The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Ambitious Card Routine (video) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sukria
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of sukria
Hello there, if I may, I'd like to receive comments on my performing of the ACR, I know it's not perfect and I'd like to have experimented remarks on waht I do here Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9MowfuVMjg

After watching the video, I think I should remove the part in the middle, the one just before the spread pass (which on the opposite I think is the best change in the video, maybe). The routine is maybe a bit too long and may be better without that slow thing in the middle Smile

Any way, if you have constructive remarks, please do! Smile

The idea of a little contest/game about videos seems to please some members of the café, please join the discussion if you like: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=2&24
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
That was good. I thought it was very clean and visual. Well done!

However, ACRs are usually quite boring, don't you think? There's only so many times a spectator can watch a card go into the middle than jump to the top before it gets repetitive. Magicians spend so much effort learning these fancy moves to accomplish a feat, but to a spectator it all looks the same.

Mix up your routine a bit. Throw in some surprises, like the card goes down to the bottom instead of the top. Maybe a card will change to the selected card while sitting on a table or in a spectator's hands. Maybe the card will appear folded up inside your wallet. The possibilities are endless.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 13:04, satellite23 wrote:
. . . ACRs are usually quite boring, don't you think?

Here's one that isn't: Pop Haydn's.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 19:16, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 13:04, satellite23 wrote:
. . . ACRs are usually quite boring, don't you think?

Here's one that isn't: Pop Haydn's.

Now, that's an Ambitious Card routine. Smile
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
I got a man crush on Mr. haydn.

Billy
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Eh. so so. create a performance routine to entertain people. Not a youtube clip to show off your skills to other magicians. That will get you far more of the respect you are so desperately seeking with this posting.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-18 15:43, Chad Sanborn wrote:
...That will get you far more of the respect you are so desperately seeking with this posting.

"desperately seeking"? A bit harsh, don't you think? Sounds like he was just asking for some advice and comments, not an ego stroke.

Anyway - I really liked the first move. Looked really magical. Then there were some standard moves you see in most ACR's - nothing wrong with that, they're popular for a reason - mixed in with a couple of shifts which I didn't feel worked quite as well. Maybe a little too much coverage of the deck combined with a bit of a fishy motion. I do like the way you mixed up several completely different methods - there's some good variety and you'll definitely keep people guessing. But I just felt like a couple of shifts later in the routine didn't look as magical as the first one you did, which sort of runs counter to the idea that the routine should get more magical and impossible as the routine progresses.

One phase that wasn't in the video but which I like (and don't see a whole lot of other magicians doing) is the one from Harry Lorayne's ACR where he inserts the card 3/4 of the way into the middle of the deck, turns it over to show that it's really their card, pulls the card out just a little bit farther and cuts a couple of small piles to the top of the deck to "bury the card deeper," then pushes the card all the way in. Then it's back on top. It's a simple phase that can come in handy if people opine that you're not really putting the card back into the deck. You can say, "you're suspicious - I like that..." and turn the deck over to show them their card is indeed poking out of the middle.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Ambitious Card Routine (video) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL