The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Using my promo pics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Brenion
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of David Brenion
Hi all,

I wanted to bring up a topic that was brought to my attention today. There are some balloon artists who have used my promotional photos of Jumbos on their websites. I know this topic has come up MANY times, and has been argued back and forth for some time. But in this particular case, I feel I need to say something in support of this practice.

First, I want to say that as a general rule, using promotional photos from some one else's web site is simply wrong. We don't need to discuss that topic any further.

However, I have given this some thought, and in the case of Jumbos, I give full permission for people who have purchased the videos to use the photos on their own sites.

The reason is simple. These sculptures are not cheap to make. I could never in good conscience ask you, as a business owner, to go out and buy lots of expensive balloons, make all the designs yourself and take photos for your website before you can even begin to advertise the product to your clients.

I make and sell videos of content that I know is sellable. And I want you to start selling from day one if you can.

I do want to make it clear, however, that this liberty comes with the purchase of my video content. If I find that people are putting the pictures on their websites without first buying the video, then we have a problem.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on this topic.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Well first, it's your right to grant or deny permission for your work, so whatever you decide to do is absolutely the way it should be. That said, since you asked for input, I have to say, I really appreciate your reasonable offer. That makes a lot of sense for this particular set of commercial offerings. I would suggest to a buyer of the videos, that if they do sell a piece and produce it, then they should consider taking quality photos of what they did and use that going forward. The downside of that would be not presenting a consistent image for available work, making some look "live" and some "catalog." Whatever a person would decide to do with it, I think your open permission is a great move. If I handled this type of request more, I would invest, but right now it's not on my agenda. I will be sure to send pictures of me in the buzzlightyear backpack from that DVD when I wear it at Disney Maathon weekend. Your classes at T&S 2011 were my favorites. Hope you're coming to Rochester in 2014.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Thanks David! I will say that due to the cost of creating each sculpture, it is nice to know that you'll allow us to use your awesome shots to advertise them. This is AWESOME! I haven't purchased the download yet b/c we had a minor emergency that sucked my money away that I "was" going to use to get it, but will order here sometime in the next few days! Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
That is very generous of you to share David but even still, I wouldn't feel right advertising your photos. On a side note, my physical Dvd came in the mail today and I am very excited to start making them. It will be my first step into balloon decor!

One question though, how do you transport the sculptures? Do you pre inflate certain parts and just assemble them on site or is there an easier way of doing it?
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
Thanks David, I will be getting the Jumbos download next month as my birthday gift from my boyfriend. And I can't wait to start offering these sculptures. If I use your promo pics I will only do so after my purchase and I thank you for your permission to do so, otherwise I would not.
dew
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dew
David, Thank You for your generous offer. I got your DVD today in the mail. Thank you for such a great package deal David and Continental Sales.
This will be my 1st try into balloon decorating. I was always having to refer someone else. Now I can do it myself thanks to this DVD.
David, again Thank You for your permission to use them and for all the great things you are doing for us little guys. What a great deal...
Toby
David Brenion
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of David Brenion
Perry, transporting them depends on the size of your vehicle. If you can fit one fully built in your truck or van, you're all set. If not (which is the case for me) I build all the features, such as the arms and face, and inflate as many of the 16 inch rounds as I can fit. Then I inflate the rest (including the 3 footer) on site. It's about a 10 minute build on site. It makes for a great opening performance if you build it up like a show. I'll often put on some background music while I build it.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
What else can we possibly ask for?

That goes beyond the call of duty. Thanks for stepping up and offering it to us. I too plan on purchasing the downloads in the future.

Thanks!
Life of Magic!
David Brenion
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of David Brenion
There's a hearty discusion on this topic happening over at balloonchat.co.uk. If you are not already a member of that forum, it is a great community and I suggest you check them out.

I would like to follow up by saying, it is my hope that you will only need to use my photos until you have built up a portfolio of your own. Don't use them as a crutch, but a stepping stool.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
David,

That is fantastic that you are doing that. I have been on the fence about getting your new download as I don't know if I will be able to use it, but I have all your other DVDs and they are fantastic. That being said, I will be getting this download today for the simple fact that I want to support what you do. Your videos and everything you put out is truly topnotch!
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
That's Nifty of you! Love your work and instructional tutorials.
Always the best!
RC
stevegreene
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of stevegreene
Thanks David ! They are some great looking photos and sculptures
Gromitron
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Gromitron
Hi David,

I went to your website to check out the Jumbo's you mentioned, as I hadn't seen them before so I wanted to mention this in case you didn't know: On your profile your website is spelled wrong (but I figured it out) and on the site at http://niftyballoons.com/videos/ when you click any of the links it goes to a dead site. I know it's tricky keeping sites up and working! I've had mine break and it usually takes someone letting me know to fix it. =)

Ed
Gromitron
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Gromitron
Ah, it's all fixed now... Good stuff!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Using my promo pics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL