The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Starting kid magic shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
Silly Billy is way over the top for me

This type of character can get away with a lot of sillyness and clownish actions. Part clown, part magic. Of course without the clown make-up. The costume says it all.

Quote:
still believes that a magician should dress the part, maybe a tux or at least a very nice suit

This has been my character my whole life, and it suited me well. There is a lot of controversy over this "old" type of magic, which I ignore because cartoons and kids shows still present the magician in a top hat and a cape. It does limit what I can do compared to the silly magician character.

There are several routines in Silly Billy's book that I tweaked and works well for me. The coloring book, and his "silk blow tube". Silly Billy gets at least 10 minutes out of these two routines. I get half that, and limit it to the younger age crowd.
Dennis Michael
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
What works for one person will not work for some others. the key is to find what works for you. The Silly Billy style isn't for everyone, and just wouldn't work for many. However, I think whatever style you pick, children do require a lighthearted, casual, fun and not so serious approach.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Sethjm's question was how many routines should he have ready for a kid's show.

You need a variety of funny routines that fit your personality, the more you have the better prepared you will be.

Don't imitate Silly Billy or anyone else. IMHO you should be unique.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jeffini
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
52 Posts

Profile of Jeffini
One thing I have found useful through the years to establish character is experimenting with your costume or dress. A simple change of a hat in the middle of your act can help alter your character quite quicly. When you rehearse, try different hats, coats, or other costume apparel just to see how it might change your approach to the effect. Always remember you are primarily a children's entertainer and need to focus on the kids first and foremost and the effects or tricks second. In a way we are all actors playing various characters in the role of magicians. Acting classes may also provide help in that department.

I also enjoy giving the asistants humorous hats or aprons or coats they can wear when they are assisting me. It helps them get into the act as well.
AKMan
View Profile
New user
Covington, WA
56 Posts

Profile of AKMan
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 04:28, Steven True wrote:
I see a lot of great help here as I am trying to get back into Kids and family shows after a long absences.....

I guess I am still looking for my persona.

Thank you
Steven True

I have had a lot of success with David Ginn's products. He demos a lot on YouTube. As for your persona, if you're having trouble finding one maybe you should just be you. Nothing wrong with that.
~Jon
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-14 18:53, AKMan wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 04:28, Steven True wrote:
I see a lot of great help here as I am trying to get back into Kids and family shows after a long absences.....

I guess I am still looking for my persona.

Thank you
Steven True

That works well.
I have had a lot of success with David Ginn's products. He demos a lot on YouTube. As for your persona, if you're having trouble finding one maybe you should just be you. Nothing wrong with that.
~Jon
Dennis Michael
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
When I hired children's performers of any type for my library, I generally want them to perform for 45 minutes. A little less is fine, but I definitely don't want anything that runs more than 45 minutes, unless it is a multi-animal show (like having the local zoo visit). In my area (Dallas-Fort Worth), most children's entertainers who do library shows design around a 45 minute standard.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-15 23:37, pickin_grinnin wrote:
When I hired children's performers of any type for my library, I generally want them to perform for 45 minutes. A little less is fine, but I definitely don't want anything that runs more than 45 minutes, unless it is a multi-animal show (like having the local zoo visit). In my area (Dallas-Fort Worth), most children's entertainers who do library shows design around a 45 minute standard.

This should apply to schools shows as well.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Starting kid magic shows? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL