The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » ESP plot/Moving Hole plot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
A E.S.P. trick I just came across is called "E.S.P. Magic or Coincidence" a different presentation for"Solvang 13" by Howard Adams. ln the book "Still Small,Still Deadly" by Paul Hallas it uses 8 E.S.P. cards and is self working. 3 spectators and you each end up with pairs of matching E.S.P. cards. I like the idea.Is it E.S.P. Magic or Coincidence.

Best
Leo Jr
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Magicfish said:

Quote:
No such thing as British English.

I beg to differ (and so does every English teacher I ever had at school):

British English Article on Wikipedia

Maybe you should read the article!

Quote:
And if you think I'm flat out wrong...

I do. You're talking absolute nonsense.

Marty
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Getting things back on topic, if you like ESP tricks you should definitely look at the work of David Britland. This blog post should wet your appetite:

Zener and the Art of Inspiration

Marty
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Also, Lawrence Hass and Jeff McBride have created a brilliant routine with Zener cards, ESP-ology. You can find it here: http://www.theoryandartofmagic.com/produ......_id=7563
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 16:30, martyjacobs wrote:
Magicfish said:

Quote:
No such thing as British English.

I beg to differ (and so does every English teacher I ever had at school):

British English Article on Wikipedia

Maybe you should read the article!

Quote:
And if you think I'm flat out wrong...

I do. You're talking absolute nonsense.

Marty

Were your English teachers English?
Because American English is used by so many,they often(including north american english teachers) call what Englishmen speak British English. Its not. Its just English.
Its not nonsense.
If you can find an Englishman who will admit he's not speaking English but a FORM of English that Americans call British English. I'll eat my hat and send you a handwritten apology.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Psst! FWIW, Marty IS a Brit.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Then I guess I'll need his mailing address. And a new hat.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
So does that mean the French spoken in France is French French? And the Portuguese spoken in Portugal , Portuguese Portuguese, and the Italian spoken in Italy Italian Italian?
Before you roll your eyes, all the languages I've mentioned above have been altered (like american English) by their respective former colonies.
Are the Portuguese speaking Portuguese? Or are they speaking a FORM of Portuguese the Brazilians call Portuguese Portuguese?
The English dictionary couldn't ignore the term British English because it has gained such wide use. After all there ARE what 300 000 000
Americans compared to 70 000 000 English? So they defined it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Now Marty I enjoy your posts and don't wish to become adversarial. Let me offer you an analogy or two to illustrate my point.
I'm a Canadian and hockey courses through my veins. But you know what? It isn't hockey. Its ice hockey. Real hockey is played on a field on foot. In Canada we call that Field Hockey. It isn't its just plain hockey. We in Canada are playing an off-shoot and yet we call the real thing field hockey to distinguish it from our beloved variant.
Now take football. It is inarguably the worlds most popular game. There are many other countries where a different game is played. American Football in america, Aussie rules football in OZ , Gaelic football in Ireland. In keeping with my hockey analogy, the preceding four nations refer to football as soccer. Why? To distinguish it from THEIR beloved games.
Does that mean football is now European football? No its just football.
But I'm willing to bet there's a Wikipedia it dictionary entry somewhere describing what "field hockey" or "European football" is or "British English"- doesn't matter. Hockey is hockey, football is football and English is English- no matter who alters it over the centuries. Myself included.
Respectfully, Rod
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Rod, I just don't get what you're trying to prove. I think you're confusing spoken and written language, the two are not the same.

I'm an Englishman who speaks English. The same language you speak as a Canadian, and the same language Cameron, Barry, and Sieko speak. However, when I write a post I use British English, not American English. I'm referring to a specific set of rules and concepts that govern the way I spell, use grammar, and structure sentences.

I don't mind which a person chooses to use, just try and be consistent. You obviously have an affection for the British spelling of words, and that is fine by me. But at the end of the day, which spelling you use doesn't really matter. No one should be made to feel bad because of how they spell a word, even if they spell it incorrectly.

Quote:
Hockey is hockey, football is football and English is English- no matter who alters it over the centuries. Myself included.

This is simply not true. The meaning of a word or phrase changes over time depending on common usage. See etymonline.com for many, many examples.

Can we get back to the magic now?! Another underrated hole effect is "Nothing in Transit" by Dave Forrest. This is my current favourite, and I haven't found anything better to date. Much better than the current lot of moving hole effects because the hole in the card is massive (as it should be IMHO).

Marty

P.S. Technically in the UK it is "Association Football", which was originally shortened to Soccer, and then later Football. So us Brits are wrong, Football is actually Soccer (from an historical POV at least) Smile.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Well we'll agree to disagree then. I don't think you or I write in British English . I think we write
in English. The Americans have altered the written and spoken, which, you're right, is perfectly fine. But to me inventing a term (British English) to distinguish it from its "newly" altered counterpart is absurd.
Most of my family still lives in England and they're appalled by the term British English.

So we will move on. Nice discussion though.
Good call on Nothing in Transit.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sorry, one more point I simply must contest.
"Colour" is not the British spelling, it's the English spelling. Britain as you know, is England Scotland and Wales. But we're not speaking Scottish nor Welsh - we're speaking English. So its actually not British English, its English English.......or just English. Everything else is a variant . That's my point.
I'll say no more. Good day.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
K last thing. Deep breath.
British refers to where people or things are from. If something or someone Is British, it or he is from either england , Scotland or wales.
British has NOTHING to do with language. I don't speak British , Scots don't speak British, Canadians don't speak British. We speak and write in English. English is the language. English is spoken and written all over the world.
Spoken or written, it is English. From England. It is THEIR language. It has aspects of french, German, Greek, Norse, Latin etc. These parent languages make up both the written and the spoken. It is English. Thousands of years old.
Now, A colony across the Atlantic alters it slightly (both spoken and written, perfectly okay) and all of a sudden the original becomes "British English" ???? No sir. Its still just English.
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Glenn West had a moving hole trick in MAGIC Magazine, I'm pretty sure it was July 2010.

There's an updated handling of Glenn's trick and a weird moving hole trick involving with paper and coins by Jeff Hinchliffe which are sitting on my hard drive. At the rate I'm working, the booklet will probably be finished when Mark Lewis becomes the Prime Minister of Canada.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2013-02-26 23:02, James Alan wrote:
Glenn West had a moving hole trick in MAGIC Magazine, I'm pretty sure it was July 2010.

There's an updated handling of Glenn's trick and a weird moving hole trick involving with paper and coins by Jeff Hinchliffe which are sitting on my hard drive. At the rate I'm working, the booklet will probably be finished when Mark Lewis becomes the Prime Minister of Canada.

I wish the Reverend were here for this discussion.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Rod, can't you see that your argument is moot? It is quite sensible to differentiate between the two major forms of Standard English in this way, especially if you're a professional writer. These terms were created out of necessity, and are now accepted by the majority as the default nomenclature:

http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/standbriteterm.htm

Feel outraged by this if you must, but your opinion on this matter is a little over the top. If you'd rather not use the term, then don't. But don't try and convince the rest of us that we're somehow wrong when we're not!

Marty
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Although I was born and educated in England, I have never, ever, referred to the language I speak as 'British English'; to do so would be absurd.

As an aside, on the subject of spelling, Johnson's dictionary was not completed until 1755. Prior to this, spellings such as 'color' or 'favor' were commonplace in Britain. Likewise, "Fall", rather than "Autumn" was an English term which simply went out of fashion on this side of the Atlantic. The same is true of many American usages.

Toodle-pip.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Tomsk192, I hardly ever refer to it as British English either. After all, most people in England follow this particular set of rules and conventions. However, if you look in any modern dictionary this is the term used. This is how the two major forms of English are differentiated. Even if I don't use the term, I'm still following the conventions of British English (or UK English if you prefer). I really don't see why this idea is absurd. In fact, having a good understanding of the conventions you're following if you're a writer is extremely important.

Marty
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
There shouldn't be an argument over if American English is not quite the same as the English spoken in England. Of course it is different. Some words even have different meanings in both countries. To claim that there is no difference between the two is absurd.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » ESP plot/Moving Hole plot (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL