The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sure Grip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Patrick Thompson
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Patrick Thompson
How well do products like Sure Grip and Sortkwik work for those (like me) whose hands and fingers are a bit stiff when doing multiplying balls, etc.? Any other ideas? Thanks.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello "pt"
Those products are mainly useful to help dry hands. I like Chamberlain's GOLDEN TOUCH HAND LOTION. Everybody's "body chemistry" is different!

I'm 81 and have done a basically sleight of hand show since I was a teenager. Now, I'm retired and have noticed that, because I'm not working every day, my hands and fingers are a bit weaker and stiffer.

E.g.: For most of my life, when I did the 'SPRING' OR CASCADE SHUFFLE, I could get about an 18" spread. Now, I'm lucky if I can get 12".

Squeezing a tennis ball (or similar) can help maintain strength, and any number of manipulative flourishes may help with flexibility. I used to do the coin roll with four coins simultaneously. It's harder now! Ditto the coin star. I can still do Ok with Fakini's golf balls.

I can still handle most of the ball "moves". Are you doing the balls with wooden, plastic, or silicone (Fakini) balls?

How old are you!!!

Hope this helps...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Vernon was said to have used Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion. It is not as commonly available as some other preparations. Some years ago my pal Frank Baxter found a store that handled it and we had them get us a full case. Some magicians have commented that they don't like the smell of Golden Touch.

Today they have a new formulation on the market. It's called "Golden Touch After-Bath Splash."

I do the one-handed top palm which I can only do with confidence if I've used some hand lotion to overcome the dryness of my hands.

Many magicians use Corn Huskers hand lotion which is much more commonly available. You might want to give it a try.

If you do use a hand preparation, allow a few minutes for the lotion to absorb into your skin before starting a performance or practice session. If not, playing cards will become a bit greasy and then attract dirt quickly.

Alas Frank Radtke is no longer with us. I don't know if anyone has started to produce his excellent Golf and Billiard Balls. There is one set of white silicone Billiard balls on the market sold under the name of "Dream Multiplying Billiard Balls." It even comes with an instructional DVD. Alas, the balls are on the smallish size. Most manipulators have found that silicone balls are much better to work with than wood or plastic. They just "cling" to your skin much better.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I did a little research and found that there is a line of silicone billiard balls on the market from J.L. Magic. They come is a big variety of colors. They are called the "Mirage" multiplying balls. You can find them on the Penguin Web Site. There are some reviews there. Interestingly one reviewer didn't like them much at all and another sang their praises.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The Denny and Lee Magic shop still lists a lot of the Fakini items. I don't know if someone else has taken over making them, or if they were made by Frank Radtke before his death. Here's a link to the website:
http://dennymagic.com/

And here's some contact information:
Denny & Lee Magic Studio
Email: dennymagic@aol.com

Now In Two Locations!
BALTIMORE STUDIO
9004 Yellow Brick Road,
Suite H
Rosedale, Maryland 21237
410-686-3914 / 410-686-6953 fax

LAS VEGAS STUDIO
5115 Dean Martin Drive #102
Las Vegas, NV 89118
702-740-3500 / 702-740 3501 fax

I have no association with these shops and just happen to be the "other" Denny in magic.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Patrick Thompson
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Patrick Thompson
Thanks to all for the great info! Regarding multiplying balls, I use the small plastic ones because of their small size which works best for me. I haven't been able to find silicone balls in the small size--does anyone know of a source for such a product?

Thanks again,

Patrick
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
PM Bill Hegbli...he has recently reported on some 'new' balls from the orient.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
PATRICK>>>

CHAMBERLAIN GOLDEN TOUCH LOTION http://www.chamberlainlotion.com

My (current) 8.5 oz bottle was about $5.00 about 4 years ago.

I carry an atomizer bottle (like ladies perfumes often comes in) and a quick spray or two is more than enough.

RE BILL HIGBLI....IT MIGHT BE WILLIAM or WM. HIGBLI

Bill had a long dissertation on balls. sizes, 'shapes', colors, shell matching, ETC. I can't remember which forum it was in!!!!!!!!!!IF I REMEMBER, I'LL POST IT HERE!

I bought one of Frank Radtke's (FAKINI) first sets of TOURNAMENT GOLF BALLS in the early '70s and have never been unhappy.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Mr. Hegbli's PM is turned off for the meantime. Here is a thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=10&26
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ahs!..........TERMINOLOGY!!!.......LANGUAGE 'BARRIER'!

In the U.S., the term is slOt!

Abbott's GLASS visible MD has a much nicer sound when coins are dropped in.

Plus the GLASS 'model' has an extra feature which makes it easier to cop (cop=steal) the first load.

Of course $75.00 is perhaps a bit much to pay for the sound, and the steak feature.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like golden touch also Dick it
works very well.But sometime sortkwik
is all of need for coins and card effects.
Golden touch works well with a tt.
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sure Grip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL