The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Criticism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Greg the Great
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
39 Posts

Profile of Greg the Great
I would like to post my rendition of the Mark Wilson Billiard Ball routine up here to get some constructive criticism. The audio isn't amazing, but I hope you will enjoy none the less. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOkrk2tF3og&feature=youtu.be
-Greg Carlson
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Greg,

Well, because of your comment about the sound (and because I was listening to one of my favorite albums when I started reading your post), I watched this for the first time with the "mute" on...

...and I liked what I saw. Even with the sound down, your poise and overall look said to me, "This'll probably be worth a few minutes of my time." You handled the screeching feedback well, getting the act back on track after what must have been an uncomfortable start.

It looks like your basic manipulation is sound (I have one remark that I'll save for a PM), and the routine seems to work for you. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer billiard balls done as silent manipulation, but I enjoyed watching this.

About the only sizable suggestion I'd make on an open forum is that you try building up the magical moments a little more. The vanish you do at 2:38 actually did this fairly well--you played up the magical action of making the ball vanish a bit more, and I think it helped the response. Partly because of your "I'd like to do this trick, but I can't" presentation, I think you're doing a lot of the productions and vanishes almost
as throwaway moments, when, to the audience, they could really be quite special if you played them up a little more.

(not that you were really lacking for good audience reaction, but I think highlighting the magic moments might boost the audience reaction more)

Just slowing down a little will help. I felt that the ball vanish at 1:32 was a little lost in the shuffle, that by slowing down the blocking, you could have made the effect a little clearer:

(Display three balls, let the effect register)
(Make eye contact with someone in the front row, and address him/her) "would you like to inspect one of these for me?"
(Pause for their response, then) "OK--catch!"
(take the ball, toss it out)
(ball vanishes)
(react to it yourself, as the audience reacts)

This way, each moment in this little mini story of "The Ball Vanishes" is made clear to the audience, each necessary mental picture that makes the magic happen is clearly presented as a separate beat.

I felt that the "I can't really do this trick" presentation also caused you to squash your applause at 3:30. The transposition of the ball got a really good response, but you stepped on the applause by talking over it, causing the audience to stop applauding as you explained that you "can't show that trick". Since it's your big finish, perhaps play it up as more of a "ta-dah" moment? Perhaps by explaining that "this trick is
easier to do with a special coat, but I'll show this last bit The Hard Way"?

That said, I felt that the "I'd like to show this trick but I can't" presentation undercuts the magical impact of the routine. You start off the routine with the premise of "I can't do this", then more or less drop the premise at 1:30, when you produce the 3rd and 4th balls. At 2:05, you go back to say, "Remember everyone, that's not the trick I wanted to show" line. I do think that at some point before then, you should just cleanly transition into the premise of "OK, I was just teasing you, I really can do this". The audience catches on quickly that the "I can't
do this" premise is just a put-on, so I feel that you should leave it behind quickly, or perhaps at least do the magic that you "can't do" with a bit more of a "wink".

But that's really just my opinion, based on my own taste. I think you could probably do the routine more or less as you have it scripted for years to come, and you'd have a solid, entertaining routine that you and your audiences will enjoy.

Thanks for sharing this!
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Those MBB on stage are kinda lost in a wash-out. Maybe it's the camcorder. I dunno. Ya know, I sincerely hope we advance our technology soon, to GET RID OF poor-quality, blurry, almost unwatchable videos that permeate YouTube.

Someday "bandwidth" will be a thing of the past. Bit rates, and all that too. Thing is, my computer CANNOT HANDLE my camcorder's HD setting! Again...we're still in the dark ages. Buffering, pausing...stops and starts...it gets INFURIATING! Smile

Here we are in 2013, and we STILL cannot get a good clear video on YouTube! Helllp! Someone come up with a way to fix this!!!

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Doug, YouTube has an auto edit button now, it is better then any editor on the market. It makes dark pictures perfect exposure, colors excellent. I wish they would have it for download, as then home video would be easier to fix.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm sure the ability to see this clearly was not much of an issue at the auditorium, sans maybe the back few rows. The reaction and comments coming from the audience told me they could see it just fine.

I'm sure one day, video will be as good as natural eyesight. 3-D is trying to catch up. But video does have one distinct advantage now... at this point, our eyes cannot zoom in and out. Perhaps one day.

@ Greg - I agree with Ronin on many points, especially the idea of early ditching the concept of "I don't know how to do this trick." The audience will only buy it until they see you actually do it. You might as well head off any potential for problems by embracing the fact that everyone is in the know. Everyone can appreciate the little teasing, but to try and perpetuate the hoax once it is obvious is headed toward BS, and someone will eventually call you on it. No reason why you'd want that.

I am generally a fan of doing MBB to music, but I have seen several good routines done while speaking. Your audience seemed to appreciate the interaction, and talking to them did help set up the initial premise. You might even consider combining the two (music and patter). This could give the act another dimension, and might also make it possible to cut way back on the amount of verbalizing you do without leaving a lot of empty space in the act. It can augment the action when there are no words spoken.

Learn to separate your elements. There should be time for talking and listening, and time for watching and absorbing the visual elements. I've heard an old theater adage that advises, "Don't step on your lines." In other words, don't confuse the moment with action when you want them to listen. The opposite should be true as well.

Definitely leave them time to react and applaud, but use caution when and how you acknowledge it. If you are supposed to be surprised by the magic, don't immediately go for a Ta-Da moment. Doing so presents mixed messages. You'll find your timing for things like that.

Your technique is pretty good. I only noticed a couple minor things that could use a little work. No big deal. It will smooth out with repeated peformance. I especially like that you've managed to incorporate a nice acquitment without falling into the trap of hand-washing. Kudos on that alone! Keep up the good work!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Greg the Great
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
39 Posts

Profile of Greg the Great
Thankyou for the tips Mr. Baker and Ronin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Criticism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL