The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Million Dollar Secret (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I just put up a new video on my blog regarding the Million Dollar Secret. The only reason I call it that is because it has the potential to make you a million dollars if that is what you seek.

I'd be interested in your thoughts regarding this topic.

Here is the link: The Million Dollar Secret

Lou Serrano
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Lou - I read the concept on your website. As a younger member here, I have used this concept on a smaller scale. By surrounding myself with those much more successful than myself in business, I have learned a great deal that I would not have learned by associating with most of my peers. It does not mean that I am automatically as successful as they are, but I'm at least heading in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing this.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Good stuff Lou. Thanks.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sure just find 5 millionaires and start "associating" with them LOL.

The concept is right. You can't improve by always playing games against those you are better than. Same idea. But how do you just find these people to associate with?

Just knowing these people in no way means the success they share will translate to you in any way. It does give you access to help and such, but is no sort of guarantee.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Charliecheckers, You're on the right path. What you're doing is exactly what I did when I first started and it made all the difference. As I grow my business, I still seek out those more successful than myself, and it continues to make a huge difference not only in my business, but in my life.

Michael, Thank you for the support.

Danny, As you know, there are no guarantees in life, but associating with those more successful than you certainly increases your odds. As to how to find these people to associate with takes a bit of creativity. I've worked for dozens of millionaires, but very few have become my friends. It takes works, creativity, and persistence to build relationships. I've also had many mentors in my career, but I'm still looking for my millionaire mentor. The way I see it, it's just a matter of time, and I believe this might be the year it happens.

Thanks for contributing to this thread. I'd love to hear what others have to say on this subject.

Lou Serrano
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I see.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Finding role models, mentors, and friends with similar desires are definitely important. I find other people's big ambitions rub off on me. Of course, this doesn't only to do with money - improving your kindness, artistic pursuits, health (etc, etc, etc) can be including in here too. The internet allows us to network and find mentors and friends for all areas of life very easily.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Network, network, network. Great post Lou
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Scott, you're absolutely correct. I remember when I first became a member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood. Initially, I just wanted to be a member and I had no aspirations of ever performing there. Very quickly I met other members who were putting together a show to audition for one of the rooms. I thought to myself, if they can do it, then why can't I? I've now been performing at the Magic Castle for 18 years, and it's because of the people I associated with at that time. I can site examples of this in all areas of my life including health, physical fitness, relationships, and business. Thanks for contributing.

Dave, the more I live the more I realize it's not only about WHAT you know, but also WHO you know, and even more importantly... who knows YOU. Networking.

Lou Serrano
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Problem is, not a lot of millionaire magicians around to buddy up with. And what magician is going to listen to someone that knows nothing about magic? Smile

But seriously, moving outside your comfort zone is very hard to do for most people. But I do agree with Lou, it's something that we all must do in order to ever see improvement.

Average people believe you have to DO something to get rich. Whereas most rich people believe you have to BE something to get rich. So it's not really about learning what TO DO from the rich, it's more about learning How To Think like the rich.

It really does come down to how we think, because the bottom line is going to be, 'we become what we think about.'

Lou, great job with the blog post. Well Done.

Tom
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Lou,

You said you'd be interested in thoughts on this topic so I hope you don't mind me offering mine. I have, what appears to be, a different perspective from the others who have posted on this topic. Whenever anyone has an alternative view on a subject on these forums it can be taken as some kind of personal attack as opposed to merely being a, hopefully interesting and thought provoking, differing point of view. But I have not pulled any punches here as I see no point in giving a diluted version of my opinion and thoughts.

I agree with what you said about stepping outside your comfort zone and the many unexpected benefits it can bring but everything else about the Million Dollar Secret rather made my skin crawl slightly.

What you're proposing sounds to me like a horrible, leach like and vacuous approach to becoming 'successful'. (It seems to be a common feature on this forum that success and money are often viewed interchangeably... as if money is the only measure of success rather than being merely one possible indicator of it)

It reminds me of the trend these days of people just wanting to be famous... not famous for doing achieving or creating something...no...the goal is just to be famous. Fame in these terms isn't seen as merely being a possible by product of following a passion, mastering a craft or creating something artistically appealing. These people just want the fame.

Your idea seems to be based on a premise that is just as hollow as wanting to be famous... only instead of fame, in your example, the goal you present is money. There's no mention of any art, or craft, or passion... it's like there's no need to let that stuff get in the way and cloud what's important.... lets just have at the money.

Although you use the examples of. 'those people we see around us that appear lucky with their success', as the starting point for your Million Dollar secret you failed to mention that these people's successes are almost always driven by something other than the money.

If, as a performer, rather than being an important and valued by product of your passion and your drive the cash becomes your focus and drive I think it's time to consider whether you'd be better off giving up magic and moving into a more lucrative market. I'd suggest maybe banking, or some other profession involving the financial markets.

To make matters worse, your suggested Million Dollar Secret plan, in a bid to aim for the money and achieve this hollow 'success', is to basically ingratiate yourself into the company of the wealthy... not because you like, respect or admire whoever these people might be... but solely because of their bank balances. This might be called the Million Dollar Secret but to me it sounds like it ought to be called The Slime Ball Secret. You appear to be advocating a behaviour that to me simply sounds unpleasantly rapacious.

I love it and think it's fantastic when I see and hear of people making large sums of money from their endeavours... but the endeavours don't seem to play any part or be a factor in your suggested Million Dollar Secret approach.

Don't get me wrong.... I've never been one to suffer for my art, financially or otherwise, but if it was ever a toss up between that and employing the 'Million Dollar Secret' I'm pretty sure I'd be more comfortable in the poor house.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Tom,

Thank you for your comment. I believe you've shared some profound words of wisdom, and I thank you for it.

Lou
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Hi Sealegs,

Thank you for contributing to this thread. You make some great points in your post, and I thank you for sharing them, although I think you read more into my 3-minute video than was actually there. I can speak for days on marketing, business development, and living a life of passion, but I doubt anyone would watch a video that lasted days. Instead, I opted to post a 3-minute video to get one idea across. It’s impossible to share everything I’d like in a 3-minute video, but I won’t let that stop me from sharing my ideas.

The headline of my blog reads, “How To Build Your Business Faster, Easier, and More Effectively Without Spending A Fortune.” My goal with this blog is to share my ideas that may help others build their businesses. It doesn’t matter if you’re a magician or a plumber. These posts are meant for anyone trying to build a business. My only job is to share the ideas. If people read my articles and it makes them think about their business and their life, and more importantly inspires them to take action on achieving their dreams, then that’s just icing on the cake.

You say that my idea, “seems to be based on a premise that is just as hollow as wanting to be famous... only instead of fame, in your example, the goal you present is money. There's no mention of any art, or craft, or passion... it's like there's no need to let that stuff get in the way and cloud what's important.... lets just have at the money.”

It may seem that way to you, but it’s the furthest thing from the truth. I believe everyone should live their passion. Whether your passion is magic, art, plumbing, or reading books, I believe you do yourself a disservice by not living your passion. I blogged about it in the following posts: Live Your Passion and A Master In The Art Of Living

We are in agreement when you say, “If, as a performer, rather than being an important and valued by product of your passion and your drive the cash becomes your focus and drive I think it's time to consider whether you'd be better off giving up magic and moving into a more lucrative market. I'd suggest maybe banking, or some other profession involving the financial markets.”

Again, I believe if you’re not doing what you are passionate about, you're wasting your time.

When you call the Million Dollar Secret a Slime Ball Secret, I believe only a slime ball would take advantage of others in the way you suggest. If you read some of the other posts on my blog, you will see I often talk about being a person of integrity, a person who gives value without expecting anything in return, and someone who actually cares about their fellow human beings.

You said in your post, “...if it was ever a toss up between that and employing the 'Million Dollar Secret' I'm pretty sure I'd be more comfortable in the poor house.”

I respect your decision, and I wish you the best in whatever you seek.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi Lou,

Thanks for taking the reply and thanks for doing so in the way you have. It certainly addresses and clears up the issues that found difficult in the piece your opening post invited comment on.

I guess putting forward one idea, which is actually part of a whole package of ideas, always runs the risk of being judged as it's presented at the time; in isolation and on it's face value. The links to those other blog pieces places your thoughts within a more human framework and changes them substantially.

You said that if I were to, "read some of the other posts on [your] blog, [I] will see [you] often talk about being a person of integrity, a person who gives value without expecting anything in return, and someone who actually cares about their fellow human beings."

In truth I didn't think this was likely to be otherwise.... and that was why I wanted to make it clear in my post that my comments, while not pulling any punches, weren't meant personally but were made merely as a response to what had been posted. (in isolation and without an overall framework in which to place it)

The closing comment in my post was meant to show my discomfort at the apparent rapacious nature and passionless drive of what it seemed was being espoused in your video blog and I'm pleased to now have a broader, more complete picture which makes such a comment unnecessary and out of place.

Thanks for taking the time and thanks also for not taking umbrage.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Wow

This was the most pleasant exchange of words I have read on the Café in a very long time. Thank you Lou & Sealegs, it was a pleasure reading your words without getting a sick feeling in my stomach. This site is "magicians helping magicians" & this kind of discourse is helpful.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I had some of the same thoughts but didn't want to seem as if I was attacking. But in that same spirit of not being obnoxious it seems a little too much like using people for my taste. When you associate with others based upon how you can use what they know does not make me comfortable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Very nicely done guys... thank you. -- I'm with Mark on this one. Bravo!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Lou,
Right on!

DannyDoyle, I see your point, but I think Lou means is to surround yourself with people that you desire to be! Which is an old - old- old piece of advise.
Once you meet these people find a common ground that can build a relationship! This is what I do, but I only associate with people that I like and just not what they can do for me! Smile
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Danny,

Your comment inspired me to post another article on my blog. You can find it here: In Support Of Building Relationships

In a nutshell, I believe the most meaningful relationships are based on mutual trust, respect, shared values, passions, and sense of purpose. This applies to all relationships whether it’s with your friends, spouse, business partner, or mentor. Basing relationships on the idea that you can “use” them for certain purposes is a formula destined for failure.

Lou Serrano
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2013-01-27 14:54, magicofCurtis wrote:
Lou,
Right on!

DannyDoyle, I see your point, but I think Lou means is to surround yourself with people that you desire to be! Which is an old - old- old piece of advise.

I have an paperback book, "The Analects of Confucius" where he says that too, and to associate yourself with those who are your superiors (in status) - to paraphrase.

Good advice, as well as what Lou said: "In a nutshell, I believe the most meaningful relationships are based on mutual trust, respect, shared values, passions, and sense of purpose. This applies to all relationships whether it’s with your friends, spouse, business partner, or mentor. Basing relationships on the idea that you can “use” them for certain purposes is a formula destined for failure."

Your videos and blog are useful, informative, and enjoyable. Thanks Lou.

Bazinga!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Million Dollar Secret (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL