The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Removing card pips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
I've always just use a white Staedler eraser, nothing more and have never been questioned about the mark left by the eraser as it has to be tilted into the light just righ to even see it, however these finishes like Acetone sound very interesting especially if they get rid of the "rubbed" look of the card, although that has never been problem for me.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=staedtler......00%3B345
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2013-02-09 12:37, korttihai_82 wrote:
Where to find good finish material? Michael Weber one told me some graphic spray but I never could find it in finland. I have tons of self made cards from FAKO sheets but they look bad because if they reflect any light you immediately see that the finish is missing on part of the card.

J-M

Try the brand LUKAS (could be available online for Finland).
http://www.boesner.com/shop/farben/malhi......v-schutz (in German)

Something similar to that may work too...
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I have in the past used an electric draftsman's eraser with a medium erase stick to do the job. It beats the hand method and only takes seconds without a lot of work. I usually will buff the area up a gum rubber stick to put the shine back on. Not sure if these are available anymore with CADCAM programs replacing the "art" side of drafting.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm picking up some good tips. here, too. I'm an ace when it comes to card splitting, but erasing pips is something I need to explore deeper.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Tfet
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Tfet
Try nail polish remover on a micro fiber cloth if you don't have any pure acetone. (remember to protect your hands). Just use a little bit.

As for the finish, I've had good results using Krylon Workable fixatif. I have cards I made up a few years ago still going strong with this finish. If your looking for a more traditional finish, (And a nice finish at that) Try this: http://www.lybrary.com/playing-card-coating-p-46771.html
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I thnk I have some Krylon on hand. So it gives the cards a finish that resembles the original from the factory finish?
Tfet
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Tfet
The workable fixatif? Yeah... Its pretty darn close. Its nice and slick and seems to last for quite a while. I did up some cards a while back that I had to remove the original finish (They were blank face) with acetone, Print what I wanted on them and then finished them with the krylon. They still feel good to this day.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do you just try to spray the spot where the pip was removed, or do you spray the entire face of the card?
Tfet
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Tfet
Honestly, I never tried it with just the corner after removing a pip.... I always had to finish the entire face of the card.

See I usually come up with what I want the card to look like, Edit it, (Like removing a pip for example) and then printing the card. I have digital pictures of all the card faces and I can just shop them. Like I said I just remove the finish from a blank face card, print whatever I want on the exposed cardboard and then finish it.

As far as just the corner goes... I don't see why you couldn't do it really. But I just never tried it. It may be better to finish the whole face though.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's kind of what I was thinking, too.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Wow! I tried one on a test card, and I'm amazed at how good it looks!
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
What I do is I use an electric pen eraser, then spray a similar Bicycle finish on the card.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've not heard of an electric pen eraser! Where can I get one?

I tried erasing with a rubber pencil eraser, but my most vigorous efforts still left a ghost. So I was thinking about purchasing an ink eraser, They seem to be harder and more abrasive.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
I bought mine in Japan for 2 dollars in a stationary shop...Online on this link, they show you the options:

http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=electric+eraser

They aren't cheap. Smile The cheapest one is $8.50.

They usually come with refills, and you can buy the ink eraser refills. It is a good investment, but you should just get the good old ink eraser:

http://www.jetpens.com/Tombow-Mono-Sand-Eraser/pd/6463

Its only for $2! It is called "sand eraser" so it should be abrasive enough. Good luck!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think I'll look in an office supply store. Save shipping.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Good decision. They might be at an Office Max or a Staples. I might have seen one there...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Removing card pips (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL