The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colin Mcleod LIVE: Sunday March 31st, @7:00pm Eastern (Penguin LIVE) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I still didn't have the time to watch...
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Is it 2 hours or nearly four?

MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 21:29, Dr. Eamon wrote:

3 hours and 56 minutes! (This does include the interview at the end.)
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-11 21:29, Dr. Eamon wrote:

236 minutes long.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Thanks Movieman and Zombie Magic, that's great!

MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
I'm watching this again, and just want to reiterate there is so much great teaching and terrific ideas discussed in this lecture, it really is a gold mine of good stuff.

The discussion of Colin's "Penn & Teller-Fool Us" prediction reveal and the potential to use the UCCU (thanks, Patrick for suggesting that!) as a tool to accomplish it is just one example of a gold nugget. Smile
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I watched this again recently and posted my thoughts at my blog.

Powerful stuff
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
I don't wanna expose anything on method regarding Collins book test, but for me the additional of having spectators predicting the thought of word weakens the original effect rather than strengthen it IMHO. Doesn't it kinda put a solution in all of the spectators mind that the word chosen is an obvious choice because everyone was thinking of it? To me, it would be like asking a woman to think of a card and all the women in the audience think of the 'queen of hearts'. Nice effect, and you could ham it up, but the conclusion to a lot of ppl would be that 'sure, everyone thinks of the queen of hearts' or in this case everyone must think of 'house'. ( I won't say anymore on method here, but hopefully I have conveyed enough to ppl who have seen the lecture). I'm not knocking the method or effect, I think it's great, but I will use the original published method from the dvds.
pollysukemaru
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
142 Posts

Profile of pollysukemaru
Does the online lecture include his newspaper test routine which is in his opening mind dvd?
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 21:33, pollysukemaru wrote:
Does the online lecture include his newspaper test routine which is in his opening mind dvd?

No, that routine's not included in his Penguin Live lecture.
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 20:40, baobow wrote:
I don't wanna expose anything on method regarding Collins book test, but for me the additional of having spectators predicting the thought of word weakens the original effect rather than strengthen it IMHO. Doesn't it kinda put a solution in all of the spectators mind that the word chosen is an obvious choice because everyone was thinking of it? To me, it would be like asking a woman to think of a card and all the women in the audience think of the 'queen of hearts'. Nice effect, and you could ham it up, but the conclusion to a lot of ppl would be that 'sure, everyone thinks of the queen of hearts' or in this case everyone must think of 'house'. ( I won't say anymore on method here, but hopefully I have conveyed enough to ppl who have seen the lecture). I'm not knocking the method or effect, I think it's great, but I will use the original published method from the dvds.

Good point baobow but I don't think you need to worry. I think Colin covered that concern quite effectively in the modified handling and dialogue for BT.

The assistant isn't simply asked to, "think of a word", it's a bit more subtle than that.

The assistant is FIRST asked to first "see a few words" in their mind and then, "get a few words locked in [their] mind". From the perspective of the audience at this point in the effect the assistant is NOT thinking of a single word, they are thinking of a 'few words'. What those words are only they know.

Colin puts the 'imaginary book' back on the shelf and then backs away a little putting a bit of distance between himself and the assistant.

He asks the assistant to "switch between the words they are thinking of". This creates the impression that the assistant is making a 'conscious' choice of some sort rather than an 'off the cuff' or 'spur of the moment' choice. Eventually Colin asks the assistant is to settle on 'one word'.

To the watching audience the assistant's 'choice' of word is made some time AFTER the 'imaginary book' business. The assistant has been asked to think of 'a few words' before eventually 'settling' one word. Their final 'choice' happens whilst Colin is nowhere near them.

For those reasons I've never had the sense that the audience think that I'm just playing the odds in someway or thinking, 'well everyone thinks of [whatever]'.

I like BT a lot and if you're a fan of BT I recommend Colin's work on BT in 'Facade'.

For me, I've found that being able to bring the prediction into play BEFORE the assistant actually reveals their thought of word plays stronger than doing it the other way around as it was in the original BT.

With the prediction in play and known to the audience (but not to the assistant) the audience wait with baited breath (as do you) to hear what word the assistant is actually thinking of. You're fully committed to the outcome before the thought of word is even uttered.

First you get the reaction from the audience when they hear the assistant say the word that they see written on your prediction.

Second you get the reaction from the assistant themselves (and the audience's reaction to their reaction) when you show them that your prediction matches the word they were merely thinking of.

Regards,

Laurence.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
It's not stronger, it's different.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Sparda
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Sparda
Do you have to buy a lot of material in order to do the effects in this lecture? One of the reviews on penguin said it would cost $400 to get all the necessary materials...
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
He does one effect trust has an expensive prop but he teaches soooooo much awesome material that doesn't rely on buying something extra. And little things I already had like certain cards but I am sure most magicians would have as well. Definitely one my my favorite penguin lectures I seen so far.

Ryan
Sparda
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Sparda
Thanks! Guess I'll be getting this!
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Does anyone have a list of effects he performs and explains?
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Daren,

It's Colin McLeod so you know you won't be disappointed. I know there is some cross over material, but there's some other brilliant material throughout. The billet s****h and the routine he teaches with it is excellent.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Ok cheers, think I will take the plunge with this, he is incredible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Colin Mcleod LIVE: Sunday March 31st, @7:00pm Eastern (Penguin LIVE) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL