The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Automatic Color Changing Silk Ball : Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Evans
View Profile
New user
Australia
16 Posts

Profile of Peter Evans
Hank Lee advertises the Automatic Color Changing Silk Ball for $30. I can't find this product anywhere else.

It's described as follows;
"The Automatic Color Changing Silk Ball allows you to use two unprepared silks! No dye-tube type poking and prodding is needed. Just tuck the corner of your first silk into your fist, reach under and draw the second silk from your hand. As you pull the silk out, the first silk automatically draws into your fist!! The audience sees only empty hands and the transformed silk."

Now, I'm familiar with the use of gimmicks such as the dye tube, palmo, etc., but this appears to use a different gimmick.

Does anybody have this product? If so, can you comment on the gimmick used and whether it is a worthwhile purchase.

Smile
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I belive the gimmick can be found in Rice encl. of Silk Magic.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
190 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Hi Peter

I have one and have never used it. The hands cannot strictly be shown empty afterwards (as said in the advertisement) unless you do some dye tube like moves to conceal the colour changing silk ball.

Other drawbacks I have found are that if you use an eighteen inch silk, it is so jammed into the bottom section of the gimmick that the silk gets really badly crumpled. For example, you get a colour change of a silk and also the silk transforms from a nicely ironed one to a very creased one! Secondly there is a stray eighteen inch thread left dangling from the gimmick after the change has ocurred - this makes it difficult to perform transfer moves to conceal the apparatus.

The gimmick has been around for years but it is rarely used.....this is because of the drawbacks mentioned above. I would recommend some other methods and there are plenty to be found in Volume 2 of Rices.

Hope this helps

Scott
Peter Evans
View Profile
New user
Australia
16 Posts

Profile of Peter Evans
Thanks everyone for your replies - much appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
One added note, the operation of this device will put a hole in the end of your silks. Meaning you damage your silks. The "diamond silks" are cheap enough to use for this device.

It is a Norm Nielsen item don't know if he still carries it. Joe Steven's also carried a Japanese one, but I have not purchased this, it is on his web site, and you can see the gimmick. I think this one is made not to damage your silks.

Stick with Palmo, if you currently are using this or the old pull thru color change works great. I think Rice's Magic still sells a few they have left.

Bill Smile
cat26
View Profile
Regular user
Manitoba, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of cat26
This gimmick may be good in a stage presentation which will enhance and "speed up" the silk change and keep the flow of your routine. It is also easier "to ditch" on stage. I wouldn't recommend using it in a parlour type situation or performing surrounded. Cheers... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Automatic Color Changing Silk Ball : Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL