The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The type of crowd and how it affects your hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The opening to your act can draw certain types of spectators and repel other types of spectators.

This can greatly affect your "hat". It has for me, in the past.

I've heard Kozmo speak to this point before as well.

questions:

what kind of crowd is easy to gather but hard to "hat" ?
what types of crowd do you try NOT to draw to avoid a weak hat?
what kind of show are you trying to communicate?
what kind of show are you trying not to communicate?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hi there I am just going to share quickly what I do then answer your questions. I feel there is exceptions to all rules and what works in one place might not work in another. Some times it can be different at opposite ends of the street.

I do a 10-15 minute 3 trick small Circle act to 15-30ish people at a time. And I do 2-3 a hour. I busk in Queen street in Auckland New Zealand.

Tour groups of young kids under 14. There watch and enjoy but have no independent money. Tour groups older can be the same problem. Yet I find them good fun and usefull to attract more people. And the other week we had some huge groups of Australian going around in groups of 12. They were fun and most tiped.

This might be just me begin a week end worrier type busker but a crowds a crowd I just go for it a see what happens. I have had posh frock well of family watch my show from beigin to end and done a few extra tricks for the kids and nothing. Just the oher day I did a card trick for and a rough sleeper/ street drinker and they tiped me.

I try to get across that I am a fun and caring guy. And that my magic is of a professional standard. I point out that I am a professional street entrainer. Meaning I have chosen to do it here I am not a stage reject. My 3 tricks carry a linking theme of the history of magic. and little curiosities like the purse frame and jumbo coins.

I don't want it to look like I am rehearsing. I don't want it to be offisve. Also I am not a beggar.

I was a bit scared to be the first to reply but I be fun to see how of the mark I was. Like I say I am bnot a full time busking pro. And it took me a while to get were I am now. Which I am proud but I also know I have a long way to go. So iam ready to listen.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Frank, Do I get a prize?
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I like the questions, here are my answers:

Kids are easy to build and Impossible to hat. I try not to build Kid crowds without parents. At Festivals when the director wants me to go to the "Kids" section I refuse, Kids don't have money and not every festival goer has Kids....

I try to draw everyone. That is the "Artist" in me. I don't discriminate. I find a lot of times when peoople say that they don't have cash or don't have money and watch the show, they magically make a $5 or a few 1's appear when the hat gets passed. I think that if you educate people, don't push too hard, and make sure everyone is having fun then the money will come.

As far as a show, I am trying to make people feel the magic. I want to transport them to a place that they couldn't otherwise see. I want them to both laugh and be amazed. I try to convey an atmosphere of happiness.

I try not to push too hard for the money. So I don't communicate an aggressive show. I am also not shy about explaining it. I try to explain busking to people throughout my show. I explain that I am trying to give them something valuable and if they feel it's valuable then that is what they should put in the hat. I like to warn them ahead of the actual hat passing that way there is no shock. It helps the hat too.

I do about a 20 minute show, sometimes less. I typically do 4 tricks not including the draw and build. If the crowds build, I do shows, I don't care who stops. I have found that worrying about the money makes you make less. If you just try to make people smile, the money follows. One day I did my show for a group of 5 people. No one else watched it was early, about 9 am and the first show of the day. I have a line in my finale where I say, "Will you fill my hat with $20 bills?" The guy was smiling and nodding yes...At the end he put 2 20's in the hat. It is impossible to tell what someone is going to give before you hat.

If you try not to "build certain crowds" you are trying not have a FAT HAT in my opinion.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Funny, but I don't think of it that way. yes the type of crowd will change what you will pull in, or what you do, to make the best of the crowd you have. but it is some thing to think on...
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Strollers are the worst. Not just the stroller's occupant, but the adults pushing as well.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
1.what kind of crowd is easy to gather but hard to "hat" ?
2.what types of crowd do you try NOT to draw to avoid a weak hat?
3.what kind of show are you trying to communicate?
4.what kind of show are you trying not to communicate?

1.kids and Asians
2.Asians and Indians
3.A "wow" show
3. An "its for kids" show
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter

1. Those without means
2. Draw is Draw, there is no avoid
3. Let's all have some fun
4. It's all about me
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2013-01-18 23:30, Nick W wrote:

1.kids and Asians
2.Asians and Indians
3.A "wow" show
3. An "its for kids" show

Nick

Don't you spend a lot of time in Thailand?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2013-01-11 22:24, Frank Starsini wrote:
The opening to your act can draw certain types of spectators and repel other types of spectators.

This can greatly affect your "hat". It has for me, in the past.

I've heard Kozmo speak to this point before as well.

questions:

From years of Markets,Buskerfestivals & street shows experience...

1-Elderly Asians in groups will watch all day but never Tip- even returning to watch again...but no tip

2-Elderly Asians & usually street kids or Smelly Winos who really annoy everybody..

3- Fun but with a Professional performer who knows what hes doing & everyone enjoys & says Wow...

4-Cheap looking inexperienced performer using Grubby props, Bad Magic & offensive to people watching....

cheers
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Well said Brent.

imgic, I do. At the public places I have performed at (all around Asia) theres heaps of Indian tourists, Chinese tourists, Arab tourists, etc. All are horrible tippers.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I'm not that experienced to pick and choose who and/or what I
draw. But, I've stalled as I tied to get my tip to a certain
number of people with bantering with the people waiting, yet
I always feel uncomfortable if I make them wait too long.
But here is what I experienced within the last year...

kids and some teenage groups.

I don't pick and choose...

Tricks aren't just for kids...we can all have fun.

I'm a bum with a gimmick...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Quote:
On 2013-01-18 23:30, Nick W wrote:

2.Asians and Indians

I agree partially and strongly disagree partially.

First, if the Asians are Chinese and not Chinese Americans, then I agree. The reason is because the Chinese culture is not a tipping culture.

The Indians I disagree with so much that I can't even think of a number to represent how much I disagree with it. I have never received less than a $20 tip from a group of Indian spectators and several times I have received that during the first show and because they missed the first part of the show they watched a second time and tipped small bills again.

Now this has happened to me about 5 times where I work but it has happened every time I have had a group of Indian spectators.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The type of crowd and how it affects your hat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL