The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Carlyle Mental Key (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MindreaderDavid
View Profile
New user
St Paul
67 Posts

Profile of MindreaderDavid
I just ordered the Key and have been talking to him through email and he really is a cool guy.

I also got his Skype information.

It's weird, he seems like an older version of me. The only other person I've ever really got that impression from was when I was talking to Craig Browning. And they are almost 2 completely different people...so...I'm not quite sure how that works.

But thank you guys for pointing me in this direction. Talking to Ed and earning that friendship was worth the extra money spent on this key
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
On one hand, I don't have Carlyle's Key, but on the other hand, I had the chance to spend some time with him and some of the fellows he was mentoring, and frankly, after 30 years of interest in mentalism, I realized the sky had just opened and the proverbial choir sang, and I "got it". Ed helped me understand what mentalism is supposed to be. He's one of those people who doesn't just sell you a prop, but teaches and mentors you not only in its use but in the art itself.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Don't have Ed's key, but I might soon after reading these posts. I have dealt with Ed recently and his is one of the nicest and most generous in the industry. I needed a prop quickly for a gig that was in a few days and he went that day, as a matter of fact he left for the post office while I was still on the phone with him! Now that's customer service!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Ed is one of the kindest, most generous individuals I've ever had any business dealings with. No matter what I've ever ordered from him, as Bob mentioned above, he has always included a little extra in my order.

I've had two of the keys from Ed and the way I remedied that problem was simple: I quit carrying it in my pocket! I found a very old looking bag (made out of antique style pillow ticking), so it fits along with the aged look of the key. By keeping the key in this bag, it is protected from any rubbing that could remove the "special something".

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Ed is a great mind in Mentalism but best of all, a nice and gentle person.

I don't have his key, but my good friend Mauricio has it and he told me that is great.

I use for shows the Mentalcraft one and its incredible. Well balanced an thanks to the craft work, I can transform it quickly into a pendulum and viceversa.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
I have Ed's key and it is really good, especially with his handling. His butter tub prediction is another item that is fantastic. Great idea, Amira, for turning it into a pendulum!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Bad news. Fun Inc is no longer carrying Haunted Keys when they run out as they have lost their source. Which means Ray has lost his source.

As of a couple of days ago, He had 8 left. I bought 3 yesterday. Before you order, make sure you check to see if he has any left.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I had just bought a new one recently, Bill...glad I did! The great thing is that if the "rust" starts to wear off, send it back to Carlyle and he'll re-rust it...at least, that's what he says on his DVDs.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
The end of an era! Ray just wrote me that they are all spoken for. He's even tried another source for them and no dice.
MindreaderDavid
View Profile
New user
St Paul
67 Posts

Profile of MindreaderDavid
I received mine on Friday. It works great! Glad I ordered it when I did lol.

So they aren't making these anymore? At all?
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
Machina
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Machina
Resurrection:

I have just bought my second key from Carlyle. I bought the first a year ago which I lost. Four months ago I moved to the the states. He sent me an email straight away:"Just checking you are not in South Africa anymore and I should post this to New York?" What a memory! Great service, friendly, helpful and support to Skype with.

So, he has stock, he has great customer skills and most definitely if you have the chance: skype with him!
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
Machina
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Machina
Ps you can send the key back to him and he will re- age it for minimal $
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Not sure whether this will help anyone here, but I have some tips on aging the key permanently when the temporary 'patina' wears off on Ed's keys. I discovered this through a lot of trial and error when Ed was out of stock of his keys; I managed to locate a Fun Inc. key from another source that still had stock, sans Ed's patina work.

Warning: this process uses acid and can therefore be pretty dangerous if proper care isn't taken. The result, however, is excellent and well worth the investment of time, as the key will look exactly as it should, without needing to be 're-aged'. If you decide to do this, please take the necessary safety precautions and don't risk it. You've been warned.

First, you'll need to remove the chrome plating on the key. 60-80 grit sandpaper will do the trick, but be warned it's a bit of a task getting into all the nooks and crannies of the key, particularly around the business end that would turn the wards in the lock (assumimg it was a functioning key). The goal here is to completely remove all of the shiny top chrome plated layer that protects the steel beneath. Be prepared for this process to take a good while, but once done, you'll be left with a dull and scratched surface. You'll know it's done as the difference in colour is pretty noticeable. You will be able to see any remnants of chrome clearly, these have to go otherwise the next step won't be as effective on the final result. The scratches from the sandpaper will actually aid in the aged look and feel, so don't be concerned about it. It's supposed to be an old key, after all.

Once you have stripped the chrome plating off, it's time for the dangerous part. You'll need muriatic acid (available at most hardware stores, 31% is the standard for off the shelf).

Important: do this outside and take the precautions of wearing thick rubber gloves and suitable eye protection. Do not breathe the vapours in and also wear a breathing mask. Pour enough acid in a GLASS (not plastic or metal) bowl or vessel so that it will cover the key when laid flat. You don't need a huge amount here.

Carefully put the key in and let the acid do its work, checking periodically. You are done when the entire key has a layer of orange/brown active rust covering it. Shouldn't take a long period of time.

Important: you will need to neutralise the acid so you can dispose appropriately. Never pour acid down the drain. Remove the key with a pair of tongs or tweezers and wash it in plain water to remove any residual traces of acid.

With the acid bath still outside, neutralise with bicarbonate of soda, adding slowly and gently. There will be a strong reaction here so take it easy and don't go overboard. You want to continue adding bi carb until the reaction stops, and you'll be left with a much safer and neutral solution that can now be safely disposed of.

Once this is done, the final step is to leave the now rusty key in a mug of very strong black tea (no need to boil the water, I used three tea bags squeezed in a mug of cold water) for a couple of days. This will stain the key black and the final product will be a key that looks and feels aged and will stay that way.

Yes it's a bit of a ball ache, but for me it was the only way of getting the key looking the way it should at the time.

I hope this is of help to people who may be looking for a more permanent solution to having an aged key.

Elliot
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Elliot, thanks for posting that. Not sure I will be doing it anytime soon, but the process seems straightforward enough if prioer care is taken.
John
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
No problem jstreiff, hopefully it's useful to someone out there.

Elliot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Carlyle Mental Key (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL