The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straitjacket and card in mouth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I am in agreement with Kondi, Dave, Jay and the others. It shouldn't be mixed. However, using comedy with a Sj is okay, it kinda comes natural with the escape in the beginning, my viewpoint on this is comedy up to the point of the escape starts - then should be on a serious note/feat.

Talking about some crazy Sj stuff, It reminds me when I performed the SJ escape on a party bus. OMG, it was so much fun and a real challenge. When the bus turned and or stopped I flew around.... lol
When we arrived to the party, people were talking about how cool it was and the party/event host was very pleased that her party was a hit before it "officially" started and wished I was able to be on both buses at the same time performing. lol

Here are some photos of it....
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=......f_t=like

cheers
Curtis
Wolf Fisher
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Wolf Fisher
Thanks, fellows!

I appreciate all what you expressed, and as I said before, you might be right! I don´t say that I will do it, it is in my head and I am thinking about it. To be sure, I would have to try, having failure or success. And that is not clear I will try, as I put your opinions together with my opinion and make up my own decision. Then I´d listen to my most important director if it stays in my repertoire or not - and this director is the real world audience.

It seems no one realized the reason why I posted this fact question here, and why I hoped that someone would try to help by simply answering my question without judging: before I even think about trying this idea "CiM & SJ", I wanted to know WHO INVENTED IT, if I would touch any performance rights. If so, the idea is out anyhow immediately! I am just in the process of finding an idea that somehow appeals to me, that I MIGHT try.

The only one who was at least trying to give an answer to my question is Dave Matkin, and the way he puts his thougts about the matter is indeed very helpful, as he tried to give an honest answer to an honest question. Doing this, he put some personal feelings in the answer, based on first hand experience as a witness. That helps, as he pointed out some theatrical problems in the real situation that would have to be solved. His answer goes to the right direction. THAT was really helpful, thanks again, Dave!

I close this post now, as we don´t come forward. No one can, wants and I suppose will so far give an answer, but a lot of more and more neverending thoughts that do not answer the question at all about a fact (except Dave). Instead giving the real information asked for, there is lots of advice why it is a bad idea and why this will not work, why YOU don´t like it. That´s all ok, but this post is not "What do you think" or "Where does the SJ work best" or "Is it a great idea or not", "Would you do it", "Do you like it", --- just "Who invented it".

Rather bizarre.

We don´t come to an end or a conclusion, so let´s bury that topic. If I had known that I will not get info, but will be judged, cursed and preferably executed for only thinking about something that you might like or not (that´s how I feel, reading between the lines), I´d never asked here. I was much too naive, didn´t think that I would hurt your feelings about the art, and that was never the intention. I apologize for that.

Thank you again, and sorry for asking for a fact. It will not happen again, as I do not want to hurt anyone´s feelings. It seems better to investigate facts in a different way.

Best whishes, bless you! I am sure you only wanted to help.

Wolf
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Wolf welcome to how things work in the section of the forum. Smile

Threads are highjacked, people make silly jokes and lots of personal insults.

Sorry you have to experience such, but scroll through lots of the BS and you can eventually find useful information.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I answered your question the best I could... I've performed the SJ / Card in Mouth combo. I don't know if anyone else has ever done it before me. Probably. Nothing is truly new, just new right now.

I've also done Card in Mouth combined with a sack escape. The deck being thrown in to the bag with me. Come out holding a card. It's the wrong one. Cough, splutter and a card comes out my mouth. At least that's it in a nut shell.

Card in Mouth with hands cuffed behind my back was another stunt I used to do when I worked as a bartender at TGI Fridays some 14 or so years ago. I never escaped the cuffs, they were used as proof I couldn't manipulate the cards with my hands. Essentially it was Simon Lovell's Card in Mouth from one of his books (I forget which one, but on the cover he's looking in to a mirror fanning cards).

All ideas I had myself, all most likely performed many times before me by numerous people. But I've never seen any of them in print anywhere. So I couldn't say by who (or is it whom?) they were performed by. Maybe one of the older chaps can cast more light on it.

What is true, is that Simon Lovell did in deed create a very good comedy SJ routine. And sadly that routine is rehashed by the majority of people who perform a comedy SJ bit.

If you ever find out who created the card in mouth / SJ routine I'd love to know.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straitjacket and card in mouth (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL