The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2013 entrée: Kevin Ridgeway & Kristen Johnson (aka Living Illusions) » » The Water Torture Cell » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I think either one of you could chime in on this, but I'm thinking Kristen will have much to say as it were. Smile

So, someone into escapes decides they want to try and tackle the dreaded WATER TORTURE CELL...where to begin?

• Do you purchase a ready made model or design one yourself?
  • What are the costs involved?
  • How do you store something like this and what are the problems associated with transportation?
  • What are some of the real dangers of this escape?
  • How do you train for this type of thing? It's not like you can read Water Torture Escapes 101.
  • Can anyone really learn to do this or realistically only the worthy?
  • What about insurance for prop and performer?
  • Finally, do audiences still react the way they did in Houdini's era?

Thanks guys! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Great questions Steve. I'll answer some and let Kristen chime in on others.

Do you purchase a ready made model or design one yourself?
When we first started down this road, we rented a water cell from Mark Cannon for 6 months. After that we worked on having our own made in the typical phone booth style shape & size. Then we decided to try and put our own signature on it. Since Kristen doesn't do it with a cover, we didn't want a water cell that had any frames or even a fron & back. That's how we came up with the idea for a cylindrical shaped water cell.

What are the costs involved?
They are not cheap. There are only 1 or 2 guys that build water cells. Richard Sherry is one and his work is incredible. From our experience and knowing what others have spent, one would be well into 5 figures.

How do you store something like this and what are the problems associated with transportation?
Our water cell has a very unique case built for it. First off it's an X-Frame case versus a standard ATA case. Second, the water cell and case were designed to travel & store in the upright position or on their sides. Thris, inside the case is a platfom that rides on 4 shock absorbers. So the water cell literall floats inside the case. This is very important to protect it while in transit.

What about insurance for prop and performer?
We have Inland Marine insurance for all our equipemt. We have health, liability & life insurance on Kristen. However, if God decides that Kristen is going away via the water cell, I'm not so sure the insurance company would pay out to me. As soon as they asked who handcuffed her, and locked her underwater...pretty sure, I'm not only not collecting insurance, but some detectives might be waiting outside. Smile

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Kristen Johnson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN
9 Posts

Profile of Kristen Johnson

What are some of the real dangers of this escape? 

The biggest danger with any water escape is drowning. If you have handcuffs or chains on it is still possible to survive the stunt but not so much if you get out of all the restraints yet fail to get air. I experienced what's called a hypoxic seizure twice while in the tank. Hypoxia is when the brain determines that you do not have enough oxygen.  It shuts down all unnecessary funtions and the lights go out. It is imperative that you get above water before the seizure ends or you will surely drown.  

How do you train for this type of thing? 

When training for the water cell, I broke the components of the escape down to work on them independently.  Working with the locks and cuffs dry then underwater in a pool where I could easily stand up if I ran out of breath.  I trained in the tank without locking the lid, then ultimately locking the lid.  For my breathhold, I trained for over a year focusing on endurance training in an effort to increase my time underwater.  It wasn't until I started working with a dive master that my breath holding improved.  My best static was 5:02.

It's not like you can read Water Torture Escapes 101. 
Can anyone really learn to do this or realistically only the worthy? 

I believe a person is capable of learning anything if they set their heart & mind to it.  I am not a natural athlete.  I just decided the water cell escape was something I wanted to do and set about making it happen. 

Kristen
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Great answers guys! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2013 entrée: Kevin Ridgeway & Kristen Johnson (aka Living Illusions) » » The Water Torture Cell » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL