The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Is it safe for me and the doves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi,
I am planning on buying three doves in the very near future I was wondering is it safe to keep them inside in my room? is it safe for the doves will they overheat inside? and also is it safe for me someone said to me that if you keep doves inside you r at risk of getting Pigeon Fanciers Lung which I have heard is some sort of Lung canser is this true?

Many Thanks

Luke Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
DrDale
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DrDale
I had 1 doves living in my 1 bedroom apartment for years, I let them out everyday for most of the day, With the exception of the mess it was fine
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Luke, keeping the doves inside is fine as long as you are willing to put up with the mess and the noise. I raised over 30 birds in my basement and never had any problem with them at all.
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Yeah you should be fine. I've heard that rumor too, but I've never had a problem with it. I currently share a studio apartment with 12 doves and two parakeets. You just have to stay on top of them as far as cleaning their feathers and their "dove dust", as I call it. I did hear a story from Doug Collins that Mitch Williams got something like that from kissing his doves in his act too much or something. So don't be smoochin' them too much...jk.

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Lol are you serious Dan?.. I kiss my doves on the back everytime they do something good.

GREAT! Smile

Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Justin, if you find yourself getting a craving for bird seed and want to flap your arms, I'd stop kissing the birds for awhile. LOL. Sorry, I just had to throw that in.
Where the magic begins
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Actually one can develop health problems from doves. Two years ago this December I was hospitalized for 5 days due to respiratory problems. For two months I noticed a cough and shortness of breath with walking. I just dismissed this as being out of shape and needing to start running again. Anyway it continued until at work (am a RN) I put an oximeter on myself after doing a flight of stairs and found my oxygen saturation was lower than I had even seen on some severe patients near death.
To make this long story shorter. After numerous tests it was determined that I had lung allergic reaction to the dove's dander. I was on steroids for 6 months and actually on home oxygen for couple weeks.
There are a number of people who do have allergic reactions to the dander but most people don't have that much contact with their pet birds. Unless you are magician who has so much more hands on with the birds.
So anyway I got rid of the doves and it took about a year for lungs to return to normal. I really enjoyed my doves and had them for about a year before all the problems. This may not happen to you and most likely not. But if you develop a cough pay attention.
Paul Mazzoni
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Paul Mazzoni
I've had doves for about 2 years now and have had no problem with them health wise. They are a bit noisy but you get used to it. I used to sleep in the same room as they did and I didn't even notice them after a while but if a friend stayed over they would complain that the doves kept them up all night. Also they are a bit messy but other then that they are fine inside.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL Dave that was good.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Glad I have ducks. They play big, are funny and colorful , joyfully live in the backyard , keep the slugs down and even though they quack at the doorfor dinner I feel no urge to kiss them on any part of their bodies.

quack
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
I, too, heard the rumor of the health problems posed by doves and other birds. I set out to find the answer and consulted a professional. Fortunately, our local magic club has a member who is a veterinarian holding a senior position at the Manila Zoo.

When asked the question, he said, yes, it’s possible to catch avian-borne diseases from pet birds. After 24 hours, birds’ droppings can become a rich breeding ground for a certain type of virus that can cause the potentially fatal encephalitis or meningitis.

These health hazards are preventable, though. Just make sure you clean the cages once a day and not allow droppings to accumulate in the cage for more than 24 hours. It’s a good idea also to bathe the doves once a day, making sure that no droppings stick to the claws or feathers.

What all this boils down to is this: If you give your doves a daily cleaning ritual, you can kiss it safely all you want. Just don’t French kiss it, because that might be a little awkward to do.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LMBO.. do birds even have tongues?.. Smile

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Paul Mazzoni
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Paul Mazzoni
LOL, yes they do. At least parrots do. My friend has his parrot put its beak in his mouth and it totally looks like they are french kissing.

By the way is this post about magic or kissing animals lol. Good times.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magicduck,

Ducks work fine for magic. My wife uses geese in her act and it is remembered so well, it makes me want to share the stage with someone else with less appeal. (Actually Lucy is the love of my life. And the act really works.)

PM me with a regular email address and I will send you a photo of her Magic Tea Party with geese. It was a little strange to the supplier when we ordered a custom made Goose to Goat. But it now exists and plays great. It beats live lobsters! I did that for a while for a restaurant chain. Lobsters are better cooked. It makes them more colorful too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I had a friend who also had respritory problems due to his doves but I have no problems keeping them inside. An air purifier is on my "to buy list" though just to be safe and to reduce the dust that they spread.

Smile
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I kissed my birds until I got cherpies. Sorry, had to say that....
Zaubern Smile
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
That's OK Zaubern, it's "tweetable." Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Please don't kiss my birds they are drug and disease free. No STDs (Spectator Transmitted Diseases)!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

(Dr. Lucy is going to talk to me about that remark. Count on it!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Is it safe for me and the doves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL