The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to get genuine applause in your show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hey guys,

I was just doing a show for a kids party, and there were 20 girls ages around 7 years. They were so well behaved, and while they absolutely loved the show, they needed to be conditioned to applause. Without it, it can feel like performing magic to a brick wall at times.
This goes for any audience, here are a few things I have learned over the years.
A general rule is to never pressure your audience to applause for you. Never say a line like "this is the part where you are supposed to applause". It looks desperate and tacky, with the exception, if done by a seasoned performer.

In my opinion there are a couple of ways to condition your audience to applause.
First is to ask them to applause for your volunteers. "Please give a big round of applause to Jack!" after a couple of these, the applauses will come naturally when you cue for it.
As for cueing for the applause after your effect, a slight bow and an appropriate one liner to sum up your effect should bring on an applause - once they are conditioned for it.

This will keep your confidence and show going smoothly.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I like the idea of "conditioning" them to applaud for the volunteers. This is more than a bit unnatural, especially in kids - more natural is to mock and tear down. But we can elevate the whole atmosphere of our show, including how we are seen by our audience, with this one thing.

Thanks, Scott!
Ed
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might want to take a tip from David Ginn's experienced approach to kids' magic: develop a warm-up (pre show) approach that results in your audience getting to know & like you in addition to educating them in the finer art of showing appreciation for your magical feats by applauding. All this b-4 the "real" show starts.

Julie
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
You condition them to encourage others, not genuinely congratulate you... The notion of applause as a proof of satisfaction for seven year olds might just not be there... I'd strive for gasps, not applauses...

P!
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks for the comments. Ado, good point too. My show has some strong magic that is very visual and I do get the silence & gasps, and at other times in my show it is funny and exciting, where the kids naturally make a racquet of laughter.
It's amazing how different effects mixed with personality of the performer can generate different reactions.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I tend to agree with Ado.

Adults applaud when they think they are supposed to. (Nothing annoys me more then the way the "standing-O" has become almost socially obligatory.)

Gasps, laughs and exclamations are much more real signs of appreciation of magic at just about any age
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Even with gasps, I really like it to be followed by applause. It is a good release of tension.
Even though the kids are young, we can provide them a lesson in life about applauding and it's purpose.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Just adding more to support what have been said. Your question is similar but different to asked a while ago. I wrote a blog about the matter so below is a link. It dose also cover what's been covered. Tell the audience what you expect and give clear cues on what to do when. Also as you do something a lot your notice when the crowd responds and how. A this helps with the oppiste of what you ask. Magicians ploughing on not giving the crowd time to react or respond.

http://alzebediah.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09......owd.html

Hope you enjoy
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Yellowcustard

Your reflections on this issue in your blog were worth reading.

Yes there are a variety of different "appropriate" responses - I find that often when my audience is amazed and show it by starring with their mouths open - that it is agreat opportunity for humour by pointing out to them that the "blank look of amazement" is what I was hoping for - and that clapping is also ok. I find that this interaction and reflection on what is an appropriate response helps to establish our conection with each other.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
Two quick remarks.

When I read to children at my library, I find I get more applause when I successfully "put a bow" on the ending. In other words, if I really end the story, if I make it clear that the story has concluded by using the tone of my voice, expression, gesture, etc., cadence, etc., etc., then I get more applause than when I fail to do so. Generally speaking. Make sure the ending lands. That it "sticks the landing."

I also like to have my props take a bow in order to prompt and encourage applause. It gives the books a little more personality, and is just one cute little bit of flair I add to my storytimes. Cards lend themselves better to taking a bow since they can bend better than books can.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
PaulSharke to great real life examples of the words we use begin cues. And a prop delivering a cue. Also don't be afraid to ask for it. Jimmy talks a lot dose this great by shyly saying "oh I be clapping by now"

Thank you troppobob. Some nice real life examples begin explained.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, today's audiences need to be prompted to applaud, there are not many live theaters that the masses go to any longer. Today we don't applaud the television or at the movies. Therefore it has to be prompted or taught to your younger generations.

Heck, David Copperfield has several yellers and applaud stooges in every show he does. If you ever attend one of his shows, listen and the then turn an look, it is usually guys that look like they are from the New York Mafia.

Children especially need to be taught, David Ginn has all kinds of pre-show items that lets the kids know it is okay to yell, and clap their hands.

Before people jumping to conclusions why not research the books and DVDs by the Children magicians that have been do it for 50 years. It is never to late to get good advice from a real expert.

Search out David Ginn and Samuel Patrick Smith for starters. They have tons of material on presenting good children magic shows.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day everyone
I was just recalling Bill Abbotts five card repeat routine that he calls "The Five Card Opener".
That whole routine is about establishing responses from the audience. This is a clever approach to this issue.
You can see this perfromed by Bill Abbott on you tube.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Bill Abbotts Five Card Opener is an awesome way to opener a show! I have used this many many times and it works really well in letting the audience know that it is ok, even desirable, to respond to the show. This serves well in breaking down any walls between you and the audience. It also establishes that the show is going to be lots of fun!
I have also used the "Applause" sign with great results - however, this is not good for a very young crowd as they may not be able to read the sign.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Audiences are sometimes uncertain as to when/whether it's okay to clap. They've been conditioned by some performances that have "false endings" (that is, you think it's over, but there's a 'zinger' coming next) that they're often unsure as to whether anything's really over without a clear signal.

I try to incorporate assistants in each of my effects:

"What's your name?"
"Bill"
"Everyone give a hand to Bill the Brave as he makes his way to the stage"

After the effect is *really* over, I throw some sort of stance (stomping on the straitjacket, throwing my hands in the air, etc), then immediately point at the volunteer. A clear signal.

Once you've gotten the applause "kick-started," it's a matter of rewarding applause to keep it going. This is far different than begging or demanding.

I've found that the audience responds best to people who *accept* applause well, rather than dismissively. It's rewarding for the person on the stage to respond to you after something you've done. *You've* now gotten a reaction from *Him/Her*. Let them know that you appreciate the energy their providing you from their applause.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Don't condition the audience. I think your performance should speak for itself and generate applause if it was entertaining. One night with little or no applause would be an exception, several nights should be a wake up call, you aren't entertaining the audience or your material does not fit your audiences ( children for example I would never expect them to clap on their own).
vinh.giang
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
132 Posts

Profile of vinh.giang
Wow great contributions from everyone, learnt quite a few things from this post!

I believe that if you structure and script your show in a certain way, your audience will know exactly when to applaud. I usually have a fairly quick pace during a performance but when I am about the finish the trick I really slow my speech down as I do the reveal and the moment I do the 'reveal' I immediately clap my hands together and say thank you. This usually cues the audience to applaud every time (this is usually for the finale). The applauses during the shows are usually quite natural, if the 'magic moment' is well built people will feel the natural urge to applaud at that point. Wow this is harder to explain than I thought! I hope you get what I mean.

Thanks for sharing such good advice!
"Rather a mind opened by wonder, than one closed by belief."

www.vinhgiang.com.au
www.facebook.com/askvinh
www.twitter.com/askvinh
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I do a lot of kid and family shows where the magic is done by the kids. I direct most of the applause towards them. I even will announce the child when he comes onto the stage " please welcome Julie , appearing in her first feet of magic onstage, Lets give her a round if applause " and cue them to clap. When they do something magical , I'll wave my arm and point towards them.
whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
I've had it happen too. There are gasps and exclamations but not a single clap. This is good, in that the effect really landed, but landed so well they're stunned. Or maybe no one is comfortable being the first one to clap in an intimate (<15 spec) setting. But as someone said earlier, applause releases tension. It brings closure, provides a moment to setup for what's next.

My go-to line when this happens is to say in a good-natured but vaguely sarcastic manner with a big smile, "no no! Please! This isn't difficult at all!" which gets good laughs and applause along with it. Obviously would not fly for a kids show, though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to get genuine applause in your show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL