The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New to busking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I am not new to magic but am new to this area of it. I have been a table hopper for over six years but would like to do some busking this summer. Can any of you recommend your favorite resources for learning busking? Thanks.

-Paul
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Check out http://www.kozmomagic.com/ and get his DVD "Tales From the Street" He teaches you EVERYTHING on that 2 vol set.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thank you Paddy. I just put this on the top of my wish list.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
For Free resources check out JimmyTalksAlot's blogspot. You can also read my thread here on the Café, diary of a beginning Street magician. You can ask questions to and most here will try to help. I think the hardest part for you will be:

. Building a crowd.

2. Learning how to hat the crowd.

3. Selecting the proper effects for a Street show.

4. Learning how to setup your pitch.

Good luck. You could always just get out there. You will learn the most from just doing it.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Hi, Paul. Nice to hear you're interested in busking.
The best resources are the ones that supply the information that YOU need.
And the way to find that out, I suggest, if you haven't already done it, is to first go to various internet sites and get some feeling for what's involved in busking. This thread on The Magic Café, Performers.net, Sidewalk performers, and Buskerscafe American are some places. Good advice is scattered in these sites and bit by bit you'll get more information together for yourself. But it's a long road to collect information that way, and going direct to compact resources is a better way to go when you start out.

My recommendation for two basic resources are:
Print: I have, and recommend, Jimmy Talksalot's book "To Lure with Spectacle..." It's got lots of solid advice. He talks that when you start out you are going to suck. Suck real bad.
I've been working part-time on the streets for 4 years and I still refer to Jimmy's book about once a week, because I find there is benefit in rereading sections of the book.

DVD: I have the DVD "Tales From the Street" [mentioned above by Paddy] as one of the few DVDs I have on busking and think it is my most value DVD on the topic.

Time and again, the advice from buskers to beginners is "Get out and busk". Don't spend too much time reading up, or watching DVDs about busking; get out an busk and learn from doing. Learn from the people you perform for. Watch their reactions to what you do. Some of them will point out your faults by their non-malicious comments to you or their friends.
Colin C. Schwamm
The presentation makes the magic.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
All great advice, Jimmy's blog and book a must.

A quick bit about my busking story.
I was working at the Science Museum in London. I did guide tours to public and corporate clients. I have preformed science shows to many types of aduiances. As a kid I was more a Juggler but as a adult I got back into magic. So as a confidant performer along with alrigth skill in magic and a prepared routine. I went out for the first time. I feel a bits. I tried and tried, read and along with practice, practice and practice. But still struggled. So I had a confidace battle it dint go well. Then I decide to go out just with my Diablos and busk a trickle. As I got use to the street I started to carry magic with me. And if people stooped I would do a trick or two. I was out on the street on and off for 4 years doing this. The past 2 and 1/2 years I go out just with magic. All this time things are better and better. A bout a year ago things really changed I could go out stop a crowd build a crowd do a show beging to end and hat line and collect fat hats. The money I collected on a good day with diablos I can make in a 2 hours on a clody day with a fuller show.

My advice is go and do it.
1) pick 3 effects you do well and stop people on the street and do them. I dose not have to be a circle show. 2 mintes to 2 people is fine you just want to stop them entrainer them then let them go.
2) Use a visual effect you can do and do like fibre optics and just keep doing it and get use to be out there.
3) Keep notes of each performance.
4) Keep going.
5) Keep going.

Just wanted to share my story to hopefully help you out. By the way my time span was long as I did it so on and of don't worry it can be done quicker.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
It will all be clear after your 1,000th show.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thanks for all the great advice. I want to get out there and do it, but I also want to be as prepared as possible. I guess figure there is no reason to pummel my ego any more than necessary. I started out a nervous wreck in magic and have finally gained some confidence in my restaurant. (over six years at the same place).

I know going out on the street I will be quite nervous again, but would rather not look that way if at all possible.

I will check out some of the resources mentioned above and do what I can to prepare.

Thanks again everybody.

-Paul
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Paul, this is exciting news!

Chris Capehart's Street Magic Lecture notes‏ have it all.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Hi, Good Luck out there Good Book is The Royal Touch Jim Cellini or any of his DvDs
Stop Them , MaKe Them Stay , Make Them Pay , Words from Cellini

Mike
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 00:18, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice. I want to get out there and do it, but I also want to be as prepared as possible. I guess figure there is no reason to pummel my ego any more than necessary. I started out a nervous wreck in magic and have finally gained some confidence in my restaurant. (over six years at the same place).

I know going out on the street I will be quite nervous again, but would rather not look that way if at all possible.

I will check out some of the resources mentioned above and do what I can to prepare.

Thanks again everybody.

-Paul

paul you will not be prepared for the street. no matter how much you do. the most important part is .... YOU!

a street show is 3 parts.

HOW TO GET A CROWD!

HOW TO KEEP A CROWD!

HOW TO GET PAID FROM THAT CROWD!

Work on the first 2 points. without those point you wont have point three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwGmFXSy4k go and see many street performers and look how they build and play with the audience. this area is where you have to go an master the art of the street.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Paul, I can not find any cities in Michigan that has busking permits. That makes it harder, but there are still ways to get around it.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 19:09, ROBERT BLAKE wrote: GREAT ACT MIKE
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 00:18, Paul Rathbun wrote:

Thanks again everybody.

-Paul

paul you will not be prepared for the street. no matter how much you do. the most important part is .... YOU!

a street show is 3 parts.

HOW TO GET A CROWD!

HOW TO KEEP A CROWD!

HOW TO GET PAID FROM THAT CROWD!

Work on the first 2 points. without those point you wont have point three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwGmFXSy4k go and see many street performers and look how they build and play with the audience. this area is where you have to go an master the art of the street.
HowaboutBob
View Profile
New user
south of atlanta
54 Posts

Profile of HowaboutBob
Six years handling the public in the restaurant should give you a little bit of a headstart out on the street. Be confident.

Bob
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Dynamike,
Holland, Michigan is celebrating it's 5th year with it's street-performing program
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank for letting me know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New to busking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL