The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mnemosign (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Hi there-
In 2006 I wrote a book called “Mnemosign”, it sold through H&R books.
I’m going to start another print run through a print on demand company.
It’s 50 pages, perfect bound, 8-1/2x11.
It covers several different ideas and applications of the branching anagram (and some related methods) as it pertains to astrological divination.
Through a couple of techniques it reduces the number of questions you have to ask and the number of “No” replies you get from the audience.
In a best case scenario, you seem to ask no questions and get their sign.
In a worst case scenario, you ask one question or get one “No” answer and then reveal their sign.
You do actually ask two questions, but the first one seems to be you connecting which thought with which spectator.
I have about 25 copies left, in hand of the stapled cover version, and then I will order a new batch from the print on demand company.
$35 dollars plus $5 S&H domestic, paypal me at magus@silcom.com with your address and I’ll send one out to you.
I don’t know what I can do for our brother Magi across the water, I just looked at shipping costs to England- $45 bucks! I hate to send out a PDF, just a couple of clicks and bandit copies are loose.

"I have always been a fan of the Zodiac Effect. I still have a small card
given to me by Ray Grismer for his "What's My Sign." Patrick Schlagel's
"Mnemosign" (released in 2006) is a monumental work on the subject. Rather
than give you one set way to do the effect, he offers a variety of
approaches for you to choose from. Additionally, almost every other line has
some ingenious (read "sneaky") ideas to get past inherent problems in the
basic effect and make it look like you never miss. These ideas can be
applied to whatever routine you elect to use. I have done work myself on the
effect and yet, on re-reading the manuscript, have thought, "That's a great
idea! I can use that in what I do!"

This book is the ultimate study on the effect. It is exhaustive in covering
every contingency and performing situation. With a little work on your part,
you can walk out in front of any audience, without any props or pre-show
work, and just start reading minds!
What more could you want?

Richard Osterlind
February, 2013"

I can personally attest to Magus' work, and I SAY ITS A MUST HAVE---IT MAY hurt your brain with all the enlightening twists and turns, but you'll come out much better...its the "Chess" of Astro effects, if you dig it...

Baba
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Look at rates for International First Class, by weight.
paulvigil
View Profile
V.I.P.
268 Posts

Profile of paulvigil
Written with wit and humor, Patrick adds new notes, chords and counterpoint to an old song.

Fun, engaging, and with some real surprises.

"I’m not listening to you, La La La La La La, La, La." )an actual quote from the book (watch for it!).
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Quote:
On 2013-01-31 16:27, duanebarry wrote:
Look at rates for International First Class, by weight.

I checked at the post office today.
It's $15.00 to England (about 10 pounds)
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
I received a pre-release copy of Mnemosign a couple of weeks ago. I don't know Pat, but the topic of progressive anagrams came up on the board here, we exchanged a pm or two on them, and then he graciously sent his manuscript for me to read. I'm pleased to be able to endorse it as exceedingly useful for anyone interested in the subject.

Mnemosign is a comprehensive examination of strategies for divining a thought of astrological sign using branching anagrams. It addresses the potential pitfalls of the BA, provides work arounds for them, and considers the advantages and disadvantages in each. Mnemosign not only gives you a basic method, but it also includes presentational bits and gambits, strategies for minimizing branch paths, alternative presentations using cards, and additional BA paths that allow you to repeat the effect. There's also a section on mnemonics to help with the memorization inherent in anagram effects, thoughts on structuring routines, and an appendix to be used as a springboard for brainstorming more ideas. I should probably note that this isn't a complete summary of the book, but it hits some of the main points for me.

The edges are a little rough, but this work is a diamond. It's chock-a-block full of solid, in depth, creative thinking. Personally, I'd like to see the manuscript expanded to include some padding: a bit more history, a few more transitions between sections. But, that would be the "eye candy". As it stands, Mnemosign is all meat with no fat or fillers.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I also got a look inside this wonderful work.

While normally I not a fan of progressive anagrams since must of the stuff on the market today is not up to par but the methodology in Mnemosign is different and very usable. Some of whats inside has been mentioned above but I discovered something magickal about this work that I had given little or no thought to before and that when you combine progressive anagrams with related humor the way Patrick has the presentation becomes a very magickal experience for all. There are other differences with Mnemosign that make this a work not only worth owning but a system worth using. First is the way the anagrams progresses till the climax which I really liked. The second thing I noticed was that this progression is very cleaver and extremely well thought out. By time the humor starts the audience is rolling in there seats and then comes the twist and the climax that pays off the whole routine.

Mnemosign is in my opinion a winner and perfect for anyone who wants to add something different.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
I have had this work since it was released.
Talk about thorough--comprehensive, no kidding!
You will absolutely get what you pay for.
A lot of smart here, direct and fun, workable and real.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I wanted to chime in and give my perspective on this.

A few weeks ago, Patrick contacted me and offered to exchange his book for my own, 'The Prodigal'. As it happens, both of our books relate to the same methodology, and I was naturally curious to learn his perspectives. While we took a look at the same subject in our books, our paths to perfection of the effects were strikingly different.

In a nutshell:

The way he establishes his premise is strong, his verbal control of the audience demonstrates masterful technique, and his non-verbal methods of pumping were as innovative and clean as you could wish for. The variants for presentation are exhaustive, and it is obvious that he is familiar with the subject matter.

The book has a solid technical base, but for me, the beauty of the work was in his nuanced throw-away comments.

There is one page in particular in this text that I discussed at length with Peter Turner and impressed us both deeply. I am confident that anyone who enjoyed 'The Prodigal' and its contents will want to supplement their presentation of its effects with the subtleties that Patrick outlines in that single page (page 8 top half of the page). And the idea on page 11 just seemed so obvious to me, I can't think how I overlooked it - it is such a great way to pass over a miss with a hit.

There is some very strong stuff here - stuff that would work for many different BA systems.

Patrick has done a fantastic job here!

In fact, for anyone who may be on the fence with this one (and this is entirely unsolicited from Patrick in any way - I had the idea just now) I am so confident that you will like this that, just to help sweeten the deal, I will send a free copy of 'The Prodigal' to the next five people who purchase 'Mnemosign'.

I will rely on Patrick to inform me where to send the copies.

Best,

Atlas
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Wow, thanks for the nice comments folks, I'm really glad you liked the book.

But this-
"In fact, for anyone who may be on the fence with this one (and this is entirely unsolicited from Patrick in any way - I had the idea just now) I am so confident that you will like this that, just to help sweeten the deal, I will send a free copy of 'The Prodigal' to the next five people who purchase 'Mnemosign'.

I will rely on Patrick to inform me where to send the copies.

Best,

Atlas"

Just leaves me speechless.
Thanks Ajax, incredibly generous.

Pat
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

Richard Webster
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Richard Webster
I've used the progressive anagram method for determining someone's zodiac sign ever since T. A. Waters sent me his version of it for evaluation way back in 1986. Since then, I thought I'd read everything pertaining to this subject, and can't understand how I missed Mnemosign when it first came out. Patrick has done a wonderful job in covering all the various aspects of telling people what their sign is in a convincing and believable manner. He has several versions, and discusses the pros and cons of each one, leaving it up to you to decide which method is best for you. His additional comments and tips are fascinating, and extremely useful for anyone who works with progressive anagrams. This book is essential reading for anyone who is interested in telling people what their zodiac sign is.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Thank you Mr Webster.
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Still a couple of Free "Prodigal" books available with purchase of "Mnemosign".
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
The last few purchasers already owned "Prodigal", so there is still two "Buy "Mnemosign" get "Prodigal" for free" deals left
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
In Sweden, it's harder to use techniques like this, because people use to say stenbocken=the capricorn as often as stenbock=capricorn. So aditional letters can always sneak in and destroy the method.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Layout your anagram (In Swedish of course) and either include both spellings, or don't use "N" as one of the branches.
But, since Stenboken and Stenbock both contain an "N" it should still work. Just don't ask "Does it have one "N" or two. (Although that could be used in another way too)
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Well, what I mean is that there is A LOT that can screw up.

Just for fun, here are the different names that can be used in Swedish:

Vädur
Väduren
Vädurens

Oxe
Oxen
Oxens

Tvilling
Tvillingen
Tvillingens
Tvillingarna
Tvillingarnas

Kräfta
Kräftan
Kräftans

Lejon
Lejonet
Lejonets

Jungfru
Jungfrun
Jungfruns

Våg
Vågen
Vågens

Skorpion
Skorpionen
Skorpionens

Skytt
Skytten
Skyttens

Stenbock
Stenbocken
Stenbockens

Vattuman
Vattumannen
Vattumannens

Fisk
Fisken
Fiskarna
Fiskarnas

As you can see there are between 3 and 5 endings, so it would be much harder to do this in Swedish. A way around this could, of course, be to show them texted cards and let them look at the spelling instead of doing this in their head.

Anyhow, you seem to have put together a great product.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
"Anyhow, you seem to have put together a great product. "

Thank you.
And you're right, it's a little more difficult doing this in this set of letters.
I worked out a chart using my system and there were still two signs where you get two "No" answers.
(I don't like getting two no answers- I figure you can play one off, but two is awkward)
I havn't tried to work out all the possibilities, but since I didn't use the common endings for the signs in Swedish, it should work out for all the different spellings.
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
The last "free book with purchase" just went out.
But, good news, in a month, I will double the price on "Mnemosign"
(Not really, but didn't you feel the powerful urge to rush and get one?)
Follow that urge.
Thanks again to Atlas Brookings for his generous offer.
Now also available from Stevens Magic.
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Some of you may remember me as being particularly fascinated by progressive anagrams (PA). Somewhere in the archives here there is my analysis of Max Maven't "Contimental" effect with a hypothetical expansion to include all the European countries (including the Eastern ones) and variations.

Let me tell you what a joy it was to read Patrick's excellent take on the Zodiac anagram in his "Mnemosign" monograph.

Even if you don't do zodiac divination, you'll find his thinking regarding PAs to be quite illuminating. There are other uses of the PA to enhance other effects, and if you do any of those, you'll appreciate Patrick's words of wisdom to improve them so that they are deceptively transparent.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Think of it as "The cure for Progressive anagrams"
crappy deium-

thaumometer-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mnemosign (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL