The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best effect to win money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
How would you use scotch and soda to get money?

Unless you borrow a half dollar and switch it.........and keep it
**Zak**
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Might interest you to know that my Mindbogglers series has been re-released on DVD by L&L Publishing. I'm surprised no-one mentioned it, since it contains everything else mentioned, plus a bunch of stuff you've never seen.
Three Card Monte
Endless Chain (fast & loose)
Nim
Pool trickshots and hustles
Jonah Poker
The Circus Card Trick & variations
Rattlebox
Lots of proposition bets
Of all the swindles I've ever learned, the Three Card Monte is still the king. People really think they can win, but you'd better be really good at the hype if you're doing it for real. I prefer a few light proposition bets where the mark doesn't mind getting stung to learn the answer. Also, just about everything mentioned is technically illegal.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
I've also got a lot of milage out of the 3 card monte.

I've mostly done Skinner's version, but now I stick to Doc Easons' version with the "chrimp", gets the same reactions and it's more open and examinable.
(ending in spectators hands).

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Quote:
On 2004-01-25 20:15, oldguy wrote:
What happens in Skinner's ultimate monte if you're playing for money in a bar and someone grabs a card? You better be quick or you might become dead.

Does anyone know what to do? Would there be a way to outsmart the person?

The Three card monte followed by the shell game. The only problem is that a lot of people know the workings of a shell game nowadays, and will tell anyone that will listen.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
D A M N...I sure wish Dan hadn't mentioned MINDBOGGLERS. I was hoping that everyone had forgotten about them...Sorry Dan Smile

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
3 Card Monte
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
OK, I will not claim this trick myself, as I did read it in David Blaine's mysterious stranger book:

Go to a bar preferably with two barmen and one cash registrar and show some people there some magic. Get one of the barmen interested and tell you'll show him a trick.

Take out a £50 note, or any other high amount of money and ask the bar tender to sign it. Fold it up and vanish it, secretly slipping it to a compatriot. The compatriot goes to buy a beer with your £50. You, meanwhile, tell the barman you have made it 'teleport' to his cash registrar, while your compatriot gets his beer and £48 or so change. He hands the bill in signature upside-down and the barman searches through the money and finds the note he had previously signed, tells you its an amazing trick and gives you your £50 note back.

That's earned you £48 or so and a beer. Not bad. Haven't tried it myself yet (still working on the note vanish), but Blainey claims he made a couple $100 out of it!

That was before Blaine-o was big, by the way. When he was just starting out (apparently).

-Nik
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
This scam is so old it has a beard longer than mine. Doesn't make it bad, but doesn't make it Blaine's either. Just means he's got the good sense to pick the winners.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
There's this one trick in Royal Road, the name of which I can't remember. Basically, someone picks a card, you know where it is (key card), you tell them to watch for it as you deal cards, turning them over from the top of the deck. You intentionally pass their card, then after dealing a few more, you say, "I bet you three bucks [or whatever] that the next card I turn over is your card."

They bet you, and then you smile and turn their card (lying on the table) FACE DOWN. Works every time.
Lee Brown
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Lee Brown
Quote:
On 2003-11-25 10:46, bigdunk007 wrote:
What’s the best scam/magic trick to win money?

Work. You would be surprised how effective it is.
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
I am surprised that Dan "Cheez-whiz" Harlan didn't mention Gazzo's "A Gentleman's Game" which appeared in Minotaur V.3 N.3
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Quote:
On 2004-03-03 10:36, James Harrison wrote:
Sorry for being uneducated, but what is nim?

Is it short for something?

I believe that it is originally from China.
A version can be found here

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
"Beat 'em, Cheat 'em and Leave 'em Bleeding" has a bunch of small-time cons and scams in it.

Daytona has it for about $3.

Don't cry to me if you get a good beating or land in jail. I assume no responsibility for the actions of others.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
"A Gentleman's Game" really isn't that great for taking the mark, except perhaps in Gazzo's hands! It is a great routine which plays funny. The "Circus Card Trick" mentioned earlier by prospero is a worker that will get 'em everytime. Plus, I do some variations on it in the Mindbogglers series that you might like.
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
I would NEVER try to use a gaff when trying to win money. That just asking to get beat up.
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
How about the signed wine cork in the signed empty bottle scam. It's the one that the cork is signed and reinserted back into the emptied wine bottle; after all of the bets are placed the scammer leaves the room (for no more than 45 seconds) and returns with the cork removed from the undamaged bottle.

It got me once and I bought the secret!

BWind
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best effect to win money (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL