The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Children's Librarian looking to spice up storytime (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
I'm Paul, a 30-year-old children's librarian in Oklahoma.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course was my first encounter to magic instruction, if you don't count the Klutz book I picked up around the same time (about 10 years old). I learned a couple self-workers, a couple different shuffles (poorly), then took up other hobbies.

Just a few days ago I picked up my old copy of MWCC, and purchased a copy of Royal Road (thanks to recommendations I've read elsewhere on this forum), to reeducate myself. I've begun by retraining my hands, unlearning those bad shuffling habits and establishing better ones. Really getting those finger positions in place. Starting slow, then working up to speed. My pinkie's flailing about & getting stiff, all at the same time. But it'll get there with practice.

Ultimately I'd like to work towards a more general knowledge of sleight-of-hand, so that I can create my own illusions tailored to some of my favorite picture books. For instance, at the end of Mo Willem's Knuffle Bunny, the father finds a stubbornly missing toy. It would be a hoot to be able to produce a real stuffed animal from behind the book at this moment of the story. That's a long-term goal.

In closing, thanks for all the good advice I've read so far on the forums while lurking.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx--I think~)

My intro to magic (1938) was a performance by the late Stanley Susan, at our school, and "THE MAGIC SH0W BOOK", by Alexander the Magician (about 1941. Alex was "cursed" by the magicians of his day (1930s)for exposing.

The Carnegie Public Library loaned me the book, which I nearly memorized. Stanley, and that book, changed my entire life.

Back in the 1960s, Jay Marshall and I were discussing how we each had gotten started. I mentioned Alexander's book. Jay walked back to his library, and returned in about 5 minutes with a copy! He said, "I have two copies! One is enough!" I still page through it occasionally, and NO, it aint for sale!!!

The old adage: "If you want to hide a secret, put it in a book!" still obtains!

It's good to have a fellow "book-a-phile in our motley crew. Welcome!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, surreptitious itinerant mountebanc

PS: That "German guy" that invented movable type, was named as the most influential person in the last THOUSAND YEARS, on a TV documentary a FEW years ago.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Oooops~ I left out that "German guy's name"!!! --Johann GUTENBERG!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Paulsharke,

I applaud your work with the Library (and Children).

Some of my happiest memories are of summer trips to the Library (before the days of 'Children's' Librarians).

-Mary Mowder
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Welcome to the Café

sparky Smile
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Paul,
Let me welcome you to our beautiful Café. As you have noticed it is one of a kind;unique.Absolutely the best the best place about magic ever.You will find this as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has over 54.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
We are glad that you have joined us.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Children's Librarian looking to spice up storytime (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL