The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Trick/Effect for 10 *really* smart guys? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Just like the title says...
I am in the Army and am presenting a "Brown Bag" lunch brief on "Critical Thinking".
It is an hour long brief and for my fellow staff officers (5-10 guys). They are all really smart guys that are the kind that will not be easily fooled.
This will be in a small conference room setting, informal.

I want to do an opening trick to start off my briefing. Can be related to "Critical Thinking", but doesn't have to.

Looking for suggestions/thoughts?

Do NOT want to do: Sponge balls (or any sponge), or anything with TT's as they will most likely "know" these.
No time limit either.

This is taking place in a month, so it isn't a spur of the moment thing.

Just thought it would be fun to discuss here for all to see/comment, etc.

Thanks!!!

Mike
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The Trick that Fooled Einstein, it's on one of Oeterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles DVDs.

A version of Out of this World, Oil & Water or 3 Card Monte

Sheep & Theives ( see Ron Bauer's Private Studies booklet
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
First of all THANK YOU for your service.

I love the coin Matrix and you can develop a script to cover almost anything for it.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Habbrock
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
Out of this Universe by Harry Lorayne. I've fooled some really smart people with it.
-Jason Porter
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Bowling by Andrew mayne. It's perfect. It was originally conceived to illustrate a presentation on critical thinking, and it even uses a brown bag. You can find it on shock fx, free fall, or magic magazine (the one with him on the cover).
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Ironically I find that really smart people are easier to fool because they overlook the simple methods. You should check out "The Grid" by Richard Wiseman. Baffling card trick as well as intelluctual.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hopping halves is great. Especially when you let them look at the coins, and then switch out the real coins for the gimmick set.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I use a sealed deck with the wonder sealer with a psypher inside. You can create any effect, but I like to do a human lie detector effect.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Watch one of James Randi's lectures. He "gets" his audience every time with the fake eyeglasses and fake microphone bit, and those aren't even magic tricks- they just play on people's assumptions of a person's honesty when they should be more skeptical. If that's your goal, to keep them from getting fooled, you have to show them how easily they can be fooled and they should take nothing for granted.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I too, would do out of this universe, it fools every time.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!
@Andy: Thanks for your support! nice to hear and ALWAYS makes my day!

Bowling bowl (Mayne). I forgot about that one. And the bag would play well w/ "Brown Bag Lunch".

Out of this Universe: that's a great effect for sure. HL is amazing.
I need to check out "The Grid". Haven't heard of that one.
And Hopping Halves is always fun to do. Not very hard and can focus on the patter..

This is fun and I really appreciate the input.
Not to get too personal. But I just had surgery. To stop having kids... so. I have a few days to play around while taking it easy! Smile

Please add to this.
I LOVE the Café'

Mike
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-03-27 15:10, mikenewman wrote:

Not to get too personal. But I just had surgery. To stop having kids... so. I have a few days to play around while taking it easy! Smile

Please add to this.
I LOVE the Café'

Mike

Ice is your best friend right now!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Lol. Or frozen peas....
I use to hate peas. But now love them!!!
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Just watched "The Trick that Fooled Einstein".
Very cool! I will use that too!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Critical thinking...What about a Poker demonstration? There are a ton of great Poker demonstrations including ones where you seem to get the best hand, only to be beaten by the spectator.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-03-27 17:41, mikenewman wrote:
Lol. Or frozen peas....
I use to hate peas. But now love them!!!

Remind me to skip the vegtables if I ever have dinner at your house !Lol
James D. Miles
MagisterFreud
View Profile
Regular user
The 18
135 Posts

Profile of MagisterFreud
I once did PATEO in a room full of Mathematics Ph.D. students. I don't know what I was thinking.
GreenEggs
View Profile
New user
Why have I got
65 Posts

Profile of GreenEggs
I frequently perform for scientists and law enforcement officers. I always get an amazing reaction from performing Origami Poker (John Bannon's book: "Dear Mr. Fantasy"). Another is to do a Magic Square. I use Chuck Hickok's Magic Square from his book: "MENTALISM INCORPORATED".

Good luck!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Magic Square may be the perfect effect sambrothers. I would hesitate to do this in front of mathematicians, but for anyone else, it may be point-on. These folks are strategic thinkers...but this effect has still managed to stay under the radar of the general public, and may still be fresh for them. Plus, it can be performed anywhere...you just need something to write with, something to write on, and a brain.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-04-02 19:26, sambrothers wrote:
I frequently perform for scientists and law enforcement officers. I always get an amazing reaction from performing Origami Poker (John Bannon's book: "Dear Mr. Fantasy"). Another is to do a Magic Square. I use Chuck Hickok's Magic Square from his book: "MENTALISM INCORPORATED".

Good luck!

Hi
I'm going to a Policeman's wedding in July. I was wondering what kind of audience they were. Most of the police force will be at this wedding . Do they like being fooled or does it hurt their egos ? I know you have all types but in general do they like Magic ?
James D. Miles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Trick/Effect for 10 *really* smart guys? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL