The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daff Reviews "Mona Lisa's Secret" by Card Shark (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Now here's a sweet little routine that I believe is worth your consideration. 

The ad copy reads:

You show your spectators several masterpieces of art printed on playing cards. One of the paintings is the famous Mona Lisa. After showing all four paintings, you point out, that one of the paintings is a forgery. When you show Mona Lisa a second time, she is suddenly holding a Bicycle® playing card in her hand. Turning the card around, the spectators are surprised to see Mona Lisa painted from behind. She has to be the fake! But that is not all, imagine the shock when Mona Lisa reveals she is holding the same card a spectator has previously chosen! 

First off, I just want to say that this is a wonderful packet effect that once you have it, you'll not be able to  resist performing it everywhere. Why you ask? And I answer "Because it's classy!" Effects with the Mona Lisa are always in vogue. The lady never loses her appeal.  

There's just something about the ever mysterious Mona  that always pleases the eye (scientists with far greater cerebral prowess than humble yours truly, here,  have analyzed her appeal with spectrometers and other such sophisticated and sensitive instruments).  But if you order THIS Mona, you will be able to keep her ever close to your heart via your breast pocket, and you will  receive not only the necessary cards to perform the effect, but Card Shark has provided extra cards so that you can repeat the effect with two  different card revelations.  Now I thought that was very thoughtful of them.

The cards themselves are a joy to handle because of the textured, linen like finish. These are truly of a nice quality. It's obvious they took some pride in the production of the effect. 

As to the difficulty level, this is as simple as it gets. Even a novice could pick up on this. It requires nothing more than a d.l. and one other simple "move". Nothing to it. Not a self worker, but pretty darn close.

The effect is mostly presentation. And of course, a lot of eye candy.. (The eye candy being in the form of the beautiful reproductions of the famous paintings.) 

The paintings are as follows: "Son Of Man" by Rene Magritte, "God" by Michelangelo, (a small section of the overall painting that graces the Sistine Chapel), a child's painting of a lion, (painted by a ten year old Lina Reiners) and of course, you get Da Vinci's lady with the ever mystic smile, Mona.

The instruction booklet (there is no DVD) gives you background information on the paintings, thus enabling you to beef up your presentation with interesting facts, if you wish.

The revelations (Mona from a back view, Mona holding a playing card with it's back showing, and finally Mona holding the card turned around correctly, are visually arresting. I honestly don't think your spectators will forget this long after you've shown them the effect. Effects of this nature have a way of burning themselves into the brain.

The instructions are in the form of a small booklet and are only five pages, but they are illustrated with diagrams of how to preset the cards, and the five pages are sufficient to teach you how to do the effect along with the historical information which I already mentioned. 

In closing, I have to admit, I'm a sucker for effects which involve Mona. I know of several and own quite a few. "Pick Pocket Mona" has also been my favorite, (and is well worth you're checking out. I believe I've previously reviewed that here on the Café.) But I personally like this one because of the simplicity of handling. It's no muss, no fuss, no trouble.  And as I said, it's drop dead easy to perform.

I don't think you'll go wrong by purchasing "Mona Lisa's Secret". 

This one has the Daff stamp of approval.

This is available at Penguin Magic for $21.00 and I'm sure Google will give you other dealers, but the Penguin price is a bargain.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Enjoy!

Daff
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
philippos1979
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of philippos1979
Presentationally this is one of the most interesting effects I have come across. It is 99 per cent more interesting than most similar card effects just because of the artistic dimension and fascinating story which can also be tied to a Da Vinci code type of theme.
-Magic? No,sleight of hand.
-The fact I MAY move my hand;your ability to reason;the motion of the universe; these are magical. Your logical inquiry into the possibility of something extraordinary is itself extraodrinary and that i define as magic...
Jason Purdy
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Jason Purdy
Is this Keith Merrill's "Masterpiece Forgery" copyright 1998 form Underground Custom Magic?
Armando Cheung
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Armando Cheung
Quote:
On May 13, 2020, Jason Purdy wrote:
Is this Keith Merrill's "Masterpiece Forgery" copyright 1998 form Underground Custom Magic?

Card shark get the permission from inventor and improve the quality of card and fix the illogical process in the routine.
This information is from the instruction of Mona Lisa’s secret
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daff Reviews "Mona Lisa's Secret" by Card Shark (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL