The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Melting Loop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PolarBear
View Profile
New user
Norway
65 Posts

Profile of PolarBear
Whats is a fair price for the melting loop in new condition ?
Norwegian Tenyo Collector
http://www.trylletriks.com
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I doubt you will find a fair price it's obscure as it gets. Smile

Richard
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
We have an old saying in the USA: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

I would pay A LOT. So if you know someone who has one, please send me an email! moobooks@verizon.net
PolarBear
View Profile
New user
Norway
65 Posts

Profile of PolarBear
Smile I let you know when I have bought one !
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Concidering the ropes/gimmicks/box I'd say 25 USD tops. A cool trick but available in MUCH better 'versions' Smile

But for serious collectors I guess between 400 and 600 USD, easy, perhaps even near the 1000 USD dollar range when you find a die hard collector! (the last sold Astro Tube went for almost 1000 USD on Martinka! (but as a fact I know the buyer made an euhmmm ... mistake Smile )).

"Crazy people we are, yes ..." sais Yoda Smile Smile
PolarBear
View Profile
New user
Norway
65 Posts

Profile of PolarBear
Thanks for your answer Smile
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I know prices are rising but to double in one month. Wow!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7800194
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

I'd give my left nut for a Melting Loop. Can't believe I had one and sold it!
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
TMI
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

A new copy of "Melting Loop" has entered my collection and without any dire consequences to my manhood.

Since so few have the trick, I thought it might be interesting to speculate on some things about it.

First, the magnets in the rope are very long--each about an inch and a half. So, when the magnets are together, there is a three-inch area in the center of the rope that is stiffer than the rest of the rope. Tenyo countered this by using pretty stiff rope to begin with.

The white plastic ends have no magical function--they are merely decorative.

The seam where the magnets join is visible even at a distance of 10 feet, and that's with the rope dyed red to help conceal the join.

In going over the instructions with gimmicked rope in hand (something I curiously had never done before), it seemed clear to me that the handling is very clever in the way the magnets are used. The routine has three phases, and the knot indeed looks like it melts away in a slightly different way each time.

But there is a big problem here, and it might explain why Tenyo made so few of these. The magnets are too long for the handling to work properly--at least that's how it seems to me. Today, it would be a piece of cake to have stronger magnets that are less than a quarter inch long so the rope wouldn't look and be so stiff, something which impedes the handling. But back in 1972 the idea exceeded the ability of the magnets to deliver what was needed.

I don't have a "Tenyo Four Nightmare DX," but it's possible it might provide the rope necessary for this.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
I have a few genuine Tenyo Four Nightmare DXs Richard and the seams on them are almost impossible to see even at a a foot away.

Originally I purchased a set from Seo Magic and then I got a few more from Magico Japan. Those sets were nicely made too.

Here is a photo:

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Melting Loop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL