The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Portico (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EricStevens
View Profile
Regular user
Valley Center, CA
129 Posts

Profile of EricStevens
Here's something new that I wanted to get around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5ErfVSGJU

It's a very fair vanish or production of a coin that uses NO gimmicks, NO sticky stuff, has NO clothing requirements, and the front and back or your hands can be shown before and after.

Note: While the "trailer" the link goes to shows only the end of the production, the above traits still apply. Hope you like it!

-Eric
Reonaru
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
86 Posts

Profile of Reonaru
Nice job pal ... remind me the great Greg Rostami's "Stuck" ... but you description make a aclarattion about the "sticky stuff" .... see ya magic pal
Leonard Rangel

@El.Mentalista

www.LEONARDRANGEL.com
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Are the angles on this "camera" only or maybe for a seated restaurant audience? If they are not looking at you head on will the illusion still work?

From what I can tell this appears to share similarities with a certain move developed by Goshman and looks to not be very practical for anything more than YouTube videos.

I am not criticizing you because it looks good but before praise can be given the usability needs to be determined.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Interesting.
Here's what I see from the video:

1. Magician holds hands in awkward position. Rubs fingertips together to draw attention, expectation is set that the fingertips are where the coin is about to pop out and suddenly appear. No coin is visible, and the unnatural hands' position shows open palms.
2. Magician then brings hands together, turning the right hand into a large mitt to block a large portion of the previously empty space where our eyes were focused.
3. The entire right hand is dragged sideways to reveal a coin deep in the grasp of the left hand's index finger & thumb; which is then dragged to the fingertips.

The basic effect is logical -- I clearly have nothing in my hands and now I have a coin in my hands.
But my knowledgeable magician brain is saying, "If you draw attention to the fingertips with the rubbing, why so much cover with the hands at the key moment of production, and why isn't the coin produced at those fingertips?"

Reminds me of Eric Jones' Imagination Production. I love that, but the hand position feels so unnatural. Only us coin magicians hold our hands like that at any point in a human lifespan. :-P The strength of Eric Jones' Imagination Production is that there is no cover at all during the "look my hands are empty" show all the way through the actual production.

That's just my POV as a magician. I'm sure laymen & laywomen will enjoy it. And that's the important part! Good luck to you sir. =)

--Diavo Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Forgive my English being my second language so it's probably just me but "A visual piece of eye candy" bugs me A LOT. A piece of eye candy is by definition visual and the redundancy in this sentence is inexplicably annoying (to me). Pleonasm did not work in this video.

I like this video a bit more actually: http://youtu.be/R9ZanhIFwPs

But all in all I detest any commercial videos (for just one effect/routine/technique) that begin/stop during the routine/effect/technique. For example I think the Cooler deck switch ad is an honest, good looking commercial video.

As to your vanish/production, I don't like it and I don't see many people in the Café or even the entire coin world would like it. That said it could be a good effect for a lay-audience, so congratulations and keep the creative work up.

Kened
EricStevens
View Profile
Regular user
Valley Center, CA
129 Posts

Profile of EricStevens
I appreciate your comments. A lot of people forget that magic isn't for YOU, it's for the spectator. I'm not trying to fool magicians; just make a routine/sleight that's easy to use and will be entertaining to the viewer. If you don't like it, fine; you don't have to use it. Besides, I'm not much of a coin magician at all; I was merely attempting to come up with something that's easy for ME to use and is simple to perform. The video doesn't show the entire routine (that will be the next vid most likely), and even if this doesn't work out I've got 89 more original ideas to work with. Thanks for taking a look though! Smile

-Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Portico (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL