The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » RSVP Presents Packs Small Plays MASSIVE by Jamie Allan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Brandon Sheffield
Packs Small Plays MASSIVE

I got this in the mail today and I can’t tell you how excited I was to pop this in learn some great magic. I did, and I learned so much more!
I wanted to check this out because I love the idea of doing close up magic to a bigger audience. Not that there is anything wrong with big illusions, I love to watch them be performed. But myself personally, I would rather perform close up magic.

First off I want to say that I’m a huge fan of Russ Stevens’s style of production, and I have a lot of the DVD’s that he has produced. But I have to say this is probably his best looking production yet. Its beautifully shot and looks amazing. The lighting and the set up was great.

Now on to Jamie Allen!

I have to say that I love the way Jamie performs, he is an instantly likable guy on stage. He doesn’t come across as arrogant in any way.
I love how his show looks very minimal and sleek. The lighting set up for his performance of The Gypsy Thread was gorgeous!

And that’s really what this DVD is about. More so than the tricks, Jamie goes over lighting, cameras, and his table set up. I have a better understanding now of not only how to bring my close up magic to a larger stage. I also learned how to perform on a stage even better now

Because not only does he go over everything I mentioned above. But Jamie also goes over stage presence, eye contact, and how to increase the chances of you getting a standing ovation and how to keep doing something to stop it, before it had a chance to begin.

Jamie also goes over framing. And you can tell that he has performed these effects probably thousands of times. Because he not only knows where the deck or props are going to be at all times, but he also knows when he needs to step away from the deck and when to zoom the camera in or out.

Tricks:

His version of Gypsy Thread will be going into my working set. I have L&L set on this effect, and could never find a handling of this effect that suited me. I love his version. I love his version and I love this effect.

Banded was Jamie’s signed card with rubber band. Kind of like an ACR. This fooled me pretty good, for some reason the method flew right by me. I love it when that happens! I love the method behind this and I’m definitely going to play around with this.

Executive Transvestite was a really nice 3 card routine. I’m sure a lot of guys will like this. I liked watching it, but I’ve never been a fan of performing these kind of routines. It just doesn’t fit my style of magic. Out of the four routines, this one and Banded was explained with captions and an audio track. It worked great. A lot like the David Stone DVD’s.

Cardtoon Rebooted!

Wow Jamie has taken an older routine that probably sets and the bottom of most magician’s bottom drawer, and make it something that could be a closer to a stage show!! To me this was worth the cost of the DVD! Not because the effect was great (it was) but because it’s a great example of thinking outside of the box. He has literally made me want to perform this effect, and I swore I never would because to me it screamed cheesy. You always hear about how it’s not the effect that’s bad, but the magician’s presentation. This couldn’t be truer of this effect.

While I only received the second volume I have to buy the first one now. Its that good. Go get this as soon as you can. Not only will you learn some great effects but more so this will help you make your shows better. So even if you don’t plan on taking your magic to a stage any time soon. His advice on the topics above will help with any version of a magic show you currently perform.

Get it here!
http://www.rsvpmagic.com/packs-small-plays-massive/
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
What is it about his Gypsy Thread that you like do much compared to others you've seen?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I just ordered this today from penguin, both volumes, I'm happy to see this glowing review

Are you more inspired to do close up on stage from this?

Close up kind of magic really intrigued me and I know the pay for stage can be much better than doing a group to group kind of performance.

I'm very intrigued.
Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Brandon Sheffield
Motown!

I would have to say the set up is cleaner and simple. I have my own presentation I want to do for this effect. But if you go to Jamie's website you can see how he performs it and it looks amazing sir. I don't think any one would watch the explanation and say they saw something groundbreaking. But out of the versions I've seen, this one I like Smile

Blindside!

Yes after watching this I was inspired to starting thinking about what close up routine I currently perform, could be plugged into a stage show. I guess I've never thought about close up in that way. This set def inspired me!

Brandon
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Cardtoon from the stage? Is that possible? I love the effect.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It is. I got the DVD myself a few days ago and gave it a watch.

It'd be quite an investment to do this but it'd be worth it, a few thousand bucks would be made back doing gigs of course.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I was going through youtube and found it performed by Jamie. It looks and plays well.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 18:08, charliemartin wrote:
I was going through youtube and found it performed by Jamie. It looks and plays well.

Yeah there are a few performances on youtube and quite a few if you google for Jamie Allen's website. Very possible to invest and do this stuff on stage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » RSVP Presents Packs Small Plays MASSIVE by Jamie Allan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL