The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » My new effect. Opinions appreciated (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hey guys,

I have had an idea circulating in my head for a long time now, and want to know if this has marketing potential.

Effect:
The magician selects a truly random volunteer, and asks her to name any card. You remove a deck of cards from your pocket, and fan through to find her chosen card, which she signs wih a sharpie. The card is replaced into the middle of the deck & the deck is placed into a large paper bag. The bag is shaken up to scatter the cards around the bag. You make a joke about it being your favorite way to truly shuffle the cards.
The spec holds the bag open with her hands above eye level, you show your hands empty, reach your hand in and pull out the signed card.

This effect is gimmicked, however can be quite easily made (with some patience) by anyone using items found at home or the local store.

If I marketed this, is it better to sell the gimmick, or make an ebook explaining method & construction?
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Incognito
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Incognito
The idea is good but unfortunately there are similar effects already out that have more dramatic reveals and kickers.

Google and watch the trailer for "Stabbed and Shot" by Bill Abbott for an example of what I'm talking about.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks for that, I didn't know about it. Don't you hate when this happens!
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I've given this some more thought, and there is a far different approach to this, which hopefully interests more people. This complete presentation has very different test conditions to similar effects, and want to know your thoughts.

- While Stabbed & shot is a great commercial effect for some, perhaps other magicians may not like the idea of using a knife & producing a shot glass from the bag. It may not fit their persona or style. This approach can adapt to a mentalism or magic, serious or comedy.

-The signed card is genuinely and clearly placed into the centre of the deck, squared up and the spec can throw them inside the bag & shake it up.

- the spectator holds the bag high enough out of view.

- The performers hand/s are shown clearly empty, and no sleeves necessary. One empty hand reaches into the bag, pulls out a single card. The signed card.

- no modification of the card at all (bends or crimps).

- a very subtle gimmick makes this quick and simple to locate.

If this works well on stage and it is unique enough, I'd consider marketing it.

Thanks guys
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » My new effect. Opinions appreciated (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL