The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Downton Abbey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I've only seen the last episode of season 2 and the first of season 3. Maggie Smith and Shirley McLaine are a hoot. I'm hooked!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
They were talking about Downton Abbey on NPR last week, inverviewing some of the actors (both upstairs and downstairs). Apparently it's quite popular.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'm not quite hooked, but I'd love to see more of the house itself - Highclere Castle in Newbury, Berkshire, home of the Earls of Carnarvon, including the one who sponsored Howard Carter's digs in Egypt. A lot of the indoor shots are in sets built for the series, but some of the larger rooms are the real thing.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Do you ever come over for conventions, George? Highclere is open to the public, well worth the visit!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 19:11, George Ledo wrote:
I'm not quite hooked, but I'd love to see more of the house itself - Highclere Castle in Newbury, Berkshire, home of the Earls of Carnarvon, including the one who sponsored Howard Carter's digs in Egypt. A lot of the indoor shots are in sets built for the series, but some of the larger rooms are the real thing.

On my PBS station last week, before the actual series, there was a 1 hour documentary on Highclere. It's still run by a Lord and Lady, but they have turned it into a series of money-making tourist opportunities in order to pay for the vast expense of running the place.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 05:18, tomsk192 wrote:
Do you ever come over for conventions, George? Highclere is open to the public, well worth the visit!

I haven't been over there for a while, so I think I'm overdue. Thanks for the tip. Is Blenheim Palace still open? That was worth the visit too (I guess you can tell I'm into architecture).
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It certainly is: I grew up in Oxford, just down the road. Blenheim is a great favourite: Vanburgh!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 11:48, tomsk192 wrote:
I grew up in Oxford, just down the road.

I'm drooling!!!!!
www.georgefledo.net

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It was a treat walking to school! Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I had read about Downton Abbey for a while, then two weeks ago I decided to watch a couple of episodes on Amazon Prime and I was HOOKED! Great show, only a couple of scenes that I would feel a bit uncomfortable watching with my children, only a few instances of minor cursing and enough memorable characters and scenes to keep it interesting. I agreee about Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLaine - they are a HOOT together!

Thank goodness for Amazon Prime. I can find a new favorite show and watch the entire thing without having to wait! Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
DA is just like a 70's soap opera similar to that show General Hospital my granny used to watch.
My wife loves DA. I've watched a few eps with her, just not my cup of tea. Smile Enjoy.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Oh man, tonight's episode concerning Sybil was overwhelming. Very entertaining.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Downton Abbey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL