The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Abbott's Mutilated Parasol (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Thank you, you say brand new, but its used on your video ?? I will save for Abbotts.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi Wally
I am not selling the one I am using, I have another one brand new...
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Thanks Eran, I have never seen one close up, who made yours, I would like to buy the Abbotts as a backup. but I know they are very expensive. your is a decent price. thank you.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
NEED UPDATE: I have used the SEO parasol, and it has not held up well. After only a few performances the tube supplied began to crack internally and the bottom does not stay in (cheaply made of Styrofoam.) I always heard of Abbott's quality but over the past few years I have heard many disheartening things about the quality of Abbott's parasol as well as the service after the sale provided. I am not one to jump through hoops to have a bad transaction rectified and would prefer to avoid those situations at all costs. Obviously mistakes are made but if I have ignored red flags the fault also lies with me. So, does anyone have current news on the state of the current offering from Abbott's now at $550?
Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2019, stempleton wrote:
NEED UPDATE: I have used the SEO parasol, and it has not held up well. After only a few performances the tube supplied began to crack internally and the bottom does not stay in (cheaply made of Styrofoam.) I always heard of Abbott's quality but over the past few years I have heard many disheartening things about the quality of Abbott's parasol as well as the service after the sale provided. I am not one to jump through hoops to have a bad transaction rectified and would prefer to avoid those situations at all costs. Obviously mistakes are made but if I have ignored red flags the fault also lies with me. So, does anyone have current news on the state of the current offering from Abbott's now at $550?
Any and all advice would be appreciated.

If I were you, I would purchase a used parasol for the price of that $550. I am sure if you use the for sale posting here on the magic Café someone would have a decent umbrella. Mine came from Tannen's in the late 60's, and to this day I still use it. I have had to recover it once from the wear on the cover.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If it is quality you are looking for, then take a look at Tim Star's parasol. He is a master craftsman.

http://creationsbystar.com/page33parasolilusion.html
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Thanks, Dan. I have purchased several higher ticket used items in the past few months and have been met with disappointment in what was received, so I am a bit wary, but I will post here and on other closed forums online.

Bill, it does look nice, but I would like to restore the parasol cover at the end, which Tim's version is unable to do. Do you have any current information for the state of Abbott's version?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stempleton, All I know is that Greg Bordner told me that he has a good solder person to make the parasols, and other metal props. The man lives in Colon, in the Summer, and in Florida in the Winter months. Abbott's is like most magic dealers, if a prop does not hold up do to poor manufacturing they have to fix it or refund your money within a reasonable time. If you can't go to Abbott's then communicate with Greg about your concerns. He is an honest magic dealer. I have bought magic from him for over 30 years. Just ask him to inspect it before it is shipped. Greg knows his products and employees. When you get it, work the parasol and check it yourself. If you note something, contact Greg at once. Don't receive it and let it set for 6 months before you check it out, because you have a show to do, or finally found music that fits your routine.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Thanks again, Bill. PM'd you.
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
If you have an Abbott's Mutilated Parasol to sell, please PM me.
Thanks.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
Brad, thank you so much for the link. I had the hammer price, and my show is complete again.
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
Fantastic news! The Abbott’s Mutilated Parasol is back in stock!
https://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Muti......asol.htm

I was lucky to find two used Abbott’s Mutilated Parasols at auction last year.
I bring mine to shows in an adjustable plastic drafting tube. I’m over the moon happy to see this great trick available again.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do have a friend who has somel recovered ones (done by Abbott's). I can put you in touch if you write me.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Abbotts is heads above any of the others. The trick plays well for kids and adults. I used one for several years, and just recently sent it to Greg to have refurbished. It cost around $250, but it is in like nee condition with all ribs like new and (2) new parasol covers. I think the new ones are around $750, but if you’re a working pro it’s money well spent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Abbott's Mutilated Parasol (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL