The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Art of Switching Decks by Roberto Giobbi (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl

Whether you’re ringing in a full deck stack or a gimmicked deck, having numerous methods available to get them into (and out of) play is essential. Roberto Giobbi’s book is a delightful read that will have you wanting to come up with more effects that require a deck switch just so you can start using some of them!

One point I neglected to make in the video review is that the switches he covers in the book aren’t just subtle variations on a theme which was my fear when I bought it. Rather, there are radically different methods employed, all of which are fully motivated and natural. Of course, there is similarity in some of the methods but most of the switches he discusses are more dissimilar than not.

The review itself is not as long as it appears. I start off with an unrelated trick just to have something to do for this installment. Hopefully, if you were unaware of this book or were on the fence about buying it you may find the full review helpful in reaching a decision.

Peo Olsson provided a very nice review last month. You can read it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=110&9

And here's my video review:
http://www.magicbookreport.com/2013/05/t......g-decks/
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
Peo provided no review, just an announcement. I won't comment on your review other than to say that you should stick with the instrument that your fingers are attuned to.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-05-10 02:16, BrandonWilliams wrote:
Peo provided no review, just an announcement. I won't comment on your review other than to say that you should stick with the instrument that your fingers are attuned to.

Brandon,

Often times one doesn't have to say anything to say a lot and I disagree with what you have "said." Your comment about the review seems rather unfounded to me. The review provided a nice analysis of the content of the book, its possible strengths and challenges, etc. Perhaps you do not like the book being reviewed - I have not purchasd it yet so I have no idea whether I will like it - but, Steven has covered all of the bases in his review and as such your critique of the review strikes me as curious and, again, unfounded to say the least.

Namaste,
Vlad
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I got my copy today Brandon and will leave a Review as soon as possible.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I read Peo's writeup shortly after he posted it and had mis-remembered that it was in fact the Hermetic press blurb rather than Peo's own thoughts. It was not a deliberate attempt to mislead and I apologize for any confusion caused.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-05-10 14:55, Steven Keyl wrote:
I read Peo's writeup shortly after he posted it and had mis-remembered that it was in fact the Hermetic press blurb rather than Peo's own thoughts. It was not a deliberate attempt to mislead and I apologize for any confusion caused.

Steven,

Why are you apologizing? You offered a review and it was well done. As for others such as our great Peo writing reviews, well, the more the merrier!

Namaste,
Vlad
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
FYI I wrote the add in mars the 8th and the book itself was ready by the end of April.
Steven made an superior Review (as usual).
Could not have done it better.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
At last, now I have this book plus a dvd - great experience.
So many great deck switches in this book. Lot of useful info, sure.

I recommend this quality book very much! I give it 10 out of 10.

Did you know? Giobbi have an online shop for your service, check it out here:

http://www.robertogiobbi.com/
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
And the book exists in French too Smile
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
If you doubt about the quality of the book, there is a video sequence on the DVD on which Giobbi does a routine with a deck switch, that was what I was thinking because of the theme of the DVD and I had spotted one, but there was not one, but 8 deck switches !!!!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Are there good methods for switching out packet tricks?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, John Long wrote:
Are there good methods for switching out packet tricks?

John

I have the book. For many of the switches, the number of cards isn't all that relevant. For some, based on angles, etc., full decks might be easier. Really, I can't imagine someone getting this book and not being able to switch packets with many of the same moves.

What's the thought process for wanting to switch packet tricks exactly, my only guess is so you end clean? Your motivation might impact how/when you would do a packet switch.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks.

Why Packet Tricks?: Nothing to significant, but at the moment I don't do many card tricks, so I would like to get extra mileage for the cost of the book, and help justify a purchase for what sounds like an interesting book.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Hi John,

Hopefully my question didn't come off the wrong way. It was more trying to understand motivation as that plays a lot in which switches are more fitting. It is a big investment for a very specific book.

I am currently in a phase where I do multiple deck switches. Last week, during "Magic Friday" at work, I did a couple of Ben Blau effects followed by "The One Short Way To Play Fair" (from Ken Dyne's Bairn, p. 153). I followed it up with some of John Bannon's work from Dear Mr. Fantasy.

Ben's effects started with a small stack then from a shuffled deck. Ken's effect required a deck switch. Then the Bannon effects required another deck switch. It worked out really well. There is a burgeoning magician here at work and he was CRUSHED by the effect from Bairn. Don't get me wrong, he was really into the Ben Blau and Bannon effects but the person I was doing the Bairn effect with tried to trip me up by choosing the number 1 (even though he was steered away). If you are familiar with the effect, it didn't matter. The participant was crushed too (as expected) but the magician co-worker literally ran into the lab to tell other people about it (not even 1% exaggeration).

So that is where I am coming from with this book.
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
This is an excellent and very informative book. Even if you are not in need of a switch right now it is a well invested addition for your library.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
The book is well worth the price. He very clearly explains the handling and the "reason" for each switch but also gives good explanations on the misdirection needed to make them convincing.
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks for the information on this book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Art of Switching Decks by Roberto Giobbi (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL