The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Is gmail.com Blocked? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

markiwade
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of markiwade
I tried to update my email address from markiwade@verizon.net (no longer active) to my longstanding address of mark.i.wade@gmail.com, but the profile update feature gave me the following message: "Sorry, the email host address you entered is currently blocked." What am I doing wrong. This is my only email account and I would prefer not to change it. Help!

Mark

Mark Wade
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
All free servers such as gmail, hotmail and yahoo are blocked and cannot be used.
Where the magic begins
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Can we get these unblocked? Many of us use gmail, hotmail, and yahoo.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you're already a member, it doesn't matter what email service you use. The block of only for new registrations and there are multiple reasons for it.
Where the magic begins
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I have a gmail account that I have been using for several years now, however, I registered with a hotmail account. I no longer use the hotmail account but I cannot update my profile to reflect my gmail account.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Again, there is no reason to worry about this. Once you are a member, the only Café reason for having an email address is in case you forget your password. A new one would be sent to whatever address we have on file.
Where the magic begins
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I know this was frustrating for me back when I first joined the Café. I use Fastmail and it is definitely not a free service! I pay $163+ annually for my email account yet it was not accepted here.

I understand that Fastmail once had free addresses but has not had them for a number of years now. The Café tech gurus might want to review their listing of what they think are free email services and update it.

Just a thought...

Thank you.

Jim
sprouts1115
View Profile
New user
san antonio, Texas
7 Posts

Profile of sprouts1115
It might be the free email accounts have to many [Bots] that lurk around sucking up info. This is only a guess.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Seems to me that it's just a way to cut back on the number of anonymous trolls who join, cause problems, get banned and then immediately join again from a new (free) email address.
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Mastermindreader: Bingo! That's the exact reason. Everybody suffers because of the actions of a few. Pretty sad.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
BTW - you're not quite correct about it only affecting new registrations. I just tried to change mine (I now use Gmail primarily) and it prevents long-time members from changing to those as well.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 17:20, DaddyDoodle wrote:
BTW - you're not quite correct about it only affecting new registrations. I just tried to change mine (I now use Gmail primarily) and it prevents long-time members from changing to those as well.

Read the entire topic and you'll understand what was meant. It does only have an affect on new registrations by new potential members as they cannot use a free server. It has no effect on those that are already registered because once registered, the email address doesn't matter.
Where the magic begins
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Dave, I think it does. If someone registered with an email address that no longer exists, that user will no longer receive topic reply notifications, new PM notifications, and other notifications in addition to not being able to request a password change if they lose it for whatever reason.

I have in the past changed email addresses for long-standing (minimum six months with at least valid 50 posts) members. If any member who has been registered a minimum of 6 months and has at least 50 valid posts wishes to have their email address changed please send me a direct PM about it. Do NOT post on the open forums. I will look over your account and go from there.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yes, that's correct and I did mention the need for a valid address when requesting a lost password. My main comments were made in response to Curtgunz who had an invalid free server for years without a problem and wants to change to a new free server address. Members have PM'd me directly in the past to change an email address which we've done.

I did forget about the auto notification functions
Where the magic begins
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Yeah, it's all good. I've already had one email change request so far.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Is gmail.com Blocked? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL