The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is stage hypnosis / street hypnosis unethical? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, but this is an entertainment hypnosis forum. I think that is the point. Also my guess is, and I've seen this so many times before, is that you just "dabbled in entertainment hypnosis". Stage hypnosis is an art, a craft that takes time to develop and evolve. It's about being an entertainer first and the hypnosis second.

No offense here but perhaps your skills as an entertainer were not the best they could be and you, like many others, were A.) relying too much on the hypnosis, and B.) relying too much on the volunteers.

While they all play a role, it is the performer as an entertainer that is most crucial. This only comes with time and experience, as does getting proficient with performance hypnosis, audience management and dynamics and the many other aspects the combine to make a decent stage hypnosis performance.

Waaaaay to much therapy talk going on around here these days. There are also so many better forums for that than here.
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Quote:
On 2013-03-28 09:22, Mindpro wrote:
Yes, but this is an entertainment hypnosis forum. I think that is the point.

Fair enough, but tell that to the OP

Quote:
Also my guess is, and I've seen this so many times before, is that you just "dabbled in entertainment hypnosis". Stage hypnosis is an art, a craft that takes time to develop and evolve. It's about being an entertainer first and the hypnosis second.

I completely agree

Quote:
No offense here but perhaps your skills as an entertainer were not the best they could be and you, like many others, were A.) relying too much on the hypnosis, and B.) relying too much on the volunteers.

perhaps. However, my views are independent to my skill-level, it is about the principle (which is what the OP was asking about, I think).

Quote:
While they all play a role, it is the performer as an entertainer that is most crucial. This only comes with time and experience, as does getting proficient with performance hypnosis, audience management and dynamics and the many other aspects the combine to make a decent stage hypnosis performance.

wasn't really talking about proficiency (see above)
Quote:
Waaaaay to much therapy talk going on around here these days. There are also so many better forums for that than here.

Fair enough! I think it is in the spirit of answering the questions of the OP. However, I agree with you it's getting a bit heavy. I'm surprised the OP was permitted in the first place as the question dangles its feet in the murky waters that are forbidden in the rules of this forum.

Nevertheless, I think that it is a reasonable question for someone to ask (given that most hypnotists that entertain and also do therapy will at some stage deal with it). I think it is useful for the OP for those who entertain with hypnosis to make their reasons clear for why they think it is not unethical. I chimed in for balance. Out of respect for the forum rules, I have only explained my personal choice on the matter and have avoided making an argument for it and I have also avoided trying to convince anyone.

Still, obviously it is a topic that can light a few fires. Perhaps if the OP agrees, it might be time to close the thread?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
Nevertheless, I think that it is a reasonable question for someone to ask (given that most hypnotists that entertain and also do therapy will at some stage deal with it).

Again, I have to disagree with you. I'm not sure where yo are from but most stage hypnotists are entertainers and do not have anything to do with therapy or any interest in that. Especially here in the Magic Café where most are magicians which again have absolutely nothing to do with therapy.

There are a small handful of exceptions which are the couple who of course have responded to your and the OP's post.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It always amazes me the exfuses. If the op asked a question about auto shop class are we obligated to answer?

Your inability to entertain forms your opinion. Don't judge others just yourself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Quote:
On 2013-03-28 12:00, Mindpro wrote:

Again, I have to disagree with you. I'm not sure where yo are from but most stage hypnotists are entertainers and do not have anything to do with therapy or any interest in that. Especially here in the Magic Café where most are magicians which again have absolutely nothing to do with therapy.

There are a small handful of exceptions which are the couple who of course have responded to your and the OP's post.

Sorry mate, I'll again refer you to the OP, who specifically asks about therapy.

I agree with you that most stage hypnotists have no interest in therapy.

But the question does ask about both. I think the OP has a genuine question and one that can genuinely be answered by those who do or have done both. My comment still stands that, at some stage, someone that does *both* needs to answer this question for themselves. Obviously most people in this forum that do both have come to terms with it in a way that means they are comfortable to do both. I think the OP is being genuine in his search for his own answer.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Once again the OP came to an entertainment forum asking about therapy. Two wrongs don't make a right. Also much of his information was based on conversations with a hypnosis school (hypnotherapy) and as we all know most hypnotherapists have little good or supportive to say about entertainment hypnosis, so even his foundation was based on flawed perspective. Never base your (not just you but anyone) intelligence on just one opinion, especially a jaded one at that.

If you want to learn or know about clinical hypnosis don't talk to a stage hypnotist, and if you want to know about stage hypnosis why on earth would you speak to a hypnotherapist. Don't let dmkraig, bobser, quicknotist and others here lead you to believe having experience in both disciplines this is the norm, it's not. I've been doing this for nearly 37 years and these few and a couple of others are the exception to the rule. Only a handful can actually talk about both intelligently from both experience and true perspectives.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Ooh. I like your invention and attempt at mind reading, MP. Too bad it's such an utter failure. I haven't seen anyone claiming that "having experience in both disciplines...is the norm." But it was a valiant try in a failed effort.

All I can say is what I've experienced, and contrary to your claim, I know of no hypnotherapy schools and few hypnotherapists who are against entertainment hypnosis. That may have been your experience 37 years ago, but it's way behind the times. Are there some who feel that way? Absolutely. But I've been to hypnotherapy conventions with hundreds of professionals and the main entertainment is a stage hypnotist. The largest hypnotherapist organization in the U.S., the National Guild of Hypnotists actually gives as an honor, the Ormand McGill Chair award. Of course, they've only been doing that for about a decade, and since you're talking about stuff from almost four decades ago you might night be aware of that.

I do agree with you that if someone has a question about hypnotherapy it would be better to ask on a hypnotherapy forum than on a forum that focuses on entertainment. Similarly, it would be smarter to ask about surfing on a surfing forum than on a skiing forum. But merely because the two forums focus on different things doesn't mean they have "little good or supportive" to say about the other.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm just telling what I've experienced personally from within the industry for nearly four decades, your mileage may vary.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
MP, I have absolutely no doubt that you're sharing exactly what you've experienced and are telling your truth. From what I've learned, what you're sharing was very true a quarter century ago. From what I've experienced over the past decade, hypnotherapists love and respect good stage hypnotists and don't like bad ones, a characteristic they share with you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is stage hypnosis / street hypnosis unethical? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL