The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Getting cigarette smell out of leather. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well, I just received something made of leather, and it smells quite strongly of cigarette smoke.

I'll be searching for solutions, but wanted to know if anyone in Caféland has some tips on ridding the item of that smell! The leather is pretty soft.

Thanks in advance!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Right now, I've got it in a large tupperware container with a bowl full of baking soda in with it. Heard also that a leather cleaner might do the trick...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 21:10, Chessmann wrote:
Right now, I've got it in a large tupperware container with a bowl full of baking soda in with it. Heard also that a leather cleaner might do the trick...

Try using one of the ideas from this thread:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/detailing/......ket.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Just don't go for the fabreeze,

I can't think of a way to make a leather jacket less cool than smelling of fabreeze.

Good Luck!

-Mary Mowder
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I would think that fresh air would take the smoke smell out. Of course if your thingy was used as an ash tray that would be a whole nother challenge.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There was thing on TV about smell tonight. Apparently they have discovered its fingerprint and so now they can recreate the smell of anything as they now know what each smell looks like.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
@Balducci - that's WILD! But I've got dryer sheets. Just have to get...3...brand...new...tennis...balls??? I understand their use, but wonder why they need to be new? It wasn't address in the topic Smile

@Mary - this is a magic wallet Smile but most of the advice I have gleaned said to stay away from Febreeze.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Dryer sheets must be used ones and not touch the item. I use it from time-to-time on paper items that have odors.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The dryer sheets in the article were not used, and not prevented from touching the item. The tennis balls were used to keep things all moving around/separate during the cycle.

In any case, I'll find out tomorrow.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I think tennis balls can take on the smell of asphalt if they are used.

I have some very nice juggling balls that smell so strongly of asphalt that I can't use them indoors (so they don't get used).

-Mary Mowder
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mary
What a horror story. What juggling balls are they? You can PM me if you wish.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
... but how does any of that help you get small cigarettes out of leather?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The dryer sheets and tennis balls definitely helped get most of the smell out of the wallet...however, the process wasn't healthy for the wallet! Effecting some repairs, so we'll see. Smile
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 23:29, Chessmann wrote:
The dryer sheets in the article were not used, and not prevented from touching the item. The tennis balls were used to keep things all moving around/separate during the cycle.

In any case, I'll find out tomorrow.

When working with valuable paper items, this is a method most used using these items. The items are stored in a plastic bag, not put in a moving dryer. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Soak the wallet in bourbon and then dry it out. That should do it. (It works on me when I smoke too much.)
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 19:24, mastermindreader wrote:
Soak the wallet in bourbon and then dry it out. That should do it. (It works on me when I smoke too much.)

LOL! I should try to then stay away from modifying it into a fire wallet!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I'm thinken that I would not like to carry a wallet that has been through the mill like yours Chessmann.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Getting cigarette smell out of leather. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL