The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ideas for trick teaching about Faith (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainbolt66
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of brainbolt66
I have deserts of the sand, and another trick where water changes from colors. I am wanting to talk about faith with these tricks. Any suggestions? Or any other ideas explaining faith to 3rd - 6th graders? Thanks in advance for the comments.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Always liked to use slush powder. Faith often doesn't make sense until we believe and know.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What exactly is it about faith do you want to talk about?
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
The message about faith and sands of the desert could be conveyed as when your life has been drenched in sin (dropping sand in the water), and then "stirred" into turmoil so it feels like there is no way to get your spiritual life back together, God has a plan for you to make you new again. Then explain how it's through Jesus sacrifice that we can make the decision to become whole again. It takes faith to know this will happen if you make the decision to commit your life to Christ.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
brainbolt66
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of brainbolt66
Danny-the theme of their camp for the week is "Bringing Faith Alive"
Scottds80- thank you, that got my mind going,
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I like to use the story of the French tight rope walker. He was the first to walk across Niagara Fall on a tight rope. After he did that, he carried his manager across on his back.

The message used involves getting people to imagine they were there:
- Before you saw him go across, how many thought he could succeed? (no one)
- Now, how many think he can do it? (everyone)
- Before you saw him carry his manager across on his shoulders, how many thought he could succeed? (no one)
- Now, how many think he can do it? (everyone)

Great, who wants to go next?

I've used this to illustrate the difference between an intellectual assent, and being ready to put your trust/faith in a person (Jesus in this case).

To use magic to illustrate this, I've worked on several methods of hanging a rope across to pillars(candle sticks), and then link a ring around the rope to illustrate Blondine going across, then link a second ring around the first to represent the manager on Blondine's back.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
The story I heard was he is going to cross the Falls with a wheel barrel. How many think he can do it? (Many) How many of you would agree to get in the wheel barrel?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Barrie Richardson has a great effect he uses in his motivational speaking where a coffee cup is wound round a stick. When it is unwound, it would seem that the cup would crash to the ground. It doesn't of course - thanks to physics - but imagine how powerful such an effect would be for teaching the concept of faith.

Another that comes to mind is the venerable knife in a jar of rice effect.

Best,
Vlad
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 06:22, MagicBus wrote:
The story I heard was he is going to cross the Falls with a wheel barrel. How many think he can do it? (Many) How many of you would agree to get in the wheel barrel?

He may have done both. I think one time he went out with a stove and fried some food while on the tight rope. Yet while visiting the falls, I saw a picture of him carrying a man (possibly the manager), and articles I read indicated that initially another man was supposed to be carried over, but he chickened out. His manager was then pressed into service. Either way it is quite a story, and can be used to illustrate different types of "faith".

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Barry Mitchell uses his effect Moo Masher to illustrate faith... the difference between believing and having faith.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
When I was going through my Prostate/cancer surgery - the idea of taking 2 pcs of typing paper with the word Anxiety and Tension printed on them - placing them together - tear them into 4ths and then - fold - and bring out a string of Angels - I thought of naming them Hope(to get well) Faith (through our Lord will get well) Patience (be a patient patient) Joy (getting well with the Faith,Patience,& Hope of the LORD). ANy comments ?? - Also Doing well (its been 10 weeks) at PEACE. Bless you all for your Prayers -Ralph (russo)Rousseau.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I'm with Vlad. Anything that could endanger a valuable item or yourself is a good illustration. Ever think of trying an egg roulette? It's appropriate for kids. If you trust your abilities you'll risk getting gooey. Or you can bring a volunteer up and ask if he trusts you. If he has faith in your ability he'll risk getting egg on his face (though I prefer the performer take all the risk so he won't look like a bully).
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 00:54, Mike Ince wrote:
Ever think of trying an egg roulette? It's appropriate for kids. If you trust your abilities you'll risk getting gooey.

Egg Roulette, now there's a trick that's destined to become a classic in magic! Smile

I don't know about using that to teach about Christian faith in Jesus, but I love the thought/sound of playing "egg roulette". That would be a better "danger" type trick for kids, than hand through spike. Any thoughts? routines? or methods? There are a few related routines with names like "water monte" that are easy to do with sp, but eggs? that's a whole new level of "fun". Although my thinking is that there would only be a perceived threat of messing up (or making a mess); for it to be magic.

A start: have 4 children come up, show 5 paper bags, and put a real egg in one of them. Shuffle the bags when they have their backs turned (you may or may not do a switch at that point, or use a gimmicked bag, or a pull..). Then let them pick a bag one at a time, and "test" the contents by breaking it over their head, or inverting it over/onto their head or over another child's head.
The one that's left over would be the magicians (which would contain a real egg).

I would love to hear ideas on this. I think young boys would love this "play", even if there was no magic involved (especially if they got to crush the contents over another child's head.

I hope I didn't drag this thread too off topic;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Faith is an interesting concept.

When considering how to illustrate any concept with an illusion, you first need to be sure that fully understand the concept.

What is Faith?
Faith is trust.
Trust that what God has said is true.
Trust that he loved us before we even knew Him.
Trust that we will spend eternity with Him.

But Faith is empty without testing that trust.

As Satan said to God, when God said; consider my servant Jobe. Satan responded, he loves you because you bless him.

Good point in an earlier post about believing being different from faith.

I grew up in Church, attending Sunday school, vacation Bible schools, and more. I knew there was a God.

I simply had no relationship with Him. The truth is that I was God in my Life and there was no room for another one. I was successful company President, rich, big house, trophy wife, lots of cars. Then I lost all of my world possessions. That was 30+ years ago.

It was only when I had fallen so far down, that the only direction I could look was up, that I came to know Him.

Am I Blessed! Indeed I am! Is everything as good as it could be in my life? Not by a long shot. Diagnosis of Terminal Lung cancer and 6 month prognosis, lost my only child, my son and best friend to smoke inhalation in a house fire. His son, my namesake grandson is hooked on drugs. But yet I am blessed!

I know that you all know the meaning of Faith. I simply wanted to remind us all, myself included, how Blessed we are in spite of our circumstances, to have the God of all Eternity, as our Lord and Savior, or to even know our names.

Russo, I wish you best. I will pray that God heal and comfort you. Uncertainty is single certainty with cancer. What will tomorrow bring? What does that pain mean?

But trusting in God, Faith! Sure Helps, doesn't it!

Because in the face of cancer's uncertainty, we have the certain promise of eternity with Him!

By the way, that six month prognosis came nearly six years ago. I still have cancer. But I am still here!

I liked the idea of the egg roulette. It has potential.

I am also thinking about cards, since I always carry cards. I do a series of routines with a regular deck of cards demonstrating God's attributes of Omniscience, Omnipresence, and Omnipotence.

A finger chopper could be a test of faith.

Enough rambling. God Bless

Doctor Cognos
aka Brother David
The Doctor Knows.....
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
In another stream - the issue is not just about my faith, but what I am putting my faith/trust/confidence in.

So you could do a trick like an egg bag, where you pretend to hide the egg under your arm. (The kids think you're trying to fool them with bad sleight of hand). The kids don't trust you - you're just tricking them (etc). This way you could talk not just about faith/trust - but who we trust. God is worth trusting because his words are sure, Jesus really is who he said he is, etc. God hasn't tricked us...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ideas for trick teaching about Faith (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL