that the previously impossible idea of a combustion engine that is 100 percent efficient may actually be achievable."

http://www.tgdaily.com/general-sciences-......t-hotter
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
They will never reach absolute zero.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
But they already did, tommy, and beyond:

"When they cooled an atomic gas to extreme lows, known as ‘ultracooling’, physicists at the Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich and the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics in Germany created a gas that went beyond absolute zero."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That'll be the day.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 14:46, tommy wrote:
That'll be the day.

Actually, that WAS the day. They already did it.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
If he chooses not to acknowledge it, then it didn't happen.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 13:44, landmark wrote:

This is the most extraordinary science article I've ever read. Hoax? If not, why isn't this on the front page of every newspaper?

"Their finding suggests that the previously impossible idea of a combustion engine that is 100 percent efficient may actually be achievable."

http://www.tgdaily.com/general-sciences-......t-hotter

Pretty much the same content in each of the three articles below ... the first is the original:

http://www.mpg.de/6776082/negative_absolute_temperature

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201......3516.htm

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/111......-010513/

"The meaning of a negative absolute temperature can best be illustrated with rolling spheres in a hilly landscape, where the valleys stand for a low potential energy and the hills for a high one. The faster the spheres move, the higher their kinetic energy as well: if one starts at positive temperatures and increases the total energy of the spheres by heating them up, the spheres will increasingly spread into regions of high energy. If it were possible to heat the spheres to infinite temperature, there would be an equal probability of finding them at any point in the landscape, irrespective of the potential energy. If one could now add even more energy and thereby heat the spheres even further, they would preferably gather at high-energy states and would be even hotter than at infinite temperature. The Boltzmann distribution would be inverted, and the temperature therefore negative. At first sight it may sound strange that a negative absolute temperature is hotter than a positive one. This is simply a consequence of the historic definition of absolute temperature, however; if it were defined differently, this apparent contradiction would not exist."

Speaking of cold:

http://www.thecoldestjourney.org/home/expedition/

"The 2000-mile journey across the continent has for many years been considered too perilous to try and the expedition's six-man "Ice Team" - led by Sir Ranulph Fiennes - will have to overcome one of earth's most hostile environments if they are to succeed, exposing themselves to temperatures dropping close to -90c and operating in near permanent darkness."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My brains hurt.

Very cool article landmark (and balducci), thank you.

-Mary
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
If one could now add even more energy and thereby heat the spheres even further, they would preferably gather at high-energy states and would be even hotter than at infinite temperature.

What does hotter than infinite temperature mean? As I understand the English language, that is a meaningless statement. (And yes I'm aware of the various kinds of infinity).
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
That's negative gravity for you.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 16:46, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 14:46, tommy wrote:
That'll be the day.

Actually, that WAS the day. They already did it.

Bob, don't know the drill yet? If you think it happened, that's a hoax; it didn't really happen. On the other hand, if you think it didn't happen, that's a hoax. It happened.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, Pop.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 17:49, Mary Mowder wrote:
My brains hurt.

Mary

:) How many brains do you have Mary? Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Just the one but if you had Cow Brains (not that I'm apt to) for lunch that wouldn't necessarily mean you had more than one cow brain for lunch.

Ha! I had the brains to get out of that one.

Nuff said.

-Mary Mowder
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I sent this article to a friend and his reply was that he so glad to hear about it, because as he gets older his energy has dropped to near absolute zero and he's heartened to know that if he hangs on a little longer he'll have more pep than ever!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WHAT??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL