The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » The Amazing Tim (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
Hi every body I'm Tim and I've been doing magic since I was 8 and I wacthed Criss Angle Mindfreak I have done magic at parks and I'm doing the school talent show I'm doing the following.
1. I appear.
2. my assistant appears.
3. master box prediction.
4. divided lady(saw in half)
5. straight jacket escape.
6. Metarmorhosis.
7. Teleportation.

And I'm only 12 in Year 8
I am saving up for A new prop but need peoples oppinion on cheap large props

Rgards.
TIM
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey...you couldn't have read my note to you in mitch gamble's thread already--it's only 5 nanoseconds old.

"...12 in year 8..." please translate! I'm not that good in higher mathematics.

The coat of arms of a small town illusionist is a 'truss, rampant upon a station wagon' (I stole that line, too, from Jay Marshall.

My entire hour show weighs less than 30lbs--and that's if I decide to do the arm chopper. I set up in 2-3 minutes, and tear down in about the same.

My opinion on 'cheap large props' is that cheap large props are just what they are: cheap large props.

THE PERFORMER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HIS PROPS!

I caught Nate Staniforth's college concert program last year, He did an HOUR, and CARRIED ALL THE PROPS IN HIS POCKETS, and RECEIVED A LARGE (heavy) CHECK when he walked off.

Anyhow, WELCOME!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
SORRY Smile
I'm only 12 with dislexya
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
I'm in year 8 and I don't have a lot of money.
yankay37
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
176 Posts

Profile of yankay37
Welcome Tim. Where are you from?

Browse the forums, you should find many recommendations for new stage effects!
Stay passionate about magic, and good luck!
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Welcome to the Café and Happy Trails Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Tim1234$,

As one Dyslexic to another, Re- read every post before hitting submit and Spell Check is your friend!

You don't need all illusions in a Stage show.

You want some stage "Stand-Up" like Linking Rings, Newspaper tear, Professors Nightmare and Silk Magic.

Talking to your audience during the show helps create a connection.

Good Luck!

-Mary Mowder
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
I do close up magic and things like linking rings Ect
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
I live in Perth, Australia

Kind Regards
Tim
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Tim!
I didn't have much money either while I was growing up (I was born in the '30s--the GREAT DEPRESSION YEARS IN THE U.S.A.)

I learned, early, to use my hands,and my brain. (I didn't have to buy them! (I didn't know there was such a thing as a magic shop until I was 13, and I lived 300 miles from the nearest one, anyway. I found books in the public library. They helped tremendously.

A piece of soft rope (the cord from my dad's bathrobe)a deck of cards, a few silk handkerchiefs (from my mother)a large tin can and a bunch of tokens (1/2 dollar size) plus a couple real 1/2 dollars were my basic starting props. (I didn't even have a TT!)

With those meager props I started out. Later, I was able to buy a few small props like a die box and a pair of Chinese Sticks. After a year or so of doing shows, I was able to get an arm chopper and a set of Hippity Hop Rabbits. But, when I joined the Navy in 1951, I carried only the orignal small props. They all fit in a small shaving kit case. The tin can wouldn't fit so the Misers Dream was temporarily out of the show.

I made enough money playing "little" shows around the city and the Naval base, that I didn't cash a Navy paycheck for almost four years.That money all was deposited in the bank!

I would suggest to you that you put the big illusion show on hold, and concentrate, at your age, on learning to perform with simple props you can make at home, or buy cheaply in local stores. THE BEST MAGIC SHOP IN THE WORLD, IS A THRIFT STORE (SECOND HAND STORE).

The hardest thing for a young magician "wannabee" to learn, is that:
THE PERFORMER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP.

My friend,HARRY BLACKSTONE Jr. flew with his assistants to SINGAPORE to play a big theatre. He and the crew arrived. His entire illusion show (props, wardrobe etc.) had been sent by ship,AND DID NOT ARRIVE. Harry did not cancel the date. He and his crew, in one day, built from cardboard, enough big props and a few illusions to do a show. Harry filled in with a deck of cards, and a piece of rope.

Incidently, with those small props that I've mentioned above in the third paragraph, I did my first big show in our local Jr. High School. On October 24, 1945, (I was 13) I did a 40 minute show and made $26.00. In today's money,that would be about $250.00!!!

I further suggest that you read, study, and practice doing small tricks, and learn how to make the performance of them, FUN.

I hope that this has been helpful.

Dick Oslund (81 years old and still performing!)
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Tim
Welcome to the Café - I look forward to reading your posts.
You sound like you have a lot of energy and are keen to improve your magic performance.
It also sounds like you have already done a lot of work and study to put that type of show together.
I am wondering how often you get to peform that type of show????
What Mary said about writing in the forum is great advice - take it slow and check it before you send the message.
BTW you and I live in the same country but we live as far away as any 2 people could and still be in Oz.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
I live in perth
mch64961
View Profile
New user
TN
82 Posts

Profile of mch64961
Welcome to the Café, enjoy your stay!
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Tim
How are things going with the show?
Thimblerigger
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Thimblerigger
Hey Tim,

Welcome to the forum and best of luck.

-- Steven
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Tim,
Let me welcome you to our beautiful Café. As you have noticed it is one of a kind;unique.Absolutely the best the best place about magic ever.You will find this as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has over 54.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
We are glad that you have joined us.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
Thanks guy's
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
Anybody there
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Tim! Welcome back! Last month you introduced yourself and told us a little about the tricks you are doing. (Mostly BIG PROPS) You mentioned your age and grade in school and that you are dyslexic. We were all 12 once! We were all in the 8th grade once. Mary has dyslexia. I have poor eyesight and am almost deaf. I have diabetes, a spinal problem, and I'm 81. I don't know about Bob. But, we all perform. Mary is a full time professional, I'm a retired full time professional (I started in 1945,when I was in the 8th grade and 13. Troppo performs now.

You asked for peoples' opinions on "cheap large props".

A few people welcomed you and one or two suggested that you look over the forums for ideas, etc.

Several of us, Troppo Bob, Mary Mowder, and I made some strong suggestions that, at your age, and experience, AND with limited finances, that you start learning to perform with smaller props.

It seems to all three of us (and we have all had considerable experience ) that you appear to be TRICK ORIENTED. You should be learning how to perform tricks in which YOU GET THE CREDIT FOR THE EFFECT, AND NOT A BOX!

THE PERFORMER IS ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP!!!!!!!

You never replied, except to say that you live in Perth.

Troppo Bob (an Australian countyman of yours)and Mary and I like to help young guys. But, to do that it is important to COMMUNICATE! Communication is a two way process.

Did you understand anything of what Mary or Troppo Bob or I said??? If not, reply and ask questions!

THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE THAT YOU DIDN'T ASK!!

we cannot TEACH YOU ANYTHING!!!

We can only HELP YOU LEARN!

Learning is an ACTIVE PROCESS!

>>>>>>MARY OR BOB Please join in!<<<<<<<<<<<<
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Tim
Still here how are things going.
I have a day of today and am just about to head down for a bit of serious surfing here at Crescent Head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » The Amazing Tim (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL