The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Effect to illustrate the gift of sex in marriage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Hey all!

I have a Café friend who is looking to add an effect to his presentation that illustrates the gift of sex belong in marriage alone. His time on the computer is very limited, so I told him I would post this for him.

Any ideas or resources would be most appreciated!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Is this a stage presentation? What age range is the audience? For close up here's a couple of quick ideas:

The Right and Wrong cards might be useable for this idea. You could even force the K <3 as the "right" card and patter about God approving only of sex in marriage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmvHQ667xCY

Maybe something using the Gemini Twins principal with a king and queen and patter on the how the word says in Matthew 19: 4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’[b]? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” And go further into the gift of sex in this union.

Maybe some vanishes of things that represent the wrong way, leading to sin and death and a final production of flowers or something colorful pattering that only God's way of enjoying sex in marriage is the way to experience His best and His peace and blessed life.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Nice ideas, Preston! Not sure if he is doing stage or close-up. Hopefully, he will check in here and let us know.

In the meantime, let's keep the ideas flowing!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
There is a card effect where you can have two cards chosen and then seemingly "bonding the cards face to face by swapping out for a double backer using Your favorite method. I would modify this effect having a King and Queen selected and then proceed to "bond" them in marriage BACK TO BACK so that you end up with a single card with the king face and queen face on each side of the card...THE TWO HAVE BECOME ONE FLESH! And from there you can springboard into how sexual intimacy makes each person "one flesh" with the other (using scripture verse references including all verses where it is asked why we would choose to bond with a prostitute or in fornication). Showing that sex is ordained by God as a picture of the intimacy experienced between Christ and the Church. Just a thought. Could be done with jumbo cards for stage. To make the effect more "magical" you could give two audience members a choice of any one of the four kings and another any one of the queens; then make THOSE selected cards bond into one double face card. Just a thought.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOVE IT, Stephon!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I didn't know if you wanted to use cards or something else. But maybe you could use the colored changing plumes prop that is used for Jesus and the 2 thieves. But instead of using 3 plumes just use 2, with the 2 becoming 1 idea.

I'm sure there are rope effects that start out using 2 ropes and changing in 1.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Tbaer: good ideas!

I believe the "two ropes into one" could probably be achieved with Richard Sanders' Fiber Optics effect. You could also do it with m****ts or the scr** type gimmick.

Like the idea with the plumes, as well.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Integrity, non-hypocrisy and real (not fake) unity is needed in any marriage. The spouse and kids always know the true hubby.

John Lennon's son said in an interview with Elizabeth Grice of the London Daily Telegraph on May 23, 1998 http.www.telegraph.uk.com "My dad was a hypocrite. Dad could talk about peace and love out loud to the world. He could sing about it, but he could never show it to the people who supposedly meant the most to him, his wife and his son. How can you talk about peace and love and have a family in bits and pieces, no communication, adultery, divorce? You can't do it; not if you're being true and honest with yourself."

Very convicting quote, one of many points in the new book "Authentic" by James MacDonald. I don't want the above said about me by my adult kids. If talented Beatle John was thinking about resolving these earlier issues, and he very well might have, he sadly waited too long. A quote like that might be appropriate in the "serious" part of any magic program.

So if you are married, and have unresolved issues, better to address them now with the help of God's Word and His Spirit. Even after 35 years of marriage, my wife and I just started going through the "The 5 Love Languages" by Dr. Gary Chapman published by Northfield Publishing and has been available at just about any bookstore on the planet for decades. http://www.fivelovelanguages.com I heard Dr. Chapman give a talk at Moody Founder's Week many years ago in Chicago, excellent speaker and writer. So if I were asked to address the issue, I might refer the audience to that book (while showing my earmarked copy).

As for using "Gospel magic" to illustrate the "gift of sex in marriage alone"- I cannot imagine that particular serious and sobering truth being addressed by a Gospel "magician" in any church setting or otherwise. It could be turn out to be cringe city. Would be like a Christian concert violinist talking about tithing or church discipline. Just does not seem to go together. Some issues (in my view) are better left to pastors, Bible instructors, counselors and parents. The best way to approach such a sensitive issue (in my view), if you absolutely have to, would be to perhaps make available information that may have personally benefited the performer along the way- such as a good Christian book that clearly talks about Christian marriage.

In every Gospel magic performance I have ever done for years now, I always emphasize the importance of the Bible, it's saving content, and how it covers all areas of life including marriage. I heard a magician once make the "Adam and Eve- not Adam and Steve" comment during a show (and I cannot even remember the context), that line just brought about a cheap laugh and did not even begin to address God's good gifts in marriage.

Just my two cents worth, I understand some of you may disagree, that's ok too. But I don't think I'd want my kids (or them as unsuspecting adults now either) watching a Gospel magic show to hear the "magician" address anything to do with proper "sex". That magician should not expect an invite back. One well meaning magician years ago told me how he used "Gospel magic" in discussing end times theology- and he could not understand why churches did not seem to ask him in to perform (including the church I am a member of). It just doesn't "fit" well for what we generally do and the props we make use of (silks, painted boxes, cards, etc.).

Good thoughts everyone, so glad we are receivers of the "gift that never fades away."
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
MagicBus:

You and I agree wholeheartedly on this issue. I have stated many times on this forum that my own belief is that a Gospel Magician's ministry is to ENTERTAIN...using clean, family friendly magic...some of which can illustrate some points. I have seen video of LOTS of "gospel magicians". Most of them are so incredibly boring that they--in my opinion--would be a turn-off from the Gospel message.

In my opinion, it is far better to illustrate some points in a way that is very entertaining (which actually encourages the mind to retain the message), and allow the pastor and Sunday School/Catechism teachers do THEIR jobs and TEACH.

I only began this posting as a favor to a fellow Café member who is a Christian magician. He has limited access to computers (he has to go to the library to get online). He is also currently dealing with some health issues.

He had asked me my thoughts on this issue, and I told him I would start this thread to get a discussion going.

I appreciate all that folks have contributed thus far.

Please pray for my friend, as well, that his cancer screening would have good results.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Multiplying sponge rabbits? Smile

Quote:
On 2013-06-04 13:29, Stephon Johnson wrote:
There is a card effect where you can have two cards chosen and then seemingly "bonding the cards face to face by swapping out for a double backer using Your favorite method. I would modify this effect having a King and Queen selected and then proceed to "bond" them in marriage BACK TO BACK so that you end up with a single card with the king face and queen face on each side of the card...THE TWO HAVE BECOME ONE FLESH! And from there you can springboard into how sexual intimacy makes each person "one flesh" with the other (using scripture verse references including all verses where it is asked why we would choose to bond with a prostitute or in fornication). Showing that sex is ordained by God as a picture of the intimacy experienced between Christ and the Church. Just a thought. Could be done with jumbo cards for stage. To make the effect more "magical" you could give two audience members a choice of any one of the four kings and another any one of the queens; then make THOSE selected cards bond into one double face card. Just a thought.

I have worked on and off with such an effect using the Hopping Half set (Liz & Jack). Yet my patter was more about the on and off again nature of dating (coins taken aware correspond to temporary break-ups), but culminating with them getting married, but only one coin is left, where is Jack? Then flip the coin over to show the C/S coin, as an indication that they have become one flesh.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOVE it, John...and like the humor, too! Smile
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Ambitious Card followed by Airtight. Well, that'd be sex before marriage.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
As long as the jokes are flying...sex after marriage=The Miser's Dream

...but I digress.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
I'm the ONE - did I start a conversation?? Answers(please excuse spelling) --all my gospel programs are pG16-Adult -Style?? CLUB - I'm just concerened about the govt. promoting imorality - approving Abortion - Gay Marriage - approving Birth Control Pill for 12 year old Girls- etc . don't mean to be prideful - Wife and I dated for over 3 years - we both were Virgin when we Married - celebrate our 57th Anniversary this Month(June) and still TRUE to each other. IT CAN BE DONE> Not judging-I beleive in the LORDS forgiveness - just remember John 8:11 - Now - I have effects- basicly need verse suggestions on Gods Gift to Married Couples & other moral Vs's(see Thess.4:3-5 paraphrased in "the living Bible". 60 years ago USA was # 1 in Morality - now were in the SEWER- - The Lord may want me to delay this part of my programs because My Prostrate Cancer results were 2 0f 12 biop. had cancer - Thank You LORD the MRI and Bone Scan showed all "C" is contained in the Prostate. July 9 (?) going in for Cryotherpy Surgery - by a Urologist I have confidence in - he has always told me most everything - step-by-step. My other problem is - I also see a Cardiologist who's so Vague and hard to reach - my conceleration (along with the LORD) is Dr's exams and tests are 3 - 5 weeks apart ,stress tests - Heart sonogram - -plus now wearing a Heart Monitor until June 25th then see him for results(?) July 5th. I'm at PEACE with the Urology - though I feel GREAT I'm on a teeterr-tooter on Heart matters - from apprehension to - peace then app - etc. don't mean to burden anyone - but it helps to unload and prayers are appreciated - - its funny all Heart symptons are same as my MILD asthma attacks - but guess DRs are just checking. - Again I'm at peace- thank you all- and thanks to MIKE Ralph(russo)Rousseau
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
You are very welcome, Ralph...and you are in my prayers for positive outcomes!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Its GREAT to Have Christian FRIENDS - will keep you posted-. (:->) Ralph.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Love and Prayers toward a brother in Christ Ralph.

Our youth pastor is a great example to our church's youth.

He and his bride took the purity vow seriously.

We saw them kiss for the first time on the day of their marriage.

Abstinence outside marriage...priceless
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Effect to illustrate the gift of sex in marriage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL