The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Goodreads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
I have recently joined Goodreads ( http://www.goodreads.com/ ). At the moment this "social cataloging" site seems to be largely ignored by magicians. Yet it could become a fantastic resource, not only for ratings and reviews, but also for creating a truly comprehensive historical database of publications, including books, pamphlets, lecture notes and ebooks (though not DVDs or tricks, which are outside the remit of Goodreads). It can also be a great way for authors to promote their books.

It would need some dedicated efforts, especially by authors, publishers and collectors, in adding magical works to the catalogue (and you have to apply for "librarian" status to be able to do this) but the benefits to the magical community could be tremendous.

Incidentally, it can also be used as a very convenient way to catalogue your own collection - I am working through mine right now!

Any thoughts?

Mike
Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
195 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
Interesting idea and I think it could be worthwhile in some ways. I have Librarian status at Goodreads. Maybe I'll look into this a bit more.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Great idea. A perfect job for Vlad.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Thanks for supporting this idea!

I now also have Librarian status on Goodreads and have made a start creating records for books in my collection which were not previously catalogued. It's pretty easy to do.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Goodreads (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL