The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Future Clock Craziness! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-Magic-tric......289af16e

On eBay with a $380 Buy-It-Now price! Lunacy.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
I sold an unopened Future Clock to a Café member a few months ago...for $50. He even talked me down $5.
I still doubled my money.
No regrets..well, maybe a little regret.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
It always seems to me the height of bad taste when a seller wants a ridiculous price for something and still has the nerve to ask $20 for shipping.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Ditto that.
William Ogura
View Profile
New user
minnesota
28 Posts

Profile of William Ogura
I found one new for 20$ I should be getting it this weekend.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2013-03-01 20:33, William Ogura wrote:
I found one new for 20$ I should be getting it this weekend.

Please, share your source! (PM is the best way to share! Smile )
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Hey I just bought a Future Clock, a used Coin of Dracula and a Midas Machine and it only cost me $800!

My kids don't really need to eat this week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-T-109-The-......c4fcd664

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-Magic-tric......28998ea3
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Pricing bubbles are not unusual ! Remember the Internet bubble and consequence ?

Unusually hi prices NEVER last.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Pierre,

Ed is referring to pricing outliers, these can be low or high and are unusual price points for a given Tenyo trick.

I have captured this phenomena in my price point data collection.

Here's what I can tell you, you can pay more than median price for one Tenyo trick and then pay less than median price for another so it averages out. Tenyo prices are all over the map often and that is attributed to a dizzying number of factors (as covered in other threads ad nauseam).

Often people will pay record prices for a Tenyo trick out of sentiment or fondness and little else. Without some proof of supporting sentiment, data capture can't track this.

Don't feel bad, you're sure to get plenty of bargains in the future.

We've all been there!!!

-Tom
mirror mate
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of mirror mate
Don't buy that coin of dracula! there is one from the netherlands much cheaper!!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2013-03-01 18:27, Richard Kaufman wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-Magic-tric......289af16e

On eBay with a $380 Buy-It-Now price! Lunacy.

Not even a mint one.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Deal of a lifetime it is not, Yoda sais ... . I sold a couple (mint ones) for 40 EURO not that long ago, don't have any left. They are still rather easy to find I believe, just search thoroughly and contact magic shops, they often don't have some Tenyo's on their website.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
If at the time if I had put my Ultra Tube with buy it now price at 400USD, There have been people saying that I wanted to steal collector, that I was greedy, that it was shameful.
But I put it at starting bid 1$, without reserve, and was sold for 800$... ( The buyer bought me another trick 3 months later ).
What was the right price then ???
This kind of debate is ridiculous. This is not the sellers set prices, it is the buyers.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Davy, that $800 was a high outlier, I have seen many since go for much less. Therefore you can't approximate the value of UltraTube at $800.

I agree it's the buyer though. As I have said 100x, worth and value ARE NOT the same thing.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I agree with stereo. This is really a non-issue. It's OK to oooh and ahhh over what these items are selling for, or even mock, laugh, or simply be dumbfounded. But no one is in the wrong. If there are morons out there willing to pay such over-inflated prices...hey, good for the seller, and the buyer is probably happy in their own little way as well. Even with a overly high reserve...who cares? Everyone here on the Café is I believe, smart enough not to fall for such practices (although I've heard that straight auctions with no reserve and a low starting price, usually always sell for a higher price than the same item with a reserve).

The inconsistencies of price, bidding participation and interest, auction techniques, reserves vs. no reserves etc., has been discussed a ton of times here, and is prevalent on large auction sites, and small. (Pay the small membership fee at Martinka's auction site, and you'll have access to their thousands of past prices. Put in a common vintage item - they don't sell much Tenyo unfortunately - and look at the price variances for effects that are all in the same condition. It's amazing. All about supply and demand, who needs what when, and how much they want it). I also see a ton of other collectibles on the big site going for crazy prices, including vintage toys, comics, coins.

I do hate cheaters...false bidders to get prices up, and other poor practices. But otherwise, I say let's just let fools be fools, and capitalism be capitalism.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to lose money on our purchases and even to make a little profit on the Tenyo we buy.

What I find ruins the fun is when there is all out speculation taking place and we see many items being bought just to be resold at higher prices(see the thread on Space Walking Coins as a recent example).

Most of us on this board have regular jobs to make a living. Tenyo is a subset of my magic hobby. I have been into magic for more than 20 years but only into Tenyo collecting for 4 months.

Tenyo are fun little magic toys. Most are not going to be performed for anyone but myself.

We are a very small group of Tenyo collectors and instead of spreading good Tenyo Karma so we can all share in the fun, some are preying on an uninformed collectors passion/addiction to Tenyo to make a larger than reasonable profit and it is likely to leave a bad taste in a new collectors mouth as he is often new to the game once they realize how badly they got screwed.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I hear you pierredan, and agree, except for the "uninformed collector" part. If someone is paying these crazy prices for fun little magic toys, then they are most likely not uninformed...they are most likely wealthy - or have a lot of disposable cash - and want that special T-number to fill a hole in their collection. If someone is uninformed and still paying $380 for a little plastic clock, then they're not only uninformed, they're also irresponsible, and probably just plain stupid.

I don't buy on speculation. Heck, I don't even buy certain Tenyos to complete my collection. I just buy the effects I think are good, solid magic. And many are not. I just don't use any part of my energy or day worrying about it because speculation is legal and part of a capitalistic society. We may not like it, but whenever there is an item or items in demand, you'll find opportunists and these things will happen.

Let your collection grow as your opportunities present themselves. When the trendy items lose their appeal, they'll be available for a lower price. There's supply and demand...and there's patience.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
PierreDan, yo are new in the Tenyo collection but You must understand that nobody in this forum have waited the Good Karma Club to help others. Since the first day I arrived on this forum in begin of 2010, everyone has always done in his way its best to advise, assist, inform, give etc... And all this was done in the simplest way without having to display, exhibit, or show to everyone the good he did and what he gave to others.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Wizard and Stereo are spot on! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Future Clock Craziness! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL