The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do you put on games for kids parties? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I am offering games in my packages. Pass the parcel, limbo, wrap the mummy in toilet paper - these are a few party games I have so far. What games work for you?
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
I play a couple quick games, one called, 'great zucchini, what time is it".
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Ask some UK kid performers they do games at most kid shows. I know party time with Dave has some game ideas
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Games are an important part of a two hour English kids birthday party. You could check with Jolly Roger if he were here to help you, but he is not, so you must ask a less experienced English magician for help.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Non-Elimination games are key.
You can prettywell convert ANY of the classic games into a non-elimination game.

Another key element is ACTION.
Again get the kids moving.

Learn some simple dance steps and get the kids to follow your disco movements ... obviously make it funny.

I used to end the game by asking the kids to stand on one leg and touch their nose, BUT the arm must be positioned under their knee. Of course every one falls over. With lots of practice it's possible - just! Great fun and all the kids laugh.

I would never do a game show without my 24ft play chute. But that's another subject.

I'm NOT advertising my book here, but there is a whole chapter in there about these sorts of things.
Click on http://johnbreeds.com/pdfs/games.pdf to get a sneek preview.

John
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I do parachute games when I have the time, and if there is enough space and the weather is OK. The kids love it and it makes for great photos.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I do this little game with lots of chasing, noise and mayhem called "orcas & squids" It involves the kids trying to catch any of 12 rocket-balloons which are simultaneously released.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A good game DVD is "Games Ability" – Jimbo
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Fool, that sounds awesome. They love those rocket balloons. I use them as well, but how do you release 12 at a time.
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
I take 40 spinning plate and stick sets and 40. 10 foot ribbons on sticks. This fills a nice 10-15 minute section of my games session.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Spinning plates are like a baby sitter. You just sit in the middle of the kids and re spin their plates for them, and off they go.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Quote:
On 2013-06-13 17:02, Julie Carpenter wrote:
I take 40 spinning plate and stick sets and 40. 10 foot ribbons on sticks. This fills a nice 10-15 minute section of my games session.

Julie
I think you should emphasize that this game is for the older kids with several adults helping to supervise. The thought of 40 tots thrusting pointed sticks up and down boggles the mind and the eye!

I know you have an excellent reputation and have probably not had an accident with eyesballs on sticks so far.
Nevertheless, I believe you're leaving yourself open for criticism by all the do-gooders in the UK.

John
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Quote:
On 2013-06-13 00:12, Dynamike wrote:
A good game DVD is "Games Ability" – Jimbo

Sorry I would beg to differ on this one. The games on this DVD are not suitable for house parties. I highly recommend John Breeds book. Much more suitable for the types of parties we are talking about here.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 10:42, Al Angello wrote:
Games are an important part of a two hour English kids birthday party. You could check with Jolly Roger if he were here to help you, but he is not, so you must ask a less experienced English magician for help.

Al, why don't you send him over to the http://www.magicbistro.com to get to the Jolly Roger? We know he's there. Certainly an inferior website to the Magic Café, but at least tell the truth brother.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Just the mention of JR seems to have him appearing out of the woodwork from no where. Maybe Bob missed the recent push to have the Jolly one brought back to the venerable Café?

As I mentioned above, John Breeds book is very very good and covers the whole range of kids entertaining. I"ve got it and it's my most read book on entertaining.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2013-06-13 08:25, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Fool, that sounds awesome. They love those rocket balloons. I use them as well, but how do you release 12 at a time.

I use my standing floor-pump to inflate them at one plunge each, then it's a tricky matter of holding them by the nozzles in a cluster. It can be done though. And I always do a wrong-counting or wrong-color routine with the kids as I'm filling them.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2013-06-14 01:41, Bob1Dog wrote:
Al, why don't you send him over to the http://www.magicbistro.com to get to the Jolly Roger? We know he's there. Certainly an inferior website to the Magic Café, but at least tell the truth brother.

Mmm. Mostly working pros on that site so I can see why you wouldn't value their opinions.

:)
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I started out as a children's magician, but then cornered the bar/batmitzvah market (12-13 year olds) as a DJ/Magician. And eventually I returned to my passion of doing kids parties after having a couple of my own kids. But the beauty of having done bar/batmitzvahs for the past 20 years is that I became an expert at entertaining kids for up to 5 hours using plenty of games, dance activities and magic. Without exaggeration, I probably have upwards of 50 different games/activities to choose from which makes answering your question a real challenge!

You mentioned some popular games, but the choices you make depends completely on the age group, venue, length of your show, your comfort level, and expectations of your client. If you're only doing a 30-40 minute magic show, you shouldn't have to fill too much time with games, although 1 short activity at the beginning or the end can serve a good purpose for warming up the group or wrapping up the party (especially with a Mummy Wrap!) before dessert.

If you do the Mummy Wrap as you mentioned, do yourself and your clients a favor by following it up with a toilet paper collecting contest. I play Mission Impossible and offer a prize to the kid that collects the most paper by the end of the song. That leaves the room as spotless as it was when you arrived and really engages the kids. I have them line up when the song ends and tell them that all their paper must land in the bag I'm holding if they want to be judged for the prize. I usually give every kid harmless candy like a Starburst or some meaningless chachka just for participating so that there are no losers and so that nobody goes home empty handed.

I like incorporating games in my show when it makes sense so that I can offer a longer and more unique overall experience that can command and justify more money. And along with the right games, you can also make good money packaging in party favors and prizes to compliment the activities if you so desire. Even something as simple as a conga line to music lends itself well for offering tambourines & maracas, and leis/glow necklaces work well for a limbo. I personally combine the conga line with the limbo and use my bubble machine as they go under the stick. But if you're forte is not controlling a group unless they're seated, then avoid this stuff altogether in my opinion! I personally take great pride in having mastered controlled chaos, but you have to love what you do and pick your games wisely based on all the criteria I mentioned above.

- Gary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do you put on games for kids parties? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL