The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Slim Whitman- RIP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Obviously, James Gandolfini is getting all the press. But largely unnoticed yesterday was the death at age 90 of Country Crooner/Yodeler Slim Whitman. RIP Slim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAbj_E9OUZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH64weKPF60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ON5DRZGQg
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Slim had a very unique style and voice. I wasn't a fan or anything, but I remember hearing his records when I was a kid.

R.I.P.

:(
Mister Mystery
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Back in the 1970's Whitman was one of the first to exploit late night local television with cheap commercials advertising his "greatest hits," which were mostly blatant imitations of Eddie Arnold hits like "Cattle Call," etc. You know the type of commercial- studio videos of a lip synching performer doing excerpts from different "hits" while the titles scroll up the screen. "Order Now! Only $5.99 with FREE SHIPPING! Not Available in Stores." (Which always made me wonder WHY they weren't available in stores.)

An enterprising fellow for sure.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Had anyone ever really heard of him before his TV sales? He had that high clear cowboy voice that was distinctive, very easy to listen to. I wonder how long he kept singing. I think he made himself famous just by declaring his presence. The commercials presumed everyone knew who he was, and I think no one did until then. Des anyone know of his career before the comercials?

Nice voice,long life.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Just found this:

Quote:
...he never achieved the level of stardom in the United States that he did in Britain, where he had a number of other hits during the 1950s.[5] Throughout the early 1970s, he continued to record and was a guest on Wolfman Jack's television show The Midnight Special.[6] At the time, Whitman's recording efforts were yielding only minor hits.

In 1979, Whitman produced a TV commercial to support Suffolk Marketing's release of a greatest hits compilation titled All My Best, which went on to be the best-selling TV-marketed record in music history, with almost 1.5 million units sold. Just For You (also under the Suffolk umbrella), followed in 1980, with a commercial that claimed Whitman "was number one in England longer than Elvis and The Beatles." The Best followed in 1982, with Whitman concluding his TV marketing with Best Loved Favorites in 1989 and 20 Precious Memories in 1991.

The TV albums made Whitman (briefly) a household name in America for the first time in his career, resulting in everything from a first-time appearance on The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson to Whitman being spoofed in a comic skit on SCTV with him (played by Joe Flaherty) starring in the Che-like male lead in an Evita-like Broadway musical on the life of Indira Gandhi. More importantly, the TV albums gave him a brief resurgence in mainstream country music with new album releases on major labels and a few new singles making the country chart. During this time he toured Europe and Australia with moderate success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Whitman
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
When I was about 12 the whole family packed into the car and we drove about two and a half hours (on a school night) to a nearby regional city to see Slim Whitman in concert (though his son did an awful lot of the singing). The event really stands out in my mind because a two and a half hour trip was quite an event for us back in the early 70's.

He had wonderful stage presence - very charismatic.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-06-20 21:36, mastermindreader wrote:
Back in the 1970's Whitman was one of the first to exploit late night local television with cheap commercials advertising his "greatest hits," which were mostly blatant imitations of Eddie Arnold hits like "Cattle Call," etc. You know the type of commercial- studio videos of a lip synching performer doing excerpts from different "hits" while the titles scroll up the screen. "Order Now! Only $5.99 with FREE SHIPPING! Not Available in Stores." (Which always made me wonder WHY they weren't available in stores.)

An enterprising fellow for sure.

Well, there's a respectful sendoff. I wouldn't call recording a song that has been previously recorded by another artist a "blatant imitation". I guess Eddy Arnold was just doing a blatant imitation of Tex Owen. Slim Whitman didn't need to imitate anybody, and the man could sing. Show a little respect or don't post at all on a RIP thread.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes, sir!

Wasn't meant to be disrespectful at all. The fact that he was the early king of late night TV record marketing shows that he was very enterprising indeed. And yes, he could sing. But all I remember was him touting Arnold's "Cattle Call" as one of his "greatest hits."

It wasn't.

But that said, I enjoyed his singing and apologize for any disrespect that may have been conveyed in my post.

May he RIP.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
If we can trust wikipedia, Whitman hit #11 on the US country charts with his version of "The Cattle Call" in 1955. He appears to have hit #1 in the UK once ("Rose Marie" in 1954) and hit #2 in the USA twice ("Indian Love Call" in 1952 and "Secret Love" in 1954.)

I had never heard of him until the K-Tel records of the '70s either.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The similarity between the styles of Slim Whitman and Eddie Arnold is probably not entirely coincidental, given that Whitman was discovered by Arnold's then manager, Col. Tom Parker.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-06-21 14:17, mastermindreader wrote:
The similarity between the styles of Slim Whitman and Eddie Arnold is probably not entirely coincidental, given that Whitman was discovered by Arnold's then manager, Col. Tom Parker.

The Dutch have produced a long line of winners in western civilization. Very clever and industrious people, the Dutch. Interesting that the colonel began his career as a carny barker.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Slim singing "Rose Marie": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZIKbJziq......AE152A06

Even Andy Kaufman was a fan, singing "Rose Marie" on Letterman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47Xl4A98OU
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I too, remember when Slim Whitman first began appearing on late night TV infomercials. There was a certain campiness to them, as they tended to emphasize the yodelling aspects of his singing style. He had to have an incredible voice to do that. What I remember most though, is that he was my step-dad's doppelganger. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Slim Whitman- RIP (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL