The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dan Harlan does mentalism (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Excuse me for not jumping in a bit sooner on this discussion.

I think it is a mistake to try and compare videos by pitting one against another. Each work reflects the artist's own personality and take on his performances and often has a different goal in mind. Dan's videos show wonderfully his ability to pack small and play big and I love his thoughts about routining, etc. Every viewer should do his/her best to learn from what is presented and try to apply those principles that appeal to them to their own act.

It has always been my desire to try to help magicians and mentalists become better performers by showing them they must each be unique and to alter, tailor and scrutinize what is presented by others and then change it for the best for them. Dan presents wonderful ideas that give this kind of food for thought.

Richard Osterlind
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Dan and Richard: Many thanks to the two of you for your willingness to share your thoughts and performances on this craft with aspiring and current performers. You have both made quite a contribution to this field.
Sincere thanks,
David
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I have all of Dan's Pack Small Play Big videos, and I like them all - they have good, practical ideas.

I would say that most, if not all performers would get at least one idea from each tape (assuming they do the type of show to which the video is aimed at), although I would not expect many people to perform an entire show from a video, but rather choose items from it that suited their style.

I would recommend getting these - I wish I'd boght them on DVD now rather than video, as they'd have taken up less space.

Best wishes,

Brian.
Brian
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have re-ordered Dan's Mentalism DVD to have another look. I value the opinions of others in the Café and want to be more open.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
190 Posts

Profile of atrudo
I didn't really care for the mentalism DVD. I like Dan and like his other work, but thjought this one was a little off.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2004-05-11 18:43, Magictrickster wrote:

... they'd have taken up less space.

And played just as big! yuk yuk yuk
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I love it ! Smile
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
Whenever I watch a video I try to focus on what I can use for my own show. For example, I have a mixed show (All Purpose, so to speak), and therefore would like to have ONE mental effect in it, just for the sake of variety. So now I ordered Osterlind's DVDs to find out if there is something on them for me. I try Osterlind first, because he is more known as an expert on mentalism than Harlan. Maybe I will give Harlan's Menalism Show a try also to have a look. I have his All-Purpose Show and I got some valuable ideas for my show. That is more than I got from most other tapes I own. I don't like his presentational style much either, but that has not much to do with the value of the tape for me. In other words: If you criticize somebody's video because you don't like his style means that, to my mind, you are looking at it from the wrong perspective.
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
I agree with you,oldwilson_2000.

Dan Harlan might not be good in performing mentalism but he's surely a creative guy. Otherwise, he won't be that famous among all magicians.
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Regular user
sInGaPoRe
103 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
There are many good interesting stuffs in this video. I would recommend it highly to working magicians though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dan Harlan does mentalism (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL