The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » David Regal's New 4 Set DVDs » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
They came in yesterday and somehow I managed to burn through them all.

If David set out to give us a detailed commentary on presentation, audience participation, a strong premise, etc., as the DVD titles suggest, I'd say he failed. Make no mistake about it, these videos are a collection of tricks. And there's nothing wrong with that. To David's credit, if you want to learn about the titles on the box, just watch him perform. It's all there. At any rate, we're left with a plethora of striking, original effects.

A word of warning. Mr Regal is ruthless. He doesn't have a guilty bone in his body. If it creates an impossibly cool effect, anything goes.The explanation section is a wonderfully frustrating thing. I was fooled so badly by a few effects. Occassionally I'd say to myself, "I have no idea how he did that...unless he used that type of gimmick or that type of trick deck. But he'd never do that." Yes, he would! And so should you. It's not the method, it's the effect. And the effects are breathtaking.

I'd recommend the 4 disc collection, but if you're looking to get just one, I'd start with volume 3, followed by 2, then 1, then 4. Actually, you could probably totally do without 4. It just doesn't hold up to the others.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
How does this new set compare to his previous set of dvds? Which of the tricks on the whole are more 'ruthless'?
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2003-11-20 10:23, Lonewolf123 wrote:
How does this new set compare to his previous set of dvds? Which of the tricks on the whole are more 'ruthless'?

I think the new set is right on par with the old. He's creative and ruthless with just about everything. Just like on the other collection, he lies, lies, and lies some more. And he does it with such conviction. It all seems so fair. The one thing I do get bothered by is all the equivoque. And like on the old tapes, he uses quite a bit of it. Does it fool? I think it does. I just really don't like using it.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Thanks Platt for the review, I'm currently investigating these DVDs to get for myself.

digitaltrip
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Magicians are great liars..oh well.what can I say..they don't call it 'the art of deception'for nuthin.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » David Regal's New 4 Set DVDs » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL