The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » NEW Roth Article (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
When it rains, it pours! Here is ANOTHER article about David Roth, that just came out. Bravo David!
http://narrative.ly/wild-cards/a-magical-mentorship/
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes it does Doc. Another wonderfully spun story on Roth. Fascinating man, and that I used to see him here and there in NYC throughout my life really makes me smile. Smile I remember watching him in Tannen's and Fantasma and thought, "Unbelievable - What a guy." Smile

These tributes to him are much deserved as he truly did the work and clearly moved the needle unlike has been seen in a long time. His association and friendship with Dai Vernon was a real ticket for him, straight to the top, but not without true learning and growing to come to create great stuff and history.

Glad I saw some glimpses of him up close along my way. I have chatted with Roth a few times throughout my life here and there as many probably have, I would guess. I can only hope it was as special to them as it was and remains to me. Smile My magic has certainly been touched by the man and as such all the wonderful history that touched him.

Roth makes a lot of great comments in the article but to me his point about not being a robot, and taking a move, effect, routine, etc., and adding to its basic potential through your own hand and mind about it, making it something (and perhaps even making yourself) a bit more than what it was, is what it is all about as to the man, his story and magic in general. Much respect.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
starscream
View Profile
New user
somerdale NJ
10 Posts

Profile of starscream
Your a lucky guy!Im a late bloomer with coin magic.I just started researching his life.Trying to get his book a little harder to find than I thought.Just joined the Café new at this is my favorite section so far!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

If you look at the website, there is also a nice article on tannens magic shop.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, I saw that...what memories and so happy that the shop continues on. That's real magic. Smile

And starscream, Welcome to the Café and especially to the coin magic part of it...it's an interestingly great journey as the Roth article clearly shows. Enjoy!

--Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-03-06 09:29, starscream wrote:
Your a lucky guy!Im a late bloomer with coin magic.I just started researching his life.Trying to get his book a little harder to find than I thought.Just joined the Café new at this is my favorite section so far!

tough to find a better place to start serious study than direct learning from the NY coin symposium guys. Mike R usually announces the event.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Excellent articles; not only informative about Roth, and Vernon in the second article, but also about the history of magic.

Magic is definitely going through an adjustment period, but I think it will survive all the stronger. Perhaps it got to where there were too many brick and morter shops. After all, Roth was a patron of not just any ol' magic shop.

I'm not sure about other magicians' experience. I don't know who these people are that are on the internet on their phone looking up the trick you are doing so they can announce to the audience how the trick is done even before you are finished, but they are not people I perform for. So I think the internet will only make us better magicians.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
A well deserved recognition. Even the fonts for the article are classy.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Ramin
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Ramin
An enjoyable article. I think it would have been intimidating to do that first show at the Castle with Vernon sitting at the table.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Wonderful article. I was unaware the Professor was Canadian ! Thanks for posting this.
starscream
View Profile
New user
somerdale NJ
10 Posts

Profile of starscream
This article really brings you back To that period, what it was like getting your resourses.Reading books that werent readily available and affordable. Talking to other magicians on the street trying to make a living of the art.How people stuck together without technology.David Roth is in our living life time The great one of coin!
NYVetteGuy
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of NYVetteGuy
Quote:
On 2013-03-06 09:29, starscream wrote:

I was lucky enough to buy the book directly from him at Fantasma a few years ago...we were able to talk a bit about Magic and this and that....he took the time to sign the book as well...for a time I would go to Fantasma often and would look forward to seeing David...great guy..
Wouter
View Profile
New user
Holland
62 Posts

Profile of Wouter
An enjoyable article indeed. I've met David Roth twice. A true inspiration!
Coin magic. Easy to learn, hard to master.
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Great article, I really enjoyed it. Roth has accomplished a lot in his life. Congrats Roth!

I was hoping sometime in the future I could visit fantasma magic shop and pay a visit to you, Michael rubinstein and David Roth. Sad to hear that won't be the case with Roth. It was one of my main reasons for visiting NYC. Do work there Michael?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
David's birthday is coming up SOON!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
*Sneaks in and whispers: "David Roth is also excellent with cards" and sneaks back to The Workers section*
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-03-11 15:06, Vlad_77 wrote:
*Sneaks in and whispers: "David Roth is also excellent with cards" and sneaks back to The Workers section*

David Roth was also a great vocalist....No...wait...that was David Lee Roth...my bad... guess I will retreat to the workers section also Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Neither of us work there Kevin, but they have a nice Houdini exhibit worth seeing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » NEW Roth Article (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL