The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » To core or not to core... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
Help me out here folks. I've recently started playing with ropes. Already I've found a ton of good information here at the Café as well but I'm curious. I'm looking at purchasing a spool of rope from Baronian. It looks like the BTC2 or BTC3 at 10mm or roughly 3/8 would work well. It is available with or without a core. Most everything I've read seems to point to coring the rope regardless of where you get it. Is there any reason to purchase the rope with the core? Or should I just save myself the hassle and go straight to the rope without the core? Any guidance before I purchase over 300 feet of rope would be super helpful.

Thanks,

~Rogue
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Hello Rogue,
It really depends on what type of rope work you are getting into. Each person on here has his/her preference when it comes to rope. The BTC2 and BTC3 are completely different ropes, the BTC3 is not the same as BTC2 without the core. The BTC3 is a lot softer and loose. Hope this helps. Looking forward to working with you.

Dany Baronian
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Just go with Core and decore as needed, easy to do, I had the spool of rope with core,,, cut my length then de cored. If I needed good ends.... Not Frayed, I rolled them in and glued,,,, then if you need a sturdier rope for any effect, use the cored rope, then de cor e a bit off each end and roll in and glue,,, works great, Best of luck
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 22:01, tropicalillusions wrote:
Just go with Core and decore as needed, easy to do, I had the spool of rope with core,,, cut my length then de cored. If I needed good ends.... Not Frayed, I rolled them in and glued,,,, then if you need a sturdier rope for any effect, use the cored rope, then de cor e a bit off each end and roll in and glue,,, works great, Best of luck

The cored rope has never had a core, it has great body to it and retains its shape as you perform. A rope that has been de-cored was not meant to stay together or have body.

Also, you have to do some R&D investment. Get both types of rope and decide. If you get cored and de-core it you will not have the advantage which (as Baronian says) of using the coreless rope which is a different style of rope.
The cored rope is a tight casing made up of thread, like a stuffed shoelace. The coreless is a thick diamond braided rope casing.
cored

coreless
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
Thank you so much one and all for the feedback. The detail of the responses has helped tremendously! Dany, I too look forward to working with you. Ian, those pictures truly spoke a thousand words. Tropical, what you say makes sense. Again many thanks!

~Rogue
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Flat rope looks odd.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
Wow! Just...WOW! Friday evening about 5:30pm my time (Central) I went to the Baronian Trading Company website and ordered Dany's Sampler Pack of ropes. In the Sampler pack you receive 25 foot of each of the rope available. The BTC1, BTC2, BTC3, and BTC4. I gotta say I was truly impressed. Within 10 minutes of placing the order I received my invoice via email along with the calculation of shipping charges. I paid the shipping charges as well. This was Friday. I arrived home this evening to find the ropes had already been delivered!! Each rope is very nice though I must say I am madly in love with the BTC4. Big, White, Soft...just beautiful rope. All told 100 feet of rope for $20 plus shipping. Dany - You sir are just fantastic. Thank you!

~Rogue
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Give a man enough rope and he'll hang his wife...

(Baronian is a square deal company) Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I still have some of the rope that Fran Marshall (Magic Inc) sold 30 years ago! If I ever run out, I'll need to talk to Mr. Boronian!

I like rope with a core, because of the weight. For knot routines and ring and rope routines, it works better (for me!) Also, I do the Norwegian YoYo (see Denny Loomis' DVD on knots) and the weight of rope with core helps.

Magicians:::I'm curious regarding whipping the ends by rolling (or tucking) in the ends AND GLUING. I learned from the late Roy Kissell (who got it from June Horowitz) to just tuck in the ends. My ropes have been machine washed for well over 20 years. Occasionally one thread will start to 'back out' but it tucks back in easily.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » To core or not to core... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL