The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coins Across/Three Fly - Which do you prefer for your Street Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
My purpose in the coins is thus:

I began my journey into street magic because I wanted to perform magic again. Getting paid for it would be a nice side effect of doing a show that people enjoy, right? So I began with set of tricks that are proven to get good reactions. I started out doing Silk Vanish, Sponge Balls, I.D. (my version), Professor's Nightmare. Later I added a table and Cups and Balls. I have been doing the same show for a year and the show pays. People like it. But it is very, very, very, generic.

To me it isn't special. I don't feel like it is creative. I have this show that I can use to get paid but I want a show that is creative, full of good magic, makes people feel that they just had a unique experience. Gazzo has his insult comedy, it's just not who I am. Devious has Steam Punk magic. Jimmy, I am not sure how to classify Jimmy but his show is unique and awesome. Nicky Finn has a comedy show that plays everywhere, even in places that don't understand his words. Cellini was a modern day Merlin. You see each of these guys has a "thing." A thing that makes them unique and sets them apart from other magi in the world. It comes from their unique creativity.

I am at a point where I need to make my show, "MY SHOW." I need to have a character. A something, some part of me that stands out and crowds take away with them and NEVER forget.

So, Kozmo asked what do I want with the coins. I want an intimate moment with my audience where we share my amazement of first seeing a coins across routine and the coins impossibly travelling from one place to another. I want to be on the street and have the people so enthralled with my performance that they forget we are standing on a sidewalk and all of the surroundings vanish from their perception. I want each audience member to feel like I am giving them my entire focused attention and it could be just me and them standing there and when last coin goes across, they come back to reality and realize that they are standing in large group of people on the sidewalk and not in some fantasy land where just them and the magician are watching a miracle take place together.

Maybe I want to much but that is what I want the coins to add to my show. Of course if I manage to make the trick that powerful, it will have to be the finale. If I succeed in my goal there will be nothing that could follow that moment. All of this must start with the personality of the magician I am presenting to the audience. What character will I be playing? How does this person dress. What are his mannerisms? Etc.

I can build a crowd. I can hold a crowd. I can get paid. Now I want to add something extra special to the whole experience and give the audience something no one else can.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Gr8, something special huh???? Well in that case, Coins Across, 3 Fly and the such is just child's play as to all that...And you also asked for great "character" as well....Hmmmmmm.

Well, here'ya go...Learn how to do this with coins and you'll be special anywhere you play, and people will remember you always as you remember these fine others you mention. This is done all the time on the streets to great crowds, even completely surrounded. It is unique and quite memorable. Hard to beat it when you're talking about super effective coin magic to boost your show. Get ready to hit the moon with this stuff. Smile You mentioned that your show now is pretty vanilla...well, they won't remember any of that once you do this. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=end......DnQJbYJA

Hey Koz, does this better fit the bill here? Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I love Micky Silver's work. I should better clarify. Since I began my journey into the purest form of entertainment business, busking, I have lived magic every day. I loved it too. Then I got the magical equivalent of writers block. I thought getting into some new effects or some new tricks would help.

It wasn't until today, after taking a 2 week break from most things magical that I started to understand the problem. I am not happy with just making money. I want to create a character and now I must go brainstorm to come up with the new magician Shaun!

What I am saying is that no trick is the answer to my unasked question. The trick doesn't matter. I may do any trick as long as it fits the character I create and that character is fun and entertaining.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
MB - your my fly looks exceptional and the patter with it makes it seem really special. However, I'm not sure how it could be transferred to a large busking crowd the way you do it. Intimate performances for a few people, yes, but it does seem rather angley. In contrast a coins across can have virtually no angle issues, so I would think it would work better for busking in more situations. I also personally prefer coins across due to the suspense, especially of the last coin - I've had spectators refuse to open their hand for quite a while before as they don't want to believe there are 4 coins in their hand, which is why I love coin magic in the spectator's hands!

However, I don't perform 3-fly and I'm only an amateur currently, so I shouldn't judge. It seems 3-fly requires a lot more work to make it convincing, but when it is, it looks amazing.
Any suggestions for removing the suspicion of an extra coin?
I usually find when performing Gadabout coins that they are suspicious after the second stage, so that's when I hit them with the 3 coin vanish, but 3-fly lacks this.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thank you David for the good words here, and welcome to the Café. Smile

I have indeed done this out on the streets for people and it went very well. But I can understand your concerns as to angles. It wasn't a problem for me as I was aware of where people stood and adjusted my actions accordingly. As to any suspicion of an extra coin, well the way I get around this, as per my My Fly, is to continue to give open views of my hands as you see me do throughout the effect. I worked a lot on that very aspect of the effect just to calm spec's minds as to the often-time conclusion of an extra coin involved...I show my hands fairly, again and again as you see, and it seems to arrest this notion.

Anyway, glad you like the effect and I kinda agree that a coins across, because the coins are closed in the hands, could play good out on the streets...Still think both effects can be done out there if you do them well, like anything. Smile

Again, welcome to the Café. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 17:09, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 15:06, silvercup wrote:
Hey Mb217 the reason I asked if you hatted them goes to the purpose in the show Kozmo wrote about.
We're not about this trick is good, people seem to like it, whatever big name has made a great living with it, etc etc., so I'll do it.
There is a method to our madness and a reason for our actions. 3 Fly for me, and apparently others, does not advance the game plan and other coin stuff is far better.

Well then silvercup, I guess don't quite seem to get what you and Koz are saying here? Smile And didn't know you guys were tag-teaming the issue. Smile Actually, I thought that poster you initially agreed with earlier on here, "stperformer" made a good point and then left room for others opinions on it.

Anyway, I gave you my impression of the effect, why I like it and do it. Also, I thought if I mention why others do it, or at least make you realize why better than neophytes or psychofants do it, then perhaps you might help answer your own questions as to why people like it despite it's supposed inability to be everything to everybody. I'm sure Chris Kenner and his good buddy super coin man and closeup magician, Homer Liwag could hold their own with you or Koz as to this topic, as they probably have done many times with those that took some sort of exception with the effect over the many years now. They would not so easily let you "source-out" all the success it has seen so you can then easily have your way about it here as you would like. I remember seeing a discussion with the NY Coin Guys I think about this topic and they seemed to feel as you guys feel about the effect. I respected their thoughts on it but still liked the effect and seemingly so did many hundreds of thousands of others over the years, including specs and magicians. Like I said, to each his own. Smile

I have done several coins across effects including my own versions, along with 3 Fly, especially my own handling of it, "My Fly" and it has a beginning, a middle and an end, good magic and handling all the way through it with some unique parts to it at that. I can remember both Eric Mead and Eric Jones reaching out to compliment me on it, as many others have. My goal was to entertain with it and I believe I've done that many times, as many others have done with there takes on it. Just got through watching card man, Cameron Francis do his version of it, seemed to play well enough to his audience. I'm just sayin'. Smile

If there is method to your madness and reason for your action, then share it, don't quiz me. I can do these effects as well as anybody and have been doing them for years so I do know something about them. Look, you guys are bonafide buskers, and Koz is a respected legend at it...I am not. I am just a guy that loves coin magic and has shared with the craft as to my ideas at times. I have also been out on the streets of NYC for years doing this stuff and I really think that counts for something, whether you count it or not. There are some here that seem to agree with you but there are others that do not. Exactly what game plan are you trying to advance? And you're right, there is other coin stuff that is better, I have a few coin effects myself I think that are better than 3 Fly or Coins Across, but is that the point here?

And Koz, I have the utmost respect for you man, you're a legend...Like the great surfer in Chasing Mavericks, Jay Moriarity or something. I thought you were mentioning the 30,000 shows to me as a reference point. Sorry if I misunderstood. I am no great and powerful Oz as you are, as you have put the heart and soul into being throughout a breath of experiences. I'm just a hobbyist with a few things I've found along the way and shared with others. Other than that, I have no particular ID card to show here. Hope that's OK too. Smile

No one is tag teaming you. No one is ganging up on you. I'd go so far as to say no one cares that much about you. This isn't about you. It's not about me or anyone else. It's about those fortunate enough to get the opportunity to pay for a show. How to arrange the show to entice the largest number of people to reach into their money holder and fork it over.
I speak for my self when I say I don't care what "names" in magic like or perform. I don't even care about what I like or care to perform. All I care about is what the people in front of me, paying me, like.
I asked if you hatted them to help figure out what your purpose was. If we are on the same page we could discuss. We are not. That's cool.
My purpose is getting paid. Everything starts and finishes with that point.
Coins across is a better fit for my purposes.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I thought this weeks blog could be helpful!
Part Two putting a show together - The Opener!
http://www.mariomorris.co.uk/blog/2013/03/
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Gr8gorilla wrote a few posts above:
I want an intimate moment with my audience where we share my amazement of first seeing a coins across routine and the coins impossibly travelling from one place to another. I want to be on the street and have the people so enthralled with my performance that they forget we are standing on a sidewalk and all of the surroundings vanish from their perception. I want each audience member to feel like I am giving them my entire focused attention and it could be just me and them standing there and when last coin goes across, they come back to reality and realize that they are standing in large group of people on the sidewalk and not in some fantasy land where just them and the magician are watching a miracle take place together.

What a great portrayal of what magic is about for the magician and the spectators!
Magic to me is about the magician creating an emotional event for those who are involved as spectators, or more properly, as participants.

Regarding this thread's topic, the people on the street who take part in the magic are not going to be thinking "This trick would have worked better if it as done as the alternative of 'Coins Across"/Three Fly' They'll take the coin trick as it comes. So long as for them they are emotionally involved and entertained. They won't even think too much, in the objective sense, about the emotional effect they experience as they watch the show. But hopefully they will take part in what Gr8gorilla describes - an personally absorbing trip in fantasy land.
The presentation makes the magic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-03-28 11:44, silvercup wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 17:09, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 15:06, silvercup wrote:
Hey Mb217 the reason I asked if you hatted them goes to the purpose in the show Kozmo wrote about.
We're not about this trick is good, people seem to like it, whatever big name has made a great living with it, etc etc., so I'll do it.
There is a method to our madness and a reason for our actions. 3 Fly for me, and apparently others, does not advance the game plan and other coin stuff is far better.

Well then silvercup, I guess don't quite seem to get what you and Koz are saying here? Smile And didn't know you guys were tag-teaming the issue. Smile Actually, I thought that poster you initially agreed with earlier on here, "stperformer" made a good point and then left room for others opinions on it.

Anyway, I gave you my impression of the effect, why I like it and do it. Also, I thought if I mention why others do it, or at least make you realize why better than neophytes or psychofants do it, then perhaps you might help answer your own questions as to why people like it despite it's supposed inability to be everything to everybody. I'm sure Chris Kenner and his good buddy super coin man and closeup magician, Homer Liwag could hold their own with you or Koz as to this topic, as they probably have done many times with those that took some sort of exception with the effect over the many years now. They would not so easily let you "source-out" all the success it has seen so you can then easily have your way about it here as you would like. I remember seeing a discussion with the NY Coin Guys I think about this topic and they seemed to feel as you guys feel about the effect. I respected their thoughts on it but still liked the effect and seemingly so did many hundreds of thousands of others over the years, including specs and magicians. Like I said, to each his own. Smile

I have done several coins across effects including my own versions, along with 3 Fly, especially my own handling of it, "My Fly" and it has a beginning, a middle and an end, good magic and handling all the way through it with some unique parts to it at that. I can remember both Eric Mead and Eric Jones reaching out to compliment me on it, as many others have. My goal was to entertain with it and I believe I've done that many times, as many others have done with there takes on it. Just got through watching card man, Cameron Francis do his version of it, seemed to play well enough to his audience. I'm just sayin'. Smile

If there is method to your madness and reason for your action, then share it, don't quiz me. I can do these effects as well as anybody and have been doing them for years so I do know something about them. Look, you guys are bonafide buskers, and Koz is a respected legend at it...I am not. I am just a guy that loves coin magic and has shared with the craft as to my ideas at times. I have also been out on the streets of NYC for years doing this stuff and I really think that counts for something, whether you count it or not. There are some here that seem to agree with you but there are others that do not. Exactly what game plan are you trying to advance? And you're right, there is other coin stuff that is better, I have a few coin effects myself I think that are better than 3 Fly or Coins Across, but is that the point here?

And Koz, I have the utmost respect for you man, you're a legend...Like the great surfer in Chasing Mavericks, Jay Moriarity or something. I thought you were mentioning the 30,000 shows to me as a reference point. Sorry if I misunderstood. I am no great and powerful Oz as you are, as you have put the heart and soul into being throughout a breath of experiences. I'm just a hobbyist with a few things I've found along the way and shared with others. Other than that, I have no particular ID card to show here. Hope that's OK too. Smile

No one is tag teaming you. No one is ganging up on you. I'd go so far as to say no one cares that much about you. This isn't about you. It's not about me or anyone else. It's about those fortunate enough to get the opportunity to pay for a show. How to arrange the show to entice the largest number of people to reach into their money holder and fork it over.
I speak for my self when I say I don't care what "names" in magic like or perform. I don't even care about what I like or care to perform. All I care about is what the people in front of me, paying me, like.
I asked if you hatted them to help figure out what your purpose was. If we are on the same page we could discuss. We are not. That's cool.
My purpose is getting paid. Everything starts and finishes with that point.
Coins across is a better fit for my purposes.

That's cool Cups, then just do you, man. Smile I don't particular care about you either or whether or not you get paid a lot or a little. Also, I was figuratively speaking as to "tag teaming." I just didn't get the sense that Koz was as much with you on this as you seemed to be with him, that's all...Don't get it twisted. And no need to be so harsh here. It really isn't necessary as we discuss different points of view as to these effects. For me, magic is mostly fun. I have been paid for it as well but it remains mostly fun whether I get paid or not. That doesn't seem to be the case for you, and it certainly isn't a goal for me as I move around and do magic in the streets. With that, to each his own and good luck out there, wherever you are. Smile

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
For the street I've worked with Han Ping Chien coins across. I'm talking in past-tense because it just won't stop snowing in England! Living through the winter/spring on indoor gigs!

I used it in a sidewalk size show with 10p's, which are about the same size as US quarters. I used to end it with a stack of coins finish, and got a half dollar set to try out, but never got round to using it. I had to cut the stack of coins finish as it was too strong and people were walking after it. Now they stay for the last trick! Han Ping Chien worked great, almost too well. I keep meaning to try using the old full routine for a pack tiny finale, see if it'll be a sidewalk size cups substitute. The props are small they brought the audience in, asking questions to the audience involved them, noisy, and works surrounded even when you are being burnt.

I've worked with both coins across and 3-fly too, but only for indoors close-up. My 3-fly isn't 100% angle proof, and my coins across routine is a more intimate routine, at least in my head! Never tried any of them in a half-circle show though.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I will add a note on angles and I am not sure if my experience will apply to coins, perhaps someone more experienced in this area can chime in.

First some background, I started out doing sidewalk shows and graduated to half circles. I have done the horseshoe variation of a full circle at some larger festivals and on some busy days on the street. I typically do a half circle show.

Now, when I first added the cups and balls to my act, I would worry about spectators too close to side of my table. You know the spot right? I load from a servante so there is a place that if you are standing there, and if you are looking at the right spot you can see the final melon load. I mean it is impossible to cover with your hand... I found that the more I did the show the less I had to worry. I realized that while I was doing the dirty work, I wasn't thinking about it. I was only thinking about what everyone was supposed to see. When I got to this point, it didn't matter where people were standing. If I had a spectator standing beside me, an assistant so to speak, I could make all of my loads and the person in the worst possible spot saw the exact same magic that everyone else saw from the front.

This wasn't always the case. When I first started my misdirection wasn't that strong because I wasn't as comfortable. The angles became covered by the misdirection. What I want to know (and I think I know the answer) is do you find this happening in your coin magic? Can your routine and comfortableness with it begin to cover even those bad impossible angles with strong misdirection? I haven't done as many shows as some but on the street I have probably done my cups and balls 20 or more times a day for live audiences. When you do that much of any magic I would guess that as long as long as your technique is solid and you work on misdirection that there is no angle that can't be covered. Do you coin guys find this to be true?
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Gr8gorilla - I'm still a complete newb compared to everyone else here, but I recently filmed myself and noticed a few flashes in a new routine I was working on. However, I had already performed it to about 20 people and none of them noticed, so I would think that is the case. I'm also certain that my Down's palm flashes sometimes, but it doesn't catch the light - and as TT users will know, they're not really looking there regardless Smile

Mb - thanks for the welcome Smile I will definitely start trying out 3 fly on the public now. I usually open with a 4 coin production, followed by coins across, but thinking about it, I show both hands empty before the 4th coin production, so I might as well keep that one not produced and follow with 3 fly! I'll work on my subtleties too. Thanks again Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coins Across/Three Fly - Which do you prefer for your Street Show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL