The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Overhand Shuffle Confusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RebelZero
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of RebelZero
I recently signed up for Aaron Fisher's online class through Penguin Magic. It's a year long course that gives you a new video from Aaron to download every month. I've purchased many of Aaron's videos before and always found him to be a superb teacher.

The first lesson deals with the overhand shuffle and its attendant control. Aaron mentioned that this is a neglected move in many magicians' repertoires because they never took the time to master it and moved on to other controls. I'm one of those. However, after watching this video I'm determined to add it to my arsenal. Aaron mentions that we students should follow his directions explicitly because every finger placement/movement is important.

I've followed this and practiced the overhand shuffle for a week now. I'm getting a bit better but I have a question for those of you who routinely use this method.

Aaron says the grip should be deep when grasping the deck in preparation for the shuffle. He indicates that the second phalanx of the middle finger is what should contact the edge of the cards, along with the thumb in deep at the other side. This gives cover as the fingers extend over the face of the deck. However, it's extremely uncomfortable for me, even after a lot of practice. I feel very little control over the pack.

Royal Road says the deck should be grasped by the first phalanx of the middle finger and the thumb closer to the tip. It's a much shallower grip that doesn't provide as much cover but, really, how much cover is needed for this?

Royal Road's method is more comfortable for me. I feel I have better control over every aspect of the shuffle. I'm wondering how important this point is. Should I do what feels/works best for me or should I just knuckle under and do it just as Aaron teaches?

What do you find works best?
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Personally, I've never seen Aaron's videos, so I can't tell you how good those are.

I, too, was stunned to see how much I've overlooked the overhand shuffle when I began learning from Royal Road. But, after a bit of practice, I think I've got it down even better than before.

And quite honestly, I don't think it necessarily matters where your fingers are placed. I mean....it does to some extent, but it doesn't really alter the shuffle if you put your first finger on the deck instead of your third finger or whatever.

Just do what feels naturally.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
It's oe of the first things I teach in Close-Up Card Magic (1962). And one of the first things I teach in my book, THE MAGIC BOOK (1977). Both are available in my TCC volumes. I've received literally thousands of letters over the decades telling me that this is what taught them to do the overhand jog shuffle properly.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
PS: I use it a LOT. If you think it can help, you might want to check some of the effects I do on youtube to me doing so. HL.

RebelZero
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of RebelZero
Thanks, I will.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On 2013-03-26 16:18, RebelZero wrote:
What do you find works best?

I think Aaron is a good and thoughtful teacher but I learned the jog shuffle from Harry Lorayne's books and it works for me. (Except I shuffle left to right even though I'm right-handed. I've never been able to do it successfully the other way so I'm resigned to it!)
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Harry, I've used your OH Jog Shuffle technique for over 40 years!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
MKoeppel
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of MKoeppel
The overhand shuffle is the first shuffle I learned. In Europe riffle shuffling is not that common (definitely was not when I learned shuffling as a kid). I never learned it from a book though, but just picked it up when learning to play cards. That said, I grip the cards with the first phalanx (i.e. as indicated in RR).

Best, markus
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Glad to have been of help, guys - and thanks so much for saying so publicly. Besdt - Harry L. (Who knows? Others my now check "it" out because of your posts.)

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
The Magic Book is the first book on magic I ever purchased. I was about 14 and decided that I wanted a book I could keep instead of returning them to the local library. I still use the things Mr Lorayne shared in that beautiful black book.
MKoeppel
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of MKoeppel
Just to clarify: I have really small hands, so holding the deck with the first phalanx comes naturally to me. I guess what I wanted to say is that you might take your hands geometry into consideration. By no means did I intend to say, that Mr. Fishers advice was wrong.

Best, markus
Captain C
View Profile
New user
England
24 Posts

Profile of Captain C
Do what you feel most comfortable with.
Captain C
View Profile
New user
England
24 Posts

Profile of Captain C
Everyone has their own opinion, but I think Hugard's description on The Royal Road will be pretty bombproof since it's one of those books that has stood the test of time and is still so highly rated.
micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
In Royal Road the instructions say to run 3 cards before getting your i***g. Does anyone use this method? It seems like a good idea in terms of throwing spectators off the scent. It seems that a lot of people (Aaron Fisher included I believe) suggest just getting the i***g right away. I'm always nervous about people seeing the i***g because their eyes will be on the deck after just having returned their card. Let me be clear though. I'm not concerned about people seeing the i***g after I created it, it's the initial creation of the i***g that bothers me.

I've posted a similar question before on this forum. I'm always interested in hearing people's opinions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Overhand Shuffle Confusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL