The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Perfect shuffle (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2013-10-18 20:27, silverking wrote:
What purpose does this shuffle serve in a gambling scenario?

I can't think of one.

But, you know, I haven't done the math.

Take the following scenario. Maybe there's a big pot, and someone insists on a new deck while you are the dealer. The pack gets opened, you pull out the jokers and stuff, and do three perfect shuffles, then crimp for your partner to cut. Say you're playing Omaha with, say, seven people of mixed gender and race, one of whom works at a supermarket. If you can do perfect seconds and bottoms (and since you have a perfect knowledge of the cards because you can do a perfect shuffle)...well...the possibilities are ENDLESS.
Ross Tayler
View Profile
Regular user
Rugby, England
127 Posts

Profile of Ross Tayler
My pleasure Martin.

Cag, I've met Joe a few times, and he can hit it pretty consistently. Rarely, 26/26 - mainly because of the difficulty in splitting the deck thus in a casual manner. But as with most faro work that's not normally important. However he hits it consistently enough that he uses it in live performance when doing stacking demos - normally with a crimp.

In fact he has a very interesting routine which he's publishing in a new magazine soon. AMcD has seen the draft. Without this shuffle it'd be impossible to do consistently, but when using it one can do a very swift and casual stack.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On 2013-10-23 12:03, Ross Tayler wrote:

Cag, I've met Joe a few times, and he can hit it pretty consistently. Rarely, 26/26 - mainly because of the difficulty in splitting the deck thus in a casual manner. But as with most faro work that's not normally important. However he hits it consistently enough that he uses it in live performance when doing stacking demos - normally with a crimp.

In fact he has a very interesting routine which he's publishing in a new magazine soon. AMcD has seen the draft. Without this shuffle it'd be impossible to do consistently, but when using it one can do a very swift and casual stack.

I’m sure for demo purposes it has merit and Barry is quite skillful in this limited regard. In fact, MacDougall gives examples of stacking using the perfect shuffle in Card Mastery, one example for stacking four aces for a five handed game and the other for stacking a Royal Flush for a ten handed game of poker.

There can be many variations thereof using the in-the-hands shuffle as well as against the table. I personally experimented with quite a few variations using partial perfect shuffles in combination with regular stacking as well as using partial modified butt and table butts with regular stacking.

Using two or three full deck perfect shuffles would be good for demos and can be done quickly but very impractical for game application. There is so very much more one can do with a “regular” riffle shuffle format than with perfect shuffles. I am not going to go into all the many variations I experimented with and the ones I devised, using a regular shuffle with partials but suffice to say just dropping some desired cards on top and working from there in a game is really quite old-hat nowadays in faster company, completely unnecessary and not the best way to do stacking, but magic demos are a different animal. In fact, the demo aspect of “card-sharp” manipulation is almost a different world of accomplishment.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
An updated perfect faro-list made as an PDF file, free to download and share:

http://www.matskjellstrom.se/shop/faroma......2014.pdf (Right click link and Save...or click and read in your browser)

You can transfer the pdf to your smartphone or tablet...

Have fun.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Thanks.

A few words, if you allow me.

The layout is not very sexy, it's even a bit confusing, IMHO. It's not difficult to have decent layouts with the word processors we have nowadays. Presenting a list is cool, but, well...

Besides, you could mention that parts of this list comes from posts on the Magic Café, you didn't do that list alone.

Never forget to credit people helping you.
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
Martin A Nash could do tabled faros very well.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Martin Nash could do everything very well.
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
I agree with that.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Perfect shuffle (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL